Interior Pass Rush

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'm really hoping we can get back to being a dominant defense at the line of scrimmage. I remember 2013 being a year where QB's had no chance in the pocket due to our DT group terrorizing the line of scrimmage and then Mike/Cliff coming from the ends.

Hoping to see our DT group really step up this year.

Quinton Jefferson - where are you at? Why was he inactive for the game? Here's to hoping he can come back from the kneed injury. Nazair Jones looks to be legit - we need that contribution from him being a 3rd rounder. Jerran Reed...it would be great if he could take the next step and add QB pressure to his already great run stopping ability. And finally, I thought I saw Garrison Smith making some plays in there.

Really just looking for pressure in the QB's face, someone who can get past the center in the A gap.

RW92

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1f1vxh2y said:
I'm really hoping we can get back to being a dominant defense at the line of scrimmage. I remember 2013 being a year where QB's had no chance in the pocket due to our DT group terrorizing the line of scrimmage and then Mike/Cliff coming from the ends.

Quinton Jefferson - where are you at? Why was he inactive for the game? Here's to hoping he can come back from the kneed injury. Nazair Jones looks to be legit - we need that contribution from him being a 3rd rounder. Jerran Reed...it would be great if he could take the next step and add QB pressure to his already great run stopping ability. And finally, I thought I saw Garrison Smith making some plays in there.

Really just looking for pressure in the QB's face, someone who can get past the center in the A gap.

First off, Pete rested Quinton Jefferson for this game to give him more to time to heal and be in the right frame physically for opening day. As far as new players adding to an interior pass rush that I feel is vital towards winning in the NFL, David Bass, Pierre Desir, Christian French, Tylor Harris, Nazir Jones, and Terrence Garvin stood out to me. Jarren Reed has continued to improve and build upon a good rookie season last year. And even though he wasn't directly on the front line, Shaquill Griffin looked solid in his first live action. If there's one thing he needs to work on is turning his head around at the right time when defending the ball. If he would have done this on that first drive he would have picked that ball off instead of having it hit him in the back. His speed and coverage were there, his game instincts need just a little seasoning.
Let's see what happens on Friday. But you are treading upon a topic that is extremely important. Pressure on the QB as well as getting off the field on third down are vital towards winning another Super Bowl.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
In the Phillip Rivers era, the Chargers have been consistently low in sack %, which is part of the reason Rivers is going into his 14th NFL season. It would be foolish to expect many sacks when facing him, and if you are going to get pressure it's likely going to come from stunts, not base defense.

Davidess

Reaction score
RW92":2tcnnoda said:
CHawkTailGator":2tcnnoda said:

First off, Pete rested Quinton Jefferson for this game to give him more to time to heal and be in the right frame physically for opening day. As far as new players adding to an interior pass rush that I feel is vital towards winning in the NFL, David Bass, Pierre Desir, Christian French, Tylor Harris, Nazir Jones, and Terrence Garvin stood out to me. Jarren Reed has continued to improve and build upon a good rookie season last year. And even though he wasn't directly on the front line, Shaquill Griffin looked solid in his first live action. If there's one thing he needs to work on is turning his head around at the right time when defending the ball. If he would have done this on that first drive he would have picked that ball off instead of having it hit him in the back. His speed and coverage were there, his game instincts need just a little seasoning.
Let's see what happens on Friday. But you are treading upon a topic that is extremely important. Pressure on the QB as well as getting off the field on third down are vital towards winning another Super Bowl.

did I mis-read your comment? I understand Reed, Harris, Jones but I believe French plays outside while Garvin is LB and Desir is CB. I'm a bit rusty but how do they impact the interior pass rush? not trying to sound snarky just honestly curious. Thank you for your response

RW92

Reaction score
Davidess":23r35eft said:
RW92":23r35eft said:
CHawkTailGator":23r35eft said:

did I mis-read your comment? I understand Reed, Harris, Jones but I believe French plays outside while Garvin is LB and Desir is CB. I'm a bit rusty but how do they impact the interior pass rush? not trying to sound snarky just honestly curious. Thank you for your response

Yes I may have gone off on a tangent at the end. But I was making notation of who looked aggressive and athletic out there on the field. Those types of players can become game changers in certain respects. No need to sound snarky. Hey bottom line is who is the fastest to the ball and leaves a lasting impression on the play that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I kept hearing Jones name in there.. albeit against the Viks 2nd stringers but stil, he was all over the place and seemed to be very disruptive in the middle... any thoughts?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Bobblehead":16x3zmap said:
I kept hearing Jones name in there.. albeit against the Viks 2nd stringers but stil, he was all over the place and seemed to be very disruptive in the middle... any thoughts?
Perhaps has earned time vs. 1s in the next couple of tryout games. They talked about Jones and McDowell in same breath after the draft. Players are made through opportunities.

