A few observations from the game...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Saw Kearse make a nice, aggressive downfield block on a pass play. Also saw him execute his part of the rub route throw to carson. I recall him struggling on those plays last year...would either whiff bad or get flagged. Hopefully that means he's improved.

Kasen Williams had a nice TD grab and special teams tackle. But in contrast to Kearse, appeared to be lost on Mike Davis's TD play. Williams was in front of him and just kind of stared at him for a second before realizing he needed to turn around and block. Sure, Davis still scored, but that kind of hestitation from WRs can leave a lot of potential yards on the board.

Walsh looked good. I have no concerns with the kicking game this year so far. And on his kick to make it 20-7, did he not start to walk toward the Minnesota bench? Was probably just talking to his former teammates and coaches, but maybe he forgot he doesn't play for them anymore lol.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I loved what I saw from Walsh. 2 for 3 from 50+ and one hits the bottom bar? Yes please.
Also, you'll notice that his kicks are nice and high, unlike Haush last year w/his flat looking kicks that got blocked many times. I loved the talking back and forth, he was having fun w/his old teammates. Also, seeing Sherm run out there, and all the other players celebrating w/him was very cool.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The sad part is that people were flat out WAITING for him to miss one, just so they could say "see, he's gonna' kill us this year" blah blah blah

Seymour

Reaction score
I've been on the Walsh "concerned list". Great to see him stepping up, but it may be crunch time in a bigger game for me to get comfortable with him. I sure as heck don't want to see him miss for any reason though. :?:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I know there's no financial reason to cut Kearse, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens anyway.

Baldwin
Williams
Richardson
Lockett
Darboh

There's are your 5 starters, and I could make a case that the upside of both Lawler and McEvoy are far greater than keeping Kearse if Pete wants to go with six WR's on the active roster.

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3pm3h29j said:
I've been on the Walsh "concerned list". Great to see him stepping up, but it may be crunch time in a bigger game for me to get comfortable with him. I sure as heck don't want to see him miss for any reason though. :?:

I was also expecting to see Walsh shank a few, not because he is a bad kicker but I thought our kicking issues last year were mostly due to our LS inconsistent snaps and inability to block. Hauschka has been solid for BUF so it's a win win for both teams...except we're paying Walsh about half of what Hauschka is getting paid.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":30sqmltf said:
I loved what I saw from Walsh. 2 for 3 from 50+ and one hits the bottom bar? Yes please.
Also, you'll notice that his kids are nice and high...

I think you should leave his kids out of this! No matter how high they are.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bonh7ni said:
I know there's no financial reason to cut Kearse, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens anyway.

Baldwin
Williams
Richardson
Lockett
Darboh

There's are your 5 starters, and I could make a case that the upside of both Lawler and McEvoy are far greater than keeping Kearse if Pete wants to go with six WR's on the active roster.

Im with you but the one thing I will say in Kearses favor.....

Baldwin--Rock Solid Superstar
Williams--Horrific injury in college
Richardson--Mr. Glass
Lockett--Coming off nasty leg break
Darboh--Missed time in camp and 1 game w/ Injury, also havn't been on here to check but did he get concussed v vikings?

Kearse for all his flaws, is tough and "available" Not everyone on this list can say that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1bx96r7z said:
Sgt. Largent":1bx96r7z said:

Baldwin
Williams
Richardson
Lockett
Darboh

Richardson--Mr. Glass
Darboh--Missed time in camp and 1 game w/ Injury, also havn't been on here to check but did he get concussed v vikings?

Kearse for all his flaws, is tough and "available" Not everyone on this list can say that.

You're probably right, but this is the first year we have the talent and depth to maybe take a chance on cutting him. I know Pete loves him some Kearse because he's solid and does what's asked of him.

But if we ever want to have TWO dynamic starters, gonna have to allow one of these other guys a chance to step up..........and as of now that's Williams, he's had the best camp of any player at any position.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yu0v604 said:
gowazzu02":2yu0v604 said:
Sgt. Largent":2yu0v604 said:

Baldwin
Williams
Richardson
Lockett
Darboh

Richardson--Mr. Glass

You're probably right, but this is the first year we have the talent and depth to maybe take a chance on cutting him. I know Pete loves him some Kearse because he's solid and does what's asked of him.

But if we ever want to have TWO dynamic starters, gonna have to allow one of these other guys a chance to step up..........and as of now that's Williams, he's had the best camp of any player at any position.

So Pete doesn't ask him to actually catch the ball when it's thrown to him?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Kearse does a lot of the rub routes and blocking that set things up for Doug. He got called for OPI multiple times last year, but after Pete had the NFL review the calls, they said most of them were bad flags.

Smellyman

Reaction score
At some point the selling point for a wide receiver being a good blocker needs to stop.

'He may suck as a receiver, but he can block.' Maybe we should just line Reece out there. He can block better and perhaps catch better too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smellyman":2s3dj4rf said:
At some point the selling point for a wide receiver being a good blocker needs to stop.

'He may suck as a receiver, but he can block.' Maybe we should just line Reece out there. He can block better and perhaps catch better too.

No it doesn't Kearse and Baldwin are both good at blocking down field in the running game, Holmgren applauded Ingrum and Jackson as well as Robinson for their ability to Block as well, Diva WR's that can't block and take plays off if they are not getting the ball hurt the team more then those that are involved every play in some way. Kearse plays the whole game because of this, don't blame him if others can't step up with a more complete game and take his spot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that had Blair Walsh whiffed that field goal against ANY team but Seattle back in that playoff game, we wouldn't be doubting him nearly as much.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":2lhuwowu said:
Smellyman":2lhuwowu said:

No it doesn't Kearse and Baldwin are both good at blocking down field in the running game, Holmgren applauded Ingrum and Jackson as well as Robinson for their ability to Block as well, Diva WR's that can't block and take plays off if they are not getting the ball hurt the team more then those that are involved every play in some way. Kearse plays the whole game because of this, don't blame him if others can't step up with a more complete game and take his spot.

complete game? Minus the getting open and catching the ball part.

We'll just rename the position to Wide Blocker for Kearse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smellyman":3q789u8j said:
chris98251":3q789u8j said:
Smellyman":3q789u8j said:

Yet you fail miserably to address the fact nobody has taken his spot because they "GET OPEN BETTER" " CATCH BETTER", as well as block better for the running game.

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":1rwg1kt0 said:
Smellyman":1rwg1kt0 said:
chris98251":1rwg1kt0 said:
Smellyman":1rwg1kt0 said:

Yet you fail miserably to address the fact nobody has taken his spot because they "GET OPEN BETTER" " CATCH BETTER", as well as block better for the running game.

I am not the GM. It should've been addressed ages ago and they definitely should not have given him a big extension when nobody in the league wanted him as a free agent. Now he is dead weight, but at least he blocks well.