Shaquill Griffin

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
How did he do last night. I only saw a little bit of the game and was curious about his performance. Also who on the right side getting burned early in the game?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He got picked on by Minnie and held his own.

He played well enough to be on the team, but we will watch growing pains as he learns to play CB as a pro. He has serious potential.

I was encouraged by the growth I saw from him from the last game and as the game progressed. He appeared slightly frustrated at getting picked on but his coverage improved play to play. He looks like he will make us happy.

penihawk

Reaction score
I would agree. He competed and many of the completions were short where he made the tackle and was in decent position. It's gonna be interesting to see who stays and who goes in the secondary.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I gotta say he got picked on quite a bit, made some nice plays to break up the plays. He didn't get bombed on or give up any big plays. I see a lot of potential but some growing pains for sure

sutz

Reaction score
Well, assuming he's on the roster across from Sherm, he's gonna get picked on a lot. ;)

Yeah, got burned a couple of times early, got better as the game went on. He fits the LoB mold, and it looks like he can learn.

kf3339

Reaction score
Let him get picked on now while it doesn't count. The more he plays with the ones, the better he will get. He did okay.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Yes they did pick on him (as did Rivers) and for it only being his second game, I thought he handled it well - he didn't give up any big plays. I also believe QBs will continue to target him, so he better get ready for it.

Pete talks about him in his post game presser - (starts around 5:30)

Among other things, Pete stated that he played well but was most impressed with Shaq' s mentality.

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/08/1 ... conference

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Room to improve, but he already turns his head to play the ball quicker than Lane or Sheed ever did, which is a HUGE factor when judging DB's in my book. Made a few real nice plays. I think he has the potential to be great.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Got beat short repeatedly, but as the off corner to Sherm, that happens to everybody. Gave up nothing deep, which is the big thing. He's right on track, IMHO.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I thought he played pretty darn well, the passes that were completed against him were all underneath, short to intermediate length that are always difficult to defend by anyone. He didn't give up any long passes and stayed stuck to the receivers throughout their routes and showed decent coverage skills to stop the long passes. The Seahawk secondary is shaping up very well IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not getting beat deep is the big thing, keeping the receiver in front and not biting on double moves big, as he learns the NFL level of game and is able to read players better those underneath routes he will be on tighter, then the QB will pay for going at him. Once he recognizes things better he will read a lot of those and start making picks.

RW92

Reaction score
Here is one positive that I loved. He didn't give up the long ball. I think what he needs to work on the most is when to turn his head around. He has to learn that when the receiver turns to look and begins to raise his hands, he in has to turn and find the ball as well. But overall I like what I see. A Good young talent.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Glad to hear all the praise. Looks promising. He will get worked like anyone else on that side of the field because RS is other side. Now we just need to create more pressure on QB and then we can let the interceptions come our way.

getnasty

Reaction score
Praise? He was torched last night, not deep but he needs to tight it up or teams will dink and dunk us all day.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2ekb2rvm said:
Praise? He was torched last night, not deep but he needs to tight it up or teams will dink and dunk us all day.

Actually what people are saying is praise. If anyone expects a DB to come in and be a shut down guy out of the gate is sadly misinformed. He is a rook and looks like he has the skills and attitude to fill the role. Not perfect but nobody was expecting that. Besides our team has been getting dinked and dunked on since Pete Carroll took over. It is part of bend dont break. Not giving up the long ball is a HUGE feather in his cap.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He had a rough start, but I liked his durability.

He didn't give up anything really long, and on the few long plays they tried him on, he got his head around and tried to make a play on the ball.

He gave up a lot of short stuff, but kept it all in front of him and only let the WR by him once that I remember seeing. Solid tackler. He'd give up two short completions, then get a pass break up on a slant. He didn't give up and showed some fire.

For his first preseason, he looked pretty good. I definitely thought he improved as the game went on, although the level of competition did go down.

getnasty

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":21wsr3ny said:
getnasty":21wsr3ny said:

Actually what people are saying is praise. If anyone expects a DB to come in and be a shut down guy out of the gate is sadly misinformed. He is a rook and looks like he has the skills and attitude to fill the role. Not perfect but nobody was expecting that. Besides our team has been getting dinked and dunked on since Pete Carroll took over. It is part of bend dont break. Not giving up the long ball is a HUGE feather in his cap.

I don't expect him to go out and shutdown people right away but at the same time he needs to be a lot better then he was last night against mediocre talent. I'm probably higher on Shaq then anybody but last night was a disappointment. He doesn't seem as quick and athletic to me as he did at UCF. I'm not worried about it because I'm sure it's just getting adjusted to everything and he's just a touch hesitant right now but he'll get it figured out.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":i15ujrmc said:
Year of The Hawk":i15ujrmc said:
getnasty":i15ujrmc said:

I don't expect him to go out and shutdown people right away but at the same time he needs to be a lot better then he was last night against mediocre talent. I'm probably higher on Shaq then anybody but last night was a disappointment. He doesn't seem as quick and athletic to me as he did at UCF. I'm not worried about it because I'm sure it's just getting adjusted to everything and he's just a touch hesitant right now but he'll get it figured out.

He will look slower since everyone he is playing against is faster. I feel he is just getting adjusted and hope he figures it all out as well. Just being a fanboy and putting on my rose colored glasses.

Latest posts