Question on Vikings challenge

HawkerBacker

Reaction score
Question so Vikings challenge on 4th and 2 the call is reviewed, they end up with 4th and 1 and are charged the timeout. Why is that? They challenged the spot and it was changed. Isn't that a successful challenge? About 8:15 in 4th quarter when they challenged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
They were going for a 1st down I believe so in that case it''s still a lost challenge. The spot of the ball was changed but not enough to get a new set.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Spot challenges must clear the 1st down mark to be successful. Anything less, such as today's, is considered unsuccessful.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkerBacker":8szni62v said:
Question so Vikings challenge on 4th and 2 the call is reviewed, they end up with 4th and 1 and are charged the timeout. Why is that? They challenged the spot and it was changed. Isn't that a successful challenge? About 8:15 in 4th quarter when they challenged.

Happened to Seattle in XLVIII (I still think Russ got it). As Kid said downthread in order to win a spot challenge a first down must be achieved.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2gj1nu6a said:
a first down must be achieved.
That's exactly what the challenge is... the coach deciding to challenge is challenging whether or not a first down was achieved.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawkerBacker":s1af9uxt said:

Technically, they didn't challenge just the spot, they challenged that the line of gain was achieved. It was not, therefore the loss of the challenge, even tho the umps moved the ball up a yard.