Oline play after PS game 1

gowazzu02

Reaction score
There are other threads that touch on it. Thought we needed a dedicated thread for it.

All in all I was really happy. Some folks called it out as a negative from last night. And sure if your comparing it to our 05 line or the Cowboys line, yes poor. But remember back to last two years pre season. Where all 5 guys were oley'ing basically every pass play.

Last night was pretty well done. Sure you could find a play here or there where someone got beat (Ifedi) But I think Fant/Joeckel/Britt is pretty well established as our left side to center.

Glowinski has plays where he mauled defenders.

Pocic played really well

OVerall a pretty darn good showing imo....

It gets harder when the d starts scheming etc. But so far so good.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yep.
Some have knocked on Brock Huard's description of how well he thought they did on their first pre-season game, and I couldn't agree more with his over all assessments throughout the game.
Sure, there were misfires by almost everyone on the O-Line sprinkled in throughout the game; same thing can be said about > ALL < Offensive Lines in the League so far, and no one is immune to mistakes.

sutz

Reaction score
I actually thought they were pretty decent on pass pro. Hell, no line is perfect. With our mobile QBs, all we really need is average. Run blocking was still a bit poor, too many defenders in the backfield on quite a few plays.

I did love that in the 4th quarter they focused on the run game. Once it was obvious that that was what they were doing, I think it got a little better. We still wail about 49 and the pass call on the goal line, while conveniently forgetting that we've been basically horrible on 3rd/4th and short the past couple of years, even with Marshawn in there.

This coming season, we're gonna need to make 1 or 2 yards, and we need to get better at that, or we'll be forced to stick with the empty backfield on 3rd and 2 again.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I re-watched each play from the first series several times. I couldn't find a play where I thought the line play was especially good. Run blocking looks to be way ahead of pass blocking but mostly because the pass blocking was so bad. Wilson was getting rid of the ball almost immediately and was still under pressure on every pass (Right Guard got away with a hold after being torched on the long pass to Richardson).

Seymour

Reaction score
I am quite happy with the olines performance game 1. I am omitting Ifedi from this as he is what he is, a swing and a miss.

Other than that, seeing Pocic hold his own, then move to center and look very good there was very nice to see. Also Fant looked much improved from 1 year ago, and the pass protection was good which is a huge improvement.

The early run blocking doesn't bother me. They are geared to stop the run early in games anyway, running game usually takes the 2nd half to hit the real production so this is no surprise. :2thumbs:

penihawk

Reaction score
Ifedi is terrible no matter where he plays. Pocic is already the better player at RT and looked even more at home inside at center. Fant looked much improved & better than anybody else that played LT. The group is a big improvement over last year and I hope they settle on 5 starters soon with Ifedi not being one of them. :2thumbs:

mikeak

Reaction score
I continue to be amazed how people are able to judge one guy playing against starter vs another guy playing against backups. Or being able to tell how the O-line playing against backups is better than last year when they played a regular season against NFL starters

I really need to keep studying the game to get better at it so I can do the same kind of comparisons.........

Jerhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":10l8xeoh said:
Is it too late to move Ifedi back to RG and maybe start Pocic at RT?

With Tom Cable, nothing is too late.
This is the combo I'd like to see come out Friday night
LT Fant
LG Joekel
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Pocic

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jerhawk":f0plokgu said:
hawknation2017":f0plokgu said:

LT Fant
LG Joekel
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Pocic

Are you really sure Ifedi belongs at RG? I mean, move him out of tackle, sure, but is he really better than Oboushi or Glowinski?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I didn't think they looked good on running plays and watched Terrell Davis's take after the game on the NFL network coverage. He broke down several plays showing our line getting shoved into the back field on running plays. The backs manged a few yards regardless but I'm not going to call this an adequate performance much less a good one.
This being the case though...I realize it;s early and we once again have fielded a line that is not experienced with each other or the positions they are asked to switch to. Hopefully they will gel once the lineup and position shifting slows down.
Until then though don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":ewwc42qy said:
Jerhawk":ewwc42qy said:
hawknation2017":ewwc42qy said:

LT Fant
LG Joekel
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Pocic

Are you really sure Ifedi belongs at RG? I mean, move him out of tackle, sure, but is he really better than Oboushi or Glowinski?

Ifedi has the potential to be a road grader at guard, like Sweezy was. He has the strength. His pass protection is poor, and his ability to pick up stunts is poor, but as an interior run blocker, I feel he can excel at that due to his strength. Just my two cents

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ifedi reminds me of Carp in a lot of ways. Physically it's all there, but I don't think it all comes full circle until year 3...then gets injured...and then we get a real decent year 4 when it's a contract year [shrugs].

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Ifedi would be fine at RG. I just think moving him outside was a mistake given his skill set.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mikeak":1cg5bg7j said:
I continue to be amazed how people are able to judge one guy playing against starter vs another guy playing against backups. Or being able to tell how the O-line playing against backups is better than last year when they played a regular season against NFL starters

I really need to keep studying the game to get better at it so I can do the same kind of comparisons.........

Well last preseason they were getting beat by air so its an improvement. lol

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":215h2e90 said:
Ifedi would be fine at RG. I just think moving him outside was a mistake given his skill set.

Really? Based on what I wonder?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season

31. Germain Ifedi, OL, Seahawks (Texas A&M)

Snaps: 777

PFF overall grade: 37.6

Germain Ifedi has been one of the league’s worst offensive linemen in his rookie season, playing guard on a team that seems stacked with them. He has surrendered 38 total QB pressures (tied for fourth-most among guards), despite playing only 12 games, and been flagged eight times. His run blocking has at least been passable, but his pass protection needs to improve immeasurably for him to be a viable starter.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":1jcdu2h2 said:
hawknation2017":1jcdu2h2 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-every-2016-first-round-pick-has-played-this-season

Germain Ifedi has been one of the league’s worst offensive linemen in his rookie season, playing guard on a team that seems stacked with them. He has surrendered 38 total QB pressures (tied for fourth-most among guards), despite playing only 12 games, and been flagged eight times. His run blocking has at least been passable, but his pass protection needs to improve immeasurably for him to be a viable starter.

Based on the improvement Ifedi showed at RG toward the end of his rookie season. He's an explosive north-south kind of blocker who doesn't move that well laterally.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2seigilc said:
Seymour":2seigilc said:
hawknation2017":2seigilc said:

Based on the improvement Ifedi showed at RG toward the end of his rookie season. He's an explosive north-south kind of blocker who doesn't move that well laterally.

Tell that to Tom and Pete, they are the ones moving him toward his weakness and hoping for further improvement.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":1yj7orka said:
hawknation2017":1yj7orka said:
Seymour":1yj7orka said:
hawknation2017":1yj7orka said:

Tell that to Tom and Pete, they are the ones moving him toward his weakness and hoping for further improvement.

I think they were determined not to start another rookie, thinking the problem was that they were "too young" on the offensive line, but Pocic appears to be the superior option at RT. Pocic at RT would allow Ifedi to continue his development at RG. It seems like the obvious move.