Impressive.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I get it. It's preseason. Don't get too high, don't get too low.

But what I saw tonight was very, very impressive. The OL looked reeeeeally good. Our depth was massively impressive.

Carson and Williams, step right up! We MUST make sure they make the 53.

Collins can go away to make room for Carson. Kearse can go to make room for Williams. Sorry, love what Kearse has done for us but I will take Williams over him right now in a heartbeat.

Boykin, like Huard keeps saying (and he's right) is a "gamer". Who cares what he looks like in training camp? When he plays games against other teams he looks very, very good.

Not many negatives to say tonight outside of our starting D getting bitch slapped in the first series. Grrrrr. Depth stands out. Most points scored in the preseason so far.

Go Hawks!

adeltaY

Reaction score
My, my the depth looked fantastic tonight. I hope those players keep fighting and repeat this kind of performance for the rest of the preseason games. It really felt like our 2nd string and on guys were fired up and competing hard.

Seeing Rivers absolutely smoke the first team defense was... unpleasant. I get it's preseason and guys might not be trying that hard and the schemes are vanilla (zone heavy, not much blitzing), but it wasn't fun to see. Hopefully they first stringers take a look at how hard the younguns are playing.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
There's no reason to temper your enthusiasm this team killed it tonight. The quality of depth is real and I agree on Carson and Williams .

12thbrah

Reaction score
I liked what I saw. Not too concerned about first team defense since it was just one series. I think our depth this year will make a huge positive impact even without Malik.

GLio14

Reaction score
It's crazy, I don't know if it was that we were really good, or the Chargers were that bad? Either way, I loved what I saw.

My guess is that Williams makes the team, especially with Richardson being out with that shoulder injury.

Collins can go, I'm a big Chris Carson fan; from everything that I've been hearing from camp and now from what I saw this game.

Everyone stepped up. Hopefully we can keep this up.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just wished our starting D would have looked a bit more like, well...Our starting D!!

The ease that Rivers took his team down the field against our starters was not fun to see. I get it's preseason and there's no game planning, etc, but we should expect more from what is considered to be a top 3 defense, preseason or not.

Josea16

Reaction score
Aros":yqdwhsab said:
Yep, I get it. It's preseason. Don't get too high, don't get too low.

But what I saw tonight was very, very impressive. The OL looked reeeeeally good. Our depth was massively impressive.

Carson and Williams, step right up! We MUST make sure they make the 53.

Collins can go away to make room for Carson. Kearse can go to make room for Williams. Sorry, love what Kearse has done for us but I will take Williams over him right now in a heartbeat.

Boykin, like Huard keeps saying (and he's right) is a "gamer". Who cares what he looks like in training camp? When he plays games against other teams he looks very, very good.

Not many negatives to say tonight outside of our starting D getting bitch slapped in the first series. Grrrrr. Depth stands out. Most points scored in the preseason so far.

Go Hawks!
So, what you are trying to say is we have 2013 depth and the cuts are going to hurt? Like I keep saying? Except wait for it, Carson being this year's Pope.

Like I said play them heavy? That means they are on the edge.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Aros":3i53mqa1 said:
I just wished our starting D would have looked a bit more like, well...Our starting D!!

The ease that Rivers took his team down the field against our starters was not fun to see. I get it's preseason and there's no game planning, etc, but we should expect more from what is considered to be a top 3 defense, preseason or not.

I would chalk up the starting D's performance to rust. Plus they aren't the ones trying to earn a roster spot. Im sure they held back a little since no point in getting hurt in a meaningless game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not worried about the D, it's the same QB and same TE that exposed the Seahawks back in 2014. And started a dink and dunk concept many offenses used to attack the defensive zones.

Rivers also exposed a rookie CB, who easily could have ended the Chargers first drive had he just tracked the ball.

Growing pains for sure. But it'll come together like it always has, probably.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The backups were much better than the Charger back ups. Our oline has a long long way to go though. They were giving ground on most running plays instead of getting a push. Too small all sample to get worried over but the starting d line got pushed around too.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I wouldn't let the first series of the game let you get too down. First snaps of the year for the defense, pretty sure Cliff, Bennett, and Clark weren't out there, combined with vanilla looks.

Wilson drove the Seahawks offense right down the field as well, stalling with a few yards away from a first down settling for a FG.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
- First team defense got burned by a couple missed assignments and a QB - TE combination capable of capitalizing.
- Our first string offense looked smooth and capable, even if they didn't finish off that first drive with 7 points.
- Our O-line seemed to do a better job in pass pro than run blocking, which is kinda new, but didn't do either great. I also don't think we've settled on a line up yet.
- Our WRs look like a great group, this could be a fun year to be Russell Wilson.
- Little disappointed in our RBs, but it's hard to tell this early, especially with the line being shuffled around so much, but playing with that much of a lead most of the game our run game should have been crushing it.
- Boykin showed why the team stuck with him, and Davis didn't look bad either, that battle continues.

Fun first game overall.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The first drives were typical of first preseason games... in that the starting QBs drove their teams down the field and scored. No cause for concern about our defensive starters.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Having the injuries made the game tougher for me to enjoy. My goal in pre season games is to come out healthy and see what kind of depth we have. We look to be pretty deep this year, but then again, perhaps the Chargers just aren't very deep? Hard to be certain after one game, but I was mostly impressed with our O-line improvement. That was there no matter what else happened. I just wish we'd have come out the other side without the serious injuries

LegendKiller

Reaction score
Highlights:
I know this is only the first preseason game but...

Chris Carson and Kasen Williams really shined. Now that it looks like P Rich might be missing some time, I think there should be a nice battle between Williams, Darboh and Lawler for a starting spot. I was disappointed with Lawler when he dropped that touchdown pass especially because he's known to have good hands.

Chris Carson ran HARD and he fought for every extra yard. He just seemed to have more of a spark than Rawls, Prosise and Lacy.

Our defensive depth looked outstanding. They really played with a fire lit underneath them.

Who's the kicker with the Blair Walsh costume?

Improvements:

I know this is only the first preseason game but...

Our starting D really got torched like that? Rivers took them straight down the field. I know the D probably played a little conservatively in order to avoid injuries but they couldn't force an incomplete pass or stop at all. Earl looked great especially with the hit on Tyrell Williams.

I was disappointed by Shaq Griffin. I was expecting more out of him but hopefully he corrects some of his mistakes.

I replayed some of the plays where the pocket broke down and Ifedi got burned quite a few times. He needs to step it up.

Lacy didn't look great but Alex Collins looked worse. After 1 preseason game, I wouldn't mind if Carson was the starter followed by Rawls, Lacy and Prosise.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2o7lopw7 said:
There's no reason to temper your enthusiasm this team killed it tonight. The quality of depth is real and I agree on Carson and Williams .
Hell to the YEAH!
Lots & lots of positives to groove on. :irishdrinkers:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think we did pretty decent. I know that Antonio Gates was going to get his moment in the spotlight, but that was only one moment and I think we would have shut him down the rest of the game. He is a high profile guy.

Other than that one point, we pretty much learned that our depth is back to SB strength. As someone above alluded to, the announcers commented that we had solidified that depth with both rookies and other teams' Free Agents. No slackers there as they are in competition for a job. In 3 weeks or sooner, there may be hard decisions to be made. I think that Pete may let some of them go early so to let them have opportunities to play for another team this season. Vanilla is a great flavor this time of the year in regards to play calling. Go hawks.

Rob12

Reaction score
For those worried about the defense giving up a first drive TD... That's now happened five out of the last six years in the first preseason game where the opposing team scored a TD on their first possession.

Wouldn't give it a second thought.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2gtkksto said:

I admire your enthusiasm, but the first pre-season game against a Chargers team with a brand new staff that's probably going to win 4-5 games this year with terrible depth isn't cause for me to declare us SuperBowl bound.

I saw a LOT of good signs, don't get me wrong. But if there's one thing I've learned over the 4 decades I've been a football fan, it's that pre-season = rarely means anything.