Ongoing preseason questions, a few, add more for discussion?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
1. Is the OLine going to be improved this season? The injury to Fant last night has raised the question of the strength of the left side of the line, again. Darn it. Will Ifedi be the starter at RT when the season starts? Is anyone else concerned?

2. Is Coach Bevell deliberately not using the TEs, or does he not know how to use them? Last night I only noticed 4 TE plays all game. Will this change? Why have we have not seen much of Graham or Willson and why was Vannett only targeted once? Is this a missing point of offence that we may see during the season.

3. Will the interior pass rush improve when the bullets start to fly for real? Does the team have the necessary talent? Is the FO done with acquisition of interior pass rushers?

4. Is the RB situation actually resolved Rawls, Lacy, Carson , Prosise? Will Prosise ever be reliable? Could one of those 4 guys get traded to acquire a T?

5. Can we expect another move at CB? A trade of Lane or? Who will be starter at RCB?

6. What other questions do you see?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I could see a trade involving Kearse and Lane & potentially a later round draft pick (6-th---7-th) for an interior rushing DT vet like S. Richardson. In my mind I see this as a good possibility & I think I'd be pretty much in favor of such a trade.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Only issue is cap on that deal as I don't think the team would want Richardson for 1 season only at the cost you mention.

Hendo66

Reaction score
OL:
Fant was going to be serviceable, bummed for him. Already shuffling.
Wouldn't mind bringing in a Vet LT cut in the next couple weeks.

TE:
Position looks strong. Always thought Bev doesn't utilize properly. Seems like he'll call for the TE
for a series with success and pretty much forget about it.

Interior DL:
Some of the young's looked promising last night. Might be ok.
Still wouldn't mind the Richardson trade talk being a reality.

RB:
Digging Carson. Dude is performing and looks durable.
Very concerned with the rest of the bunch.
Lacy- had one good run last night but looks like jag. Seems to me he has no fire, not sure how much he wants it.
Rawls/CJ- always injured. Love how they play but never on the field.
AC- Don't think he makes it. OK with me.

DB:
Might have issues opposite Sherm.
Shaq is going to have to learn on the fly. Going to be picked on heavily.
Lane- looks like he has no fire, even while on sidelines. With his performance last year and so far not sure how bad he wants it. Similar to Lacy. Hope i'm reading him wrong.

WR:
Kasen has to be in.
Hoping P Rich & Lock can stay healthy.
Wondering why McEvoy is hardly thrown to. Always makes a play given the chance.

Walsh is Ballin'

sc85sis

Reaction score
jammerhawk":5ej88i1p said:
1. Is the OLine going to be improved this season? The injury to Fant last night has raised the question of the strength of the left side of the line, again. Darn it. Will Ifedi be the starter at RT when the season starts? Is anyone else concerned?

2. Is Coach Bevell deliberately not using the TEs, or does he not know how to use them? Last night I only noticed 4 TE plays all game. Will this change? Why have we have not seen much of Graham or Willson and why was Vannett only targeted once? Is this a missing point of offence that we may see during the season.

3. Will the interior pass rush improve when the bullets start to fly for real? Does the team have the necessary talent? Is the FO done with acquisition of interior pass rushers?

4. Is the RB situation actually resolved Rawls, Lacy, Carson , Prosise? Will Prosise ever be reliable? Could one of those 4 guys get traded to acquire a T?

5. Can we expect another move at CB? A trade of Lane or? Who will be starter at RCB?

6. What other questions do you see?

O-line still a big question mark, especially after George went down. Hopefully some of the younger guys can step up.

Willson is injured (should be back soon) and Graham was held out as a precaution due to back spasms.

Naz looks like he can add a little something. Hopefully Q. Jefferson also will step up. We'll see if John and Pete make adjustments to personnel.

Carson looks legit. No wonder Pete was so excited they got him.

I am excited about Shaq's potential, though he will have some growing pains.

ACFan

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1onjon2d said:

I think the picture is clearer, but by no means resolved.

I can't find a compelling reason to keep Prosise over Collins as the 3rd down back.

Clearly the coaches have been evaluating AC as the 3rd down back heavily. He's been targeted 3 times more than anyone other RB in PS, 8 targets, 7 catchable, 7 catches for 60 yards. been solid in pass protection, has had nice YAC, slipping multiple defenders for extra yards. He has passed with flying colors as a 3rd down back IMO, any dispute there?

CJ is exclusively a 3rd down back, Collins can be a durable, every down runner if called upon.

AC has a history of always being available, CJ has a history of seldom being available.

It would seem to be a no brainer. The fact that CJ might be a better deep threat, or more likely to take one to the house is hardly enough to warrant investing more time in him, you don't need a 3rd down back to run deep pass routes or score 50 yard TDs, you need pass protection first, and to help move the chains with 5 yard catches and YAC. AC has shown to be very good at that. CJ can't show anything without straining something.

Before anyone howls about this, stats for RBs from Friday's game. I understand the relevance isn't that great, but it should be pointed out Davis's 38 yard run came with and against 1st teamers (before Fant got hurt) The remaining 5 carries Davis had came against 2nd and 3rd teamers which he got a total of -1 yard. Collins was the only RB not to get a carry with the 1st team.

Rushing:

A. Collins 10 for 58
M. Davis 6 for 37
C. Carson 6 for 27
E. Lacy 6 for 20

Receiving:

A. Collins 4 for 35
M. Davis 1 for 22
C. Carson 1 for 17
E. Lacy 1 for 3

What if either Rawls and Prosise continue to have injuries?, or both?

Then AC would clearly have a place on the team. I think his reliability and production in the passing game would have established that already if it hadn't of been for that horrible fumble.

Clearer, but far from resolved.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ynsuboc said:

I think it will be improved. Fant is a huge loss. Really was becoming my most interesting player as the season progressed. I'm about ready to close the book on Ifedi. He is hot garbage. I am pretty confident that he will get Wilson injured sometime this season.

No Graham. No Willson. Limited play sample. Also consider Baldwin was out last game. Needed to get him some work. In addition, Seattle has serious need to evaluate their WR bubble group. We know what we have at TE. We don't on the outside. Don't expect to see a lot of TE stuff.

Besides, Wilson was red hot. It's not as if abandoning the TEs was the wrong call.

Don't bet on it. Looks like it's going to be bad again this year.

Looks like it's taking shape.

Don't see us adding anyone. Trade always possible. Not a lot of room to maneuver as far as cutting anyone though. Contracts on that side of the ball are lean as far as cap savings. I still expect Lane to start the year. Simply because the system is admittedly difficult to master. Griffin will play. May be the starter by Thanksgiving. Just seems that adding Brock really points to moving Lane to the outside more. Giving the team the ability to not load up Griffin's plate too much. It worked with Sherman who probably benefitted from not starting right away.

Jville

Reaction score
6. The make up of nickle backs is an interesting story. The addition of Trumaine Brock to compete with Jeremy Lane as a nickle back bumps up the competition. Also, Bradley McDougald and Delano Hill are intriguing as big nickles to counter receiving tight ends. 4-2-5 has become the most popular personnel group by snap count. Also, with the impact of the 2017 defensive back class, could we see a rise in the use of dime packages?

HawkGA

Reaction score
ACFan's devotion is admirable.

I just finished watching the game (well, Game Pass's condensed version of the game). Anybody know why Boykin left the game and then came back in at the end?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ACFan":15bfgcc4 said:
jammerhawk":15bfgcc4 said:

I can't find a compelling reason to keep Prosise over Collins as the 3rd down back.

Clearly the coaches have been evaluating AC as the 3rd down back heavily. He's been targeted 3 times more than anyone other RB in PS, 8 targets, 7 catchable, 7 catches for 60 yards. been solid in pass protection, has had nice YAC, slipping multiple defenders for extra yards. He has passed with flying colors as a 3rd down back IMO, any dispute there?

CJ is exclusively a 3rd down back, Collins can be a durable, every down runner if called upon.

AC has a history of always being available, CJ has a history of seldom being available.

It would seem to be a no brainer. The fact that CJ might be a better deep threat, or more likely to take one to the house is hardly enough to warrant investing more time in him, you don't need a 3rd down back to run deep pass routes or score 50 yard TDs, you need pass protection first, and to help move the chains with 5 yard catches and YAC. AC has shown to be very good at that. CJ can't show anything without straining something.

