Best oline performance.....

drdevin

Reaction score
Hunt by a mile for me- if you watch the back-up rushing td's, he was either plowing his guy back 3 yards or double teaming with on of the guards to open a huge hole. Really surprised and impressed with him in this game. Here's a guy who doesn't get talked about much and he played really well in this first contest. Nice to see in our backup!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hunt played well, but Pocic was the O-lineman of the game IMO.

He easily transitioned from tackle to center without skipping a beat, and looked like a starter amongst backups the entire time. He was pancaking fools left and right.

None of this is suppose to happen for a rookie. I'd be shocked if Pocic isn't starting game 1.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l9xn0e9 said:

He easily transitioned from tackle to center without skipping a beat, and looked like a starter amongst backups the entire time. He was pancaking fools left and right.

None of this is suppose to happen for a rookie. I'd be shocked if Pocic isn't starting game 1.

Pocic looked really good. But if he's going to be switched to tackle, shouldn't he be playing that spot instead? I found it odd that they played him at center rather than RT which is the spot they are penciling him for. Why not let him get acclimated to playing tackle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":x8ahtf2g said:
Sgt. Largent":x8ahtf2g said:

Pocic looked really good. But if he's going to be switched to tackle, shouldn't he be playing that spot instead? I found it odd that they played him at center rather than RT which is the spot they are penciling him for. Why not let him get acclimated to playing tackle.

Because if we can't get an extension done with Britt during the season, then Pocic is his replacement.

So it makes sense during the preseason to see how he does at center, as well as continuing to compete at the tackle spot.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9stnko0h said:

+ one.....

Whos your daddy now  45635

Seymour

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ml7u0og said:
Sgt. Largent":1ml7u0og said:

Not with Tom Cable in charge. He will wait till in season and will attempt to stick with his man Ifedi (and shuffle players out of position and stall cohesion) until the cows come home. Cows will be home right around game 4.

Also...BTW, he did get time at RT as well.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Like Ray Roberts told B&S recently, great OL men have PHD's at their specific position. I hope Hunt can be that guy at C for whenever the time comes instead of some j-of-all trades.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":vi7u023o said:
hawkfan68":vi7u023o said:
Sgt. Largent":vi7u023o said:

Not with Tom Cable in charge. He will wait till in season and will attempt to stick with his man Ifedi (and shuffle players out of position and stall cohesion) until the cows come home. Cows will be home right around game 4.

I know we like to bust Cable's chops for constantly moving guys around.

But without that happening, we would never have an emerging Pro Bowl center right now in Britt. Probably wouldn't even be on our roster if we kept him floundering at tackle or guard.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k62g5s3k said:

But without that happening, we would never have an emerging Pro Bowl center right now in Britt. Probably wouldn't even be on our roster if we kept him floundering at tackle or guard.

I actually don't really mind it during the pre season (some). It is after several reg. season games and a loss or 2 that it becomes irritating. I will not be giving Cable credit for that move either. He only did that as a last stop effort to save another high draft pick that had his stamp of approval before he was let go.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Hunt?! Did you forget his start last year where he was literally being walked over every single play. Too small to play starting olineman in the nfl.

Seafan

Reaction score
drdevin":1x6m9mhn said:
Hunt by a mile for me- if you watch the back-up rushing td's, he was either plowing his guy back 3 yards or double teaming with on of the guards to open a huge hole. Really surprised and impressed with him in this game. Here's a guy who doesn't get talked about much and he played really well in this first contest. Nice to see in our backup!

The Hawks will have the best practice squad in the NFL.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":1nkf5k15 said:
hawkfan68":1nkf5k15 said:
Sgt. Largent":1nkf5k15 said:

Pete is in charge. Not Tom.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":1w8p2wg6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1w8p2wg6 said:

I actually don't really mind it during the pre season (some). It is after several reg. season games and a loss or 2 that it becomes irritating. I will not be giving Cable credit for that move either. He only did that as a last stop effort to save another high draft pick that had his stamp of approval before he was let go.
I look at it as his position coach tried him out at three different positions over three years before they both finally hit paydirt. Britt is another Seahawk OL that will get a huge contract in FA.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2twib54p said:
Sgt. Largent":2twib54p said:

Pocic looked really good. I have to wonder aloud when he'll start a preseason game before Ifedi. That dude just flat can't play.

As for him switching around. There is a method to the madness. Really Seattle needs to know if Pocic can handle RT as primary position but also learn OC quickly enough. Because that frees up a roster spot (making Hunt expendable). If Pocic can show he's able to be a competent backup OC, while focusing almost entirely on RT -- that allows us to keep a Roos or Aboushi or Glowinski.

So expect to see Pocic turning double duty throughout the preseason.

Right now, the top 6 OL appear to be: Joeckel, Britt, Fant, Odhiambo, Aboushi, Pocic. Glowinski and Ifedi are still starters but it really looks like the team is willing to move on from those two if need be. Those two were pretty bad last year and it doesn't appear that they've taken the next step up.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If Pocic can play tackle, he's not going to be playing center. A lot easier to find a competent center than a tackle.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Very true. We're talking backup duty. Getting a long term answer for OC can be addressed next draft (and there are good candidates in this next class). If he shines at RT, then it resolves what appears to be a massive whiff in R1 2016. And really improves the outlook of 2017's results.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pocic was knocking fools around. Loved it. Looking forward to seeing him continue to get playing time and proving that he WAS a good draft pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":29cup7ek said:
Sgt. Largent":29cup7ek said:

Why does it matter why he and Pete did it?

It was a great move, and if we're going to kick our coaches in the nuts over moving guys around, then we should be fair and commend them when it works..........and in Britt's case, worked out very well.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u2qugno said:
Seymour":1u2qugno said:
Sgt. Largent":1u2qugno said:

Why does it matter why he and Pete did it?

It was a great move, and if we're going to kick our coaches in the nuts over moving guys around, then we should be fair and commend them when it works..........and in Britt's case, worked out very well.

Because if it is happening widespread in one position group only, it is a telltale indicator there is a serious issue with talent evaluation with respect to each position in that group. Draft a tackle, move to guard...Draft a tackle, move to guard....Draft a tackle, move to guard then to center.... :roll:

Yes, like I said, glad it worked out in the end. It just happens way too often in our case.

And now it is happening again with Ifedi. This time they are moving in the complete wrong direction. Put him on the outside so his lead feet and slow reactions are better masked? Ready.....Fire.....Aim.

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: Linemen who can play multiple spots are valued thru out the league. Lots of teams move linemen around looking for a best combination. An opponents best defensive lineman often is moved around to match up against the weakest offensive linemen. Versatility and depth is critical. In addition to injury concerns, upgrading the #4 and #5 best linemen is a constant goal. I'm confident we will see better chemistry this year and moving candidates around is how teams do it.