One positive - One negative

iigakusei

Reaction score
What do you think?

Mine are:
Positive - Pocic, thought he looked awesome.

Negative - Collins, he isn't bad but he just doesn't do anything really well. Bye bye.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Agree with the others, but to post something different

Pos-Boykin

Neg-first team defense

Granted, one drive in 1st preseason game, but still

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Positive: Defensive line depth.

Negative: Alex Collins. If he makes the cut over Carson, I'll be livid

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Positive - Offensive skill position depth

Negative - O-line is still below replacement level collectively (Ifedi in particular was horrid)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Positive: Depth like we haven't seen the last few years

Negative: O line is better but still not where I'd like to see them

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Positives: No injuries except Paul Richardson's shoulder, Nazair Jones, Cassius Marsh, Trevone Boykin, Kasen Williams, Chris Carson, Mike Davis (can he play FB?), Terence Garvin, Blair Walsh, Justin Britt, Ethan Pocic, George Fant, Luke Joeckel, etc.

Negatives: Right side of the starting offensive line in both run game & pass pro, lack of pass rush from Rubin/Reed, late covering the TE, getting completely shredded again by Phillip Rivers, nothing inspiring from Rawls/Lacy, etc.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Our backups were much better than the charger back ups.

I realize we got a very small working sample but:

Our starters on both sides of the ball were out played. Hopefully the rust was removed though.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2017":12rrxuj6 said:
Positives: No injuries except Paul Richardson's shoulder, Nazair Jones, Cassius Marsh, Trevone Boykin, Kasen Williams, Chris Carson, Mike Davis (can he play FB?), Terence Garvin, Blair Walsh, Justin Britt, Ethan Pocic, George Fant, Luke Joeckel, etc.

Negatives: Right side of the starting offensive line in both run game & pass pro, lack of pass rush from Rubin/Reed, late covering the TE, getting completely shredded again by Phillip Rivers, nothing inspiring from Rawls/Lacy, etc.

Ifedi was quite bad. Slow feet, beat inside, beat outside. Terrible in pass pro as a guard. Early returns awful at RT. I don't know how it was a good idea for him to kick outside. Pocic needs to be there.

ACFan

Reaction score
iigakusei":nso9jxmo said:
Negative - Collins, he isn't bad but he just doesn't do anything really well. Bye bye.

Not sure why you'd single Collins out as a negative.

Rawls averaged 2.5 ypc, so did Lacy, Prosise averaged 3 ypc, Carson also averaged 2.5 ypc

Collins averaged about 1.3 ypc, but he and Carson's avg was low because of the number of short yardage and goal line carries they got. I think over half of Collins were such.

Collins was the most targeted and productive back out of the backfield, 2 catches for 17 yards.

The first 5 plays he came in for he either pass protected or went out for passes, seemed they wanted
to evaluate him in the passing game, then later in short yardage situations.

He got one 1st down carry, that was poorly blocked and he got 3 yards, about the same as everyone else.

Boykin was so hot, we hardly needed a running game, but all RBs seemed to do "OK" with what they were asked to do.

Not sure how you start a thread to call one out as "negative"

Still way early, and if Collins doesn't make the team it's going to be because we overfixed the RB problem and have too many good ones.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
ACFan":3nlk0od9 said:
iigakusei":3nlk0od9 said:

Rawls averaged 2.5 ypc, so did Lacy, Prosise averaged 3 ypc, Carson also averaged 2.5 ypc

Collins averaged about 1.3 ypc, but he and Carson's avg was low because of the number of short yardage and goal line carries they got. I think over half of Collins were such.

Collins was the most targeted and productive back out of the backfield, 2 catches for 17 yards.

The first 5 plays he came in for he either pass protected or went out for passes, seemed they wanted

He got one 1st down carry, that was poorly blocked and he got 3 yards, about the same as everyone else.