RW92

Reaction score
Does anyone feel the way I do about Michael Bennett's shoulder pads. I know he doesn't wear the full pads to prevent the O-lineman from holding him. But gosh, he looks like he's wearing something from the 50's. I just don't want him to get hurt. Someone should give him a smaller pair, but something a little bit more substantial than what he is wearing now so he can hit someone without cutting his shoulder blade.

Just my thoughts .

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Quite a few of our players appear to be wearing smaller shoulder pads. Paul Richardson's look like something you'd give a kicker.

OP
OP
tmobilchawker79

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Did Jefferson even play last game? Tried to find if he was inactive. I know everyone gets on CJ Procise for never being available but seriously need Q Jeff to step up and get in the game.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Desmond Bryant was just released by Cleveland to save on his cap hit. He would be an excellent pickup in my opinion to fill in at 3tech and interior pass rush for a year or two. He tore his pec last year and missed the whole season but the year before he had 6 sacks and the year before that he had 5 sacks. He's a proven interior pass rush and at 31 years old he should have at least a year left in the tank.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1rhjjzuu said:
Did Jefferson even play last game? Tried to find if he was inactive.
I believe that I saw him during the game but he's not listed on the box score for having made a tackle.

Hard to say because I doubt that they keep snap counts on preseason games.

massari

Reaction score
DJrmb":25g37tjs said:
Desmond Bryant was just released by Cleveland to save on his cap hit. He would be an excellent pickup in my opinion to fill in at 3tech and interior pass rush for a year or two. He tore his pec last year and missed the whole season but the year before he had 6 sacks and the year before that he had 5 sacks. He's a proven interior pass rush and at 31 years old he should have at least a year left in the tank.
Yes please.

QB Pressures

Nice solution until McDowell comes back. Sheldon Richardson may cost too much draft capital and salary.

RW92

Reaction score
massari":10gxl4gk said:
DJrmb":10gxl4gk said:
Yes please.

QB Pressures

Nice solution until McDowell comes back. Sheldon Richardson may cost too much draft capital and salary.

I think Pete and John have to seriously look at this option, because the pass rush is still a work in progress. Rubin has to be removed from the starting lineup. He gets zero push. Watch the Minnesota game it is quite evident. Rotate some of the younger guys. I feel that Nazir Jones can bring more to the table than Rubin. And the young man David Bass has been impressive so far this summer. And I feel strongly that Quinton Jefferson, and Terence Garvin will have quite an impact as the regular season approaches. We have talent. We just have to wisely utilize what we have and possibly design some well timed blitzes. I think we need to draw up more situational blitzing this year to augment our defensive game. Can't wait for Friday. It's time to find out who our game changers are.

LolaRox

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3qhn9um5 said:
CHawkTailGator":3qhn9um5 said:
Did Jefferson even play last game? Tried to find if he was inactive.
I believe that I saw him during the game but he's not listed on the box score for having made a tackle.

Hard to say because I doubt that they keep snap counts on preseason games.

Yep he played. Here are the snap counts from last Friday

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/899017530630479872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/899017599110991872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/899017661836808192[/tweet]

massari

Reaction score
DJrmb":3j6o0ltq said:
Good call, DJ.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Thanks. I just hope we actually sign him if he's healthy and in decent shape. Bryant has proven to be an effective interior pass rusher and in my opinion you can never have too much pass rush. He'll have to be gentle on the cap too as we're going to be pushing it close again this year.

RW92

Reaction score
Does anyone have a feeling on the pysche of our defensive line yet? I don't, and the season is fast approaching. I feel as though we are going into a final exam and we haven't cracked a book. I just hope it all comes together.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
RW92":1m0zvex7 said:
Does anyone feel the way I do about Michael Bennett's shoulder pads. I know he doesn't wear the full pads to prevent the O-lineman from holding him. But gosh, he looks like he's wearing something from the 50's. I just don't want him to get hurt. Someone should give him a smaller pair, but something a little bit more substantial than what he is wearing now so he can hit someone without cutting his shoulder blade.

Just my thoughts .

Shoulder pads are overrated. Look at the fashion statement in the 90's (watch a college game in the mid 90's on youtube) as an attempt to make oneself look menacing. I don't care how big your shoulder pads are, if you hit someone when both of you are running full speed, helmet to shoulder pad or shoulder pad to shoulder pad it will hurt like hell or you will dislocate your shoulder.

Options, take the brunt of the force by your facemask (brain issues) or take the offensive player out by the knees.

Or,,,,,Or have small ass shoulder pads making it harder for an offensive player to block you and if I have to tackle someone at full speed, put your shoulder right in the gut (center of gravity) and wrap up with relatively no pain. Wish I played liked this in high school instead of trying to knock someone out.