Is keap really better than Boykin?

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Not be be about sitting for anthem or him not signed, but when we brought him in people claimed he's much better than Boykin. I liked what I saw tonight. I know it's preseason, but I'm happy with what I saw. I think Boykin can read the field better.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Difficult to compare the two because we've never seen Kaep play behind an offensive line this bad.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1jyc96c9 said:
Difficult to compare the two because we've never seen Kaep play behind an offensive line this bad.

I'm so sick of this crap. The o line played pretty well tonight. Why don't you wait and see how they play before you slam them like this?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1qe0np8b said:
brimsalabim":1qe0np8b said:

I'm so sick of this crap. The o line played pretty well tonight. Why don't you wait and see how they play before you slam them like this?

The first team was terrible.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The first team D wasn't all that hot either. It's the first game of preseason—too soon to make declarations one way or the other.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2li3nah1 said:
brimsalabim":2li3nah1 said:

Fwiw The analysts on the NFL network said our line was awful in both pass pro and run blocking and then showed plays backing up that assessment.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
sc85sis":1649teu1 said:
The first team D wasn't all that hot either. It's the first game of preseason—too soon to make declarations one way or the other.
Chargers moped the field on that first possession but could have had as much to do with rust as anything else.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
brimsalabim":zqm2mywh said:
Jimjones0384":zqm2mywh said:
brimsalabim":zqm2mywh said:

Fwiw The analysts on the NFL network said our line was awful in both pass pro and run blocking and then showed plays backing up that assessment.

True, and I agree that even the eye test was bad for not only the OL, but the 1st team defense as a whole.

Difference is that it was one series. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they play for a qtr or 2 (3rd PS game). That will be way more telling of the progress or lack thereof.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yes he is. He has proven he can take his team to the playoffs and win. Boykin has not thus far.

Josea16

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":ikkkuebx said:
brimsalabim":ikkkuebx said:

Exactly. I didn't see multiple sacks anywhere. I did see serious ballhawks on both sides of this team like 2013-14 though. JS is a god and a lot of people around here better start appreciating what is happening in Seattle before it's gone.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Pocic is both a technician and a punisher. Guy might be the best linemen drafted in the Cable era (I know not the greatest feat). If Pocic continues to grow and he should, it wouldn't have bothered me at all if he was the first pick of our draft. He made his presence known and he made it look easy... Like no issues adjusting or adapting. He definitely has more work to put in at tackle. But he looked like a future All-Pro at Center.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
brimsalabim":bt07o3ph said:
sc85sis":bt07o3ph said:
Chargers moped the field on that first possession but could have had as much to do with rust as anything else.

Chargers followed the same blueprint that destroyed the zone concepts back in 2014 and every team has tried to emulate afterwards.

If anything it was chip thrown at Carroll and Richard that the same weakness still exists and its time to change it up.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) Let me know how Pocic does against starters and I will rate him

2) The defense plays more simplistically in the pre-season. Not going to judge them based on one serie where they are not going with full preparation

3) The o-line on the other hand can be judged based on one serie. It was bad like we guessed. I am just hoping that they get their communication going and improve to resemble a starting o-line

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Getting back to the original post, (gawd I hate it when people take a legit thread topic sideways), what I saw was p[lenty to tell me Boykin can (and probably will) be the backup. No, he's not a starter, but he's good enough to play if Wilson goes down.

OP
OP
425HawkSpark

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I like what Boykin showed in looking at reads, and making decent throws. He has wheels. No he has not played in a big game like keap, but he hasn't got a shot. Not that I want him to see the field as Wilson is better. But I think Boykin is fearless, and young. A guy who is not scared, keap doesn't trust what he sees. Just another showing of our great FO and the work they do.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2358nlxr said:

With the limits of "real contact" placed on Defensive players in Training Camp, I tend to agree that it was "rust" discovering that this was what football contact is really like. Can't wait to see if the Hawks can play with the same intensity this Friday night.