Before anyone howls about this, stats for RBs from Friday's game. I understand the relevance isn't that great, but it should be pointed out Davis's 38 yard run came with and against 1st teamers (before Fant got hurt) The remaining 5 carries Davis had came against 2nd and 3rd teamers which he got a total of -1 yard. Collins was the only RB not to get a carry with the 1st team.

Rushing:

A. Collins 10 for 58
M. Davis 6 for 37
C. Carson 6 for 27
E. Lacy 6 for 20

Receiving:

A. Collins 4 for 35
M. Davis 1 for 22
C. Carson 1 for 17
E. Lacy 1 for 3

Then AC would clearly have a place on the team. I think his reliability and production in the passing game would have established that already if it hadn't of been for that horrible fumble.

Will you still post here if AC is cut?

Just curious.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1vj15gr5 said:

I just finished watching the game (well, Game Pass's condensed version of the game). Anybody know why Boykin left the game and then came back in at the end?

I think the team wanted to win the game, and also wanted to give Boykin an opportunity to run a 2 minute offense. It is also a reality that the backup would need to come into the game with little notice so I think I understand why the team did it.

ACFan's devotion is admirable but I suspect he may be disappointed at the time of the cuts to 53.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I will say that my own thoughts on AC was that the near the goal line fumble was the nail in his coffin. That said, I just read that Procise didn't even play because his groin tightened up or some other excuse. So while I don't think Procise is in danger of not making the team, he just makes me want to say, What the heck, Dude,?"

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkGA":prgahg4q said:

My theory is that Austin Davis is terrible so they brought back Boykin. Who else to put in there?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ACFan":dfqf12z9 said:
jammerhawk":dfqf12z9 said:

Rushing:

A. Collins 10 for 58
M. Davis 6 for 37
C. Carson 6 for 27
E. Lacy 6 for 20

Receiving:

A. Collins 4 for 35
M. Davis 1 for 22
C. Carson 1 for 17
E. Lacy 1 for 3

The difference between AC and Prosise is that Prosise is a more explosive threat. He will have more explosive plays than AC. AC probably would be more consistent than Prosise. Pete likes explosive plays and that's why he would lean toward Prosise. Which is unfortunate because AC has proven to be more reliable than Prosise when it comes to health.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":26hfe45s said:
HawkGA":26hfe45s said:

My theory is that Austin Davis is terrible so they brought back Boykin. Who else to put in there?
I have an idea.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3qzvdldg said:
Care to share?
Meet the new backup, same as the old backup. Just a thought.

Putting that dream aside, though, I think Boykin has improved from last season. He just appears to have a little more poise and throws with confidence. He could probably go .500 in a pinch.

ACFan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":360h6i0n said:
The difference between AC and Prosise is that Prosise is a more explosive threat. He will have more explosive plays than AC. AC probably would be more consistent than Prosise. Pete likes explosive plays and that's why he would lean toward Prosise. Which is unfortunate because AC has proven to be more reliable than Prosise when it comes to health.

What would you rather have from your 3rd down back? The ability to score a long TD once, maybe twice a season? Or consistently be available to help move the chains, series after series, game after game?

It seems to be bending logic pretty hard to say the former.

Championship teams need star players and role players.

We've got enough star players, or enough that we shouldn't be so desperate to try and fill the 3rd down back spot with another one, that we keep taking chances on CJ.

I'll take steady production over occasional explosivness anyday, especially if your talking about a 3rd down back.

Besides, getting AC to the 2nd level can produce big plays of their own.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ACFan":eq0skw1t said:
hawkfan68":eq0skw1t said:

What would you rather have from your 3rd down back? The ability to score a long TD once, maybe twice a season? Or consistently be available to help move the chains, series after series, game after game?

We've got enough star players, or enough that we shouldn't be so desperate to try and fill the 3rd down back spot with another one, that we keep taking chances on CJ.

I'll take steady production over occasional explosivness anyday, especially if your talking about a 3rd down back.

Except that we brought in Eddie Lacy for that.

chris98251

Reaction score
ACFan":39ztgiao said:
hawkfan68":39ztgiao said:

Besides, getting AC to the 2nd level can produce big plays of their own.

You never have enough Star Players, John and Pete are always looking for that tilt the field player, Prosise does that, just needs to be healthy and stay that way.