Boykin was so hot, we hardly needed a running game, but all RBs seemed to do "OK" with what they were asked to do.

Still way early, and if Collins doesn't make the team it's going to be because we overfixed the RB problem and have too many good ones.

The problem with Collins, is he always seems to just never quite get what he needs to. I liked Collins a lot coming out of college and was happy we grabbed him, but he just hasn't seemed to put it together so far. I felt like Carson showed a lot more and if that trend continues, I see Collins as the odd man out in a few weeks.

Smellyman

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2gc1phnl said:
ACFan":2gc1phnl said:
iigakusei":2gc1phnl said:

The problem with Collins, is he always seems to just never quite get what he needs to. I liked Collins a lot coming out of college and was happy we grabbed him, but he just hasn't seemed to put it together so far. I felt like Carson showed a lot more and if that trend continues, I see Collins as the odd man out in a few weeks.

He is a mauler that can't maul trying to be a dancer that can't dance.

ACFan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2bh6endz said:
The problem with Collins, is he always seems to just never quite get what he needs to..

we can agree to disagree for now, and await further evidence.

He got what he needed on the goal line TD, nice move from a yard and a half out, so he only gets a yard recorded and it hurts his average.

Every back we have was capable of no gain or a 1 yard gain on the multiple short yardage attempts he got with the way they were blocked. Rawls and Prosise probably would have gone backwards, Lacy maybe a yard more.

He got what he needed in the passing game, did a great job there.

It just seems like bias when the good is ignored, and the bad is highlighted, while forgetting Rawls, Lacy and Carson all got stuffed on plays too.

Nobody wowed anyone, and no one stunk it up, I'm happy to leave it at that and await further evidence next week.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Positive: Posic looked very good and hopefully next week we get a chance to see him with the 1's.

Negstive: Like everyone else said Ifedi. I'm not a line expert but he looked like he did last year. I'm not usually negative but he looks like a huge miss. If it's really about competition I hope Posic beats him out. Or better stated I hope someone blows the competition away and demands the position eith their play.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iigakusei

iigakusei

Reaction score
I singled out Collins as a negative because I had high hopes for him and he was in against the Chargers scrubs. Was he the worst player on the field? Of course not. Nothing to do with YPC - it is the eye test. Carson (and even Davis honestly) just look better. I could have picked Ifedi - but I have zero expectation he will turn it around, he just looks lost out there.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
ACFan":3o1yzsdf said:
EverydayImRusselin":3o1yzsdf said:
The problem with Collins, is he always seems to just never quite get what he needs to..

we can agree to disagree for now, and await further evidence.

He got what he needed on the goal line TD, nice move from a yard and a half out, so he only gets a yard recorded and it hurts his average.

Every back we have was capable of no gain or a 1 yard gain on the multiple short yardage attempts he got with the way they were blocked. Rawls and Prosise probably would have gone backwards, Lacy maybe a yard more.

He got what he needed in the passing game, did a great job there.

It just seems like bias when the good is ignored, and the bad is highlighted, while forgetting Rawls, Lacy and Carson all got stuffed on plays too.

Nobody wowed anyone, and no one stunk it up, I'm happy to leave it at that and await further evidence next week.

I was wowed by Carson, actually. Relative to everyone else, I thought he looked the part most often. It isn't just the yards, it's how they get them; how they run. I thought Collins looked easier to tackle than Carson, and far less aggressive. Collins' TD he barely got in and was in a horrible body position and got stood up by a 3rd string LB. He should know that he's gotta be lower than that...yards are just stats. Only the eye can quantify attitude.

Positive: the time our QBs had to throw the ball
Negative: the time Philip had to throw the ball

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Positive: New additions from '16 and '17 look like we'll see quality contributions on the 53 man roster

Negative: Ifedi still has a lot of work to do.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Positive: Chris Carson...finally a guy who runs upright.

Negative: P Rich...hurt yet again...which means more Kearse.