Seahawks closing in on 3 year extension for Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/898228842405515264[/tweet]

This was also corroborated by Gee Scott on 710 espn by a text message that he got from a player reporting the same.

kidhawk

Reaction score
All along the line you want consistency, but the center position is so vital to the entire line and even to the QB that I'll be happy to see Britt get his extension. If he were still at G or T, I'd say let him walk, but he's proven to be a solid starting C in this league and we will be better for keeping him.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I will wait to see the full details - but more than 9 million per year? Seems like an overpay. Glad we locked him up though.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
OL is really expensive these days, even for average starters. Probably the right move here.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
This is great news. It's another step towards building a long-term core for the o-line. The cap goes up every year and so our big contracts are getting relatively smaller. That means we can start spending $ on the o-line. It wasn't a team strategy to go cheap ($/picks) on the o-line, it's just the way it worked out. JS is investing high draft picks as well as $, so you can see they're finally listening to us here on the Net.

GO HAWKS!

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think if we got Britt for under 10m per year we got a decent deal without "low balling". Seems fair on both sides after Brandon Linder just got 5 years 52M

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Outstanding news. Best and most consistent lineman we have. And 9 mil a year is pretty common for a good center these days. And like many contracts, this will seem like a bargain in a couple years. He's one of the best centers in the game, and really has taken to that leadership role.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Proved he wanted to be a leader this offseason, found his niche at center, young and improving each year. Love this, especially with RW's height, interior protection is huge. Saints pay a lot of money at those positions to keep Brees up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused...................we're SPENDING money on the O-line? What kind of Bizarro world is this?

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
I know right? Haha

Hopefully people will finally drop the "purposely going cheap on O-line because Russell Wilson can scramble" argument.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/898235536346947585[/tweet]

I feel Seattle has been true to their philosophy from the beginning. Pay those that deserve to get paid. It just so happens we haven't really had guys on the O-line worth what they got paid previously.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DJrmb":32bzw1eb said:
I feel Seattle has been true to their philosophy from the beginning. Pay those that deserve to get paid. It just so happens we haven't really had guys on the O-line worth what they got paid previously.

Yeah but the bigger picture question is why isn't our FO and coaching staff drafting and developing lineman that deserve to get paid?

Britt news is great.........but too many Sweazy's, Okungs, Carps and Moffits where we spent draft capital and failed developing into a lineman that warranted a 2nd contract.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iunq5dr said:
DJrmb":3iunq5dr said:

Yeah but the bigger picture question is why isn't our FO and coaching staff drafting and developing lineman that deserve to get paid?

Britt news is great.........but too many Sweazy's, Okungs, Carps and Moffits where we spent draft capital and failed developing into a lineman that warranted a 2nd contract.

I agree, they've done a terrible job drafting on the offensive line. I hope what looks like a change in drafting philosophy helps them going forward. So far Pocic looks like a solid addition to the line. He's not the crazy sparq athlete that they seemed to target before and that seems to be paying off so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.