Naz Jones

gowazzu02

Reaction score
So as they say, with every setback comes opportunity. Malik McDowell aint out there and isn't gonna be anytime soon.

Naz Jones got some real good run and played pretty darn well, flashing a few times and even tipping that one pass for the INT.

What was the book on him coming out? Didn't he have some random illness or something? We were hoping for a little young blood infusion on the interior line. What if it just happens to be Jones instead of Mcdowell this year???

Davidess

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2w8cl70d said:
So as they say, with every setback comes opportunity. Malik McDowell aint out there and isn't gonna be anytime soon.

Naz Jones got some real good run and played pretty darn well, flashing a few times and even tipping that one pass for the INT.

What was the book on him coming out? Didn't he have some random illness or something? We were hoping for a little young blood infusion on the interior line. What if it just happens to be Jones instead of Mcdowell this year???

Its called complex regional pain syndrome. I believe he had to relearn how to walk. woke up when he was about 16 and was unable to.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'll re-hash a former stance on Naz:
Nazair Jones is harder to predict but in watching him I got some young Kevin Williams vibes not as a pass-rusher but as a guy who was an active run defender especially in pursuit and a superior passing lane disrupter.

Kevin Williams came into the league at 6'5, 304 and 34 1/2 in Arms. So basically the same size and length comp as Nazair Jones.

Kevin Williams also led the league in tipped passes with 28 from 2008-2012. Best numbers I could find on a quick search.

Jones, imo, does have pass rush potential, more so than a McDaniel and Rubin 3-Tech of the past. More so than a Jarran Reed. However, he's going to have to put in a lot of hard work, physically and mentally, in that aspect. Regardless, kind of opposite of McDowell's path to his ceiling , Jones has to put in the work to redefine his body and athleticism to match his game. If he can raise his physical and athletic potential he can be more of a complete player, one that perhaps can be dominant in a rotational role.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2bcu1mxf said:
I'll re-hash a former stance on Naz:
Nazair Jones is harder to predict but in watching him I got some young Kevin Williams vibes not as a pass-rusher but as a guy who was an active run defender especially in pursuit and a superior passing lane disrupter.

Kevin Williams came into the league at 6'5, 304 and 34 1/2 in Arms. So basically the same size and length comp as Nazair Jones.

Kevin Williams also led the league in tipped passes with 28 from 2008-2012. Best numbers I could find on a quick search.

Jones, imo, does have pass rush potential, more so than a McDaniel and Rubin 3-Tech of the past. More so than a Jarran Reed. However, he's going to have to put in a lot of hard work, physically and mentally, in that aspect. Regardless, kind of opposite of McDowell's path to his ceiling , Jones has to put in the work to redefine his body and athleticism to match his game. If he can raise his physical and athletic potential he can be more of a complete player, one that perhaps can be dominant in a rotational role.

Awesome thank you

And thank you davidess.. crazy to think what that would be like. Awesome to see him get to this point.

Polk738

Reaction score
Really hope this guy can come thru, we haven't had the best of luck with the DT position since Mebane left, Hill, Jefferson, McDowell. We NEED that inside pressure.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I believe he's going to pan out really well for us. Thanks Pandeon for the re-post. KW is a good comparison IMHO. Not as elite, but the potential to be 75% of what Williams provided.

I knew nothing about him until we drafted him, and only saw highlights and interviews, but man did he impress me. This is a guy that has a second chance on life, and he's taking it for all it's worth.

If it hadn't been for his disease, and the subsequent weight loss, he would been more developed, and his stats would have gotten him more looks. Even so, he played very well for North Carolina.

"lose 50 pounds in a month. He returned to play as a senior, but many schools backed off his recruiting trail.

While redshirting in Chapel Hill in 2013, "Naz" added 40 pounds of weight, making him a 295-pound interior defender.

Despite not starting any games in 2014, Jones led the team with 7.5 tackles for loss

Jones missed games with a leg injury and a concussion as a sophomore (40 tackles, four for loss), but was still a third-team All-ACC pick by league media.

He earned that same honor in 2016, setting career highs in tackles (70) and tackles for loss (9.5) while being credited with 2.5 sacks. Jones also used his length to break up 10 passes during his career. "

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557964

From the same page:

"Draft Analysis:

"I thought he fit best in a 3-4 scheme as what they call a five-technique, but he can play defensive tackle. He's got an ideal body type for that. Six-five, over 300 pounds, thought he did a nice job kind of getting in the way of a lot of passes.

The only downside I felt with Naz Jones was he ran a little bit hot and cold.

He could dominate games at times and then other times he'd disappear for long chunks of times." -
- Mike Mayock"

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Run-stuffer in the middle, needed.

Would like to see him with the 1's tomorrow.

RW92

Reaction score
The young kid looks good from what I've seen. I would give more playing time over Rubin.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm pleasantly surprised he's flashed pass rush so far. He's good at getting outside his opponent's shoulders and shows some hand fighting skills as well, which is unusual in rookies.

I think he's going to be solid in rotation.

We also saw Jefferson in there last night and I saw him get penetration a few times as well.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I like his height on passing downs too. Even if he's not pushing the pocket in the middle. We know we've got Cliff and Bennett flying around the edge forcing the QB to step up. Jones can hold the point of attack and then use his giant wingspan to knock balls down.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice write up on Nazair Jones.

....... helping Jones make a good early impression has been a level of versatility that might exceed what the Seahawks were expecting.

Jones was almost exclusively an interior lineman at North Carolina, and when the Seahawks drafted him, Carroll and general manager John Schneider talked about Jones as a big-bodied defensive tackle who could help on early downs. And while Jones has shown the ability to be just that, he has also seen a lot of playing time as a 5-technique defensive end. Jones knows that versatility could be a key to earning playing time on a deep and talented defensive line.

“It’s like the sixth man on the basketball team, he can go in and do whatever,” Jones said. “If Mike (Bennett) goes down I can play end, if (Ahtyba Rubin) goes down I can play 3-(technique defensive tackle), if Jarran (Reed) goes down I can play nose. I’m just trying to do anything I can to get on the field.”

Seahawks “Have Very High Hopes” For Rookie Nazair Jones >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/23/seahawks-%E2%80%9Chave-very-high-hopes%E2%80%9D-rookie-nazair-jones[/urltargetblank]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Steal.

I love the story of how Michael Bennett lit into him when he needed to rest from heat stroke during Bennett's voluntary workouts in Hawaii. Harsh of MB, maybe, but the way Naz reacted to it (crediting MB for motivation, deciding to let it make him better) was pure professionalism.

titan3131

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":fee3m5cm said:
Steal.

I love the story of how Michael Bennett lit into him when he needed to rest from heat stroke during Bennett's voluntary workouts in Hawaii. Harsh of MB, maybe, but the way Naz reacted to it (crediting MB for motivation, deciding to let it make him better) was pure professionalism.

its alarming how many rookies dont know jack diddly squat about proper hydration, sodium manipulation, and general nutrition.

Jville

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1e3jk2xh said:
Steal.

With the suffocating restrictions of the current CBA on organized team activities. supplemental activities initiated and orchestrated by players has become essential for continuing success. It's players that excel in all aspects of on field and off field leadership that earn the second and third contracts. Pete Carroll has been instrumental in cultivating and growing this collection of players that are committed to assisting in encouraging and coaching up the young ones. This win forever culture Pete has built stands out in Seahawk history. The Bennett example, along with other extended leaders, also explains and validates the cap structure John Schneider over sees. The team is in good hands.

Win Forever! :2thumbs: