Half of the O-line set already

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Didn't see this in another thread but Cable mentioned on Brock and Salk this morning that Fant- Joeckel- Britt is pretty much set in stone. Ifedi is penned in as the RT. RG is pretty much open. Said that Glow and Aboushi are basically interchangable at this point and that Pocic is going to join that competition.

TBH, I'm actually pretty happy with this. I want to have 4 of the 5 working on continuity for the next 2 games so that we can gel 2-3 weeks earlier.

Not sure what this says about Odiambo though. He's looking like a waste of a pick if he can't unseat a UDFA or a FA coming off 2 CL tears.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":2d19rfdc said:
Didn't see this in another thread but Cable mentioned on Brock and Salk this morning that Fant- Joeckel- Britt is pretty much set in stone. Ifedi is penned in as the RT. RG is pretty much open. Said that Glow and Aboushi are basically interchangable at this point and that Pocic is going to join that competition.

TBH, I'm actually pretty happy with this. I want to have 4 of the 5 working on continuity for the next 2 games so that we can gel 2-3 weeks earlier.

Not sure what this says about Odiambo though. He's looking like a waste of a pick if he can't unseat a UDFA or a FA coming off 2 CL tears.

Clarification please. Per Cable....Pocic is only in the competition with Glow and Aboushi for RG and not with Ifedi for RT??

NJlargent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ipob6kx said:
Anyone else really impresses with Pocic last week? I loved how he was throwing guys around.

Pocic was pretty good. I'm all for him playing right side and ending the ifedi experiment

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Really bummed about Ifedi, tried to stick up for him and/or believe he was gonna' be a baller. But wow, nothing but bad reports on his play. Fingers crossed he gets it at some point.

toffee

Reaction score
Can someone help with pointing out what's wrong with Ifedi? Mental? Physical? Lacking strength? Lacking quickness? Lacking footwork? Lacking hand positioning? Something got to be wrong.

DJrmb

Reaction score
jdemps":3k1qxk01 said:

Odiambo had an excellent game in the preseason opener actually. Maybe he's just more like Boykin where he plays better on game days than he practices? Either way I think he was probably the best looking lineman besides Pocic from the game...

Here's a link to some great analysis on the line in the 1st game:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seahawksd...ll-the-seahawks-trade-for-sheldon-richardson/

I thought Rees Odhiambo had a terrific game. He played 90% of the snaps on offense, 30% more than anyone else. He spent some time at left tackle and left guard. It’s at guard though where I thought he showed a ton of promise.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
toffee":fdvzjeg8 said:
Can someone help with pointing out what's wrong with Ifedi? Mental? Physical? Lacking strength? Lacking quickness? Lacking footwork? Lacking hand positioning? Something got to be wrong.

Cable said it was mostly mental. Has the ability, but likes to spice things up with bone headed plays.

Most of things I've read and heard say that's it's a footwork issue. Tends to lunge and get out of position.

In all honesty, I never played line at any level so I trust smarter minds to make these assessment and parrot the consensus opinion. My eyeballs say that pocic has looked better and deserves a shot at first team reps next week. Maybe 2 series for each and rotate at RG.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I hope Fant can reach his potential quickly. I'll be really happy with the line if we can get a decent LT. If Fant isn't better than last year, it's going to be another long season of us holding our breath every time Russ drops back.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":l8ph7qu4 said:
toffee":l8ph7qu4 said:

Cable said it was mostly mental. Has the ability, but likes to spice things up with bone headed plays.

Most of things I've read and heard say that's it's a footwork issue. Tends to lunge and get out of position.

In all honesty, I never played line at any level so I trust smarter minds to make these assessment and parrot the consensus opinion. My eyeballs say that pocic has looked better and deserves a shot at first team reps next week. Maybe 2 series for each and rotate at RG.

Then why per your initial post (that you did not answer my question on) would we put Pocic in a 3 way at RG and leave Ifedi with no competition at RT?

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
Seymour":gpfg9sbq said:
jdemps":gpfg9sbq said:
toffee":gpfg9sbq said:

Then why per your initial post (that you did not answer my question on) would we put Pocic in a 3 way at RG and leave Ifedi with no competition at RT?

I was trying to read between the line with cables interview. I think, in his mind, Ifedi is clearly winning that competition whereas the RG competition is wide open. I wasn't horribly impressed with the starting line play myself and think Pocic deserves a shot. I think we need to give them both a few series next week, settle on a starting o line to play the first half of preseason week 3 and, barring injury or abject failure, play that group week 1 in GB.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
For Ifedi at RT, I am not seeing what they are seeing. Not at all. I don't see the skill or athleticism to make it work. Would have to see a monumental leap in the next couple of games to even remotely legitimize his starting position. Even then, the name would remain in pencil.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":rabtqcuo said:
Anyone else really impresses with Pocic last week? I loved how he was throwing guys around.
Apparently playing well is a big negative in Cable's development program.

Seymour

Reaction score
jdemps":2r2nu0fg said:
Seymour":2r2nu0fg said:
jdemps":2r2nu0fg said:
toffee":2r2nu0fg said:

I was trying to read between the line with cables interview. I think, in his mind, Ifedi is clearly winning that competition whereas the RG competition is wide open. I wasn't horribly impressed with the starting line play myself and think Pocic deserves a shot. I think we need to give them both a few series next week, settle on a starting o line to play the first half of preseason week 3 and, barring injury or abject failure, play that group week 1 in GB.

That would honestly not surprise me. Stretch that reach of a pick right up until it kills a second season Tom.

Turbo facepalm by specialvore d69viv5

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seymour":14mjdz4w said:
jdemps":14mjdz4w said:
Seymour":14mjdz4w said:
jdemps":14mjdz4w said:

That would honestly not surprise me. Stretch that reach of a pick right up until it kills a second season Tom.

Turbo facepalm by specialvore d69viv5

This is so disappointing. Ifedi starting at RT is going to be like Nowak starting. A trainwreck.

The worst guard in the league is not going to become a good RT.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think Ifedi probably has the highest ceiling at right tackle, I don't mind them starting him out there I just want the leash to be fairly short.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Ifedi is Cable's hand picked guy and he's going to get every opportunity possible, every benefit of the doubt from Cable right up until the point Wilson is carted off the field giving a thumb's up. Ifedi can do no wrong in Cable's bizarre, twisted world. Ignoring the reality factor is a sign of madness...which aptly sums up our OL state the last few years.

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1cvqawml said:
Ifedi is Cable's hand picked guy and he's going to get every opportunity possible, every benefit of the doubt from Cable right up until the point Wilson is carted off the field giving a thumb's up. Ifedi can do no wrong in Cable's bizarre, twisted world. Ignoring the reality factor is a sign of madness...which aptly sums up our OL state the last few years.
Obviously that is changing we drafted Procic and we sign a cornerback that is measurably better then Shead. Dispite absolutely not fitting our CB profile. The organization is obviously changing the profile of what they're looking for in these position groups to a certain point at least.

They are finally drafting and looking at gamers that might not be Sparq gods but have actually played football at a extremely high level despite their measurables. JS/PC termed it grit. Basically it's how New England does things for the most part.

Latest posts