espn ranks nfl qbs

gowazzu02

Reaction score
So I heard Salk going OFF this morning about this list. Apparently Sando tabs 50 nfl guys, scouts, gm's, personel dudes etc. all anonymously.

And here is his list. http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... gers#Tier2

It's an insider story, but Salk listed off the players who are ahead of Wilson.

In order

Tier 1
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisburger
Brees
Ryan

Tier 2
LUCK!
Carr
Rivers
Stafford
Russel Wilson

Discuss.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Would not have Ryan in tier 1...nor Luck in tier 2 as he should be lower. RW suitably ranked.

Seymour

Reaction score
Discuss?

A 3 year old could come up with a better ranking than that. Wilson at 10 is just more too short crap.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Yeah rankings are meaningless and a waste of time. I am happy we have RW as our QB.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Seymour":2vs00958 said:
Discuss?

A 3 year old could come up with a better ranking than that. Wilson at 10 is just more too short crap.

It's funny every other qb gets an excuse, or better said isn't held to the same standard as RW.

The narrative is RW has a great defense and great running game (although his running game hasn't been great in two years. Last year ranked 25th.

He also never gets credit for dealing the dog poo offensive line,

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":qnlg9kxx said:
Would not have Ryan in tier 1...nor Luck in tier 2 as he should be lower. RW suitably ranked.

Ryan was the MVP last year, and sure as hell carved us up pretty good in our playoff game. He belongs in tier 1.

I'm actually OK with the rankings, Russell's doesn't belong in tier one just yet.......he's definitely at the top of the tier 2 QB's for me, but not quite in the same conversation as guys like Ryan, Brady and Rodgers when it comes to the mental understanding of the game.

But he's close, and from what I've seen in the preseason, if Russell can actually stay upright, he's going to be in that tier one next year.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I would love to see how well all those QBs performed behind Seattles historically bad OL last year. Could you imagine the damage Russell would do behind the Cowboys and Raiders OLs. He would just be cherry picking all day.

Wilson is no worse than the 5th best QB in the league

HawkGA

Reaction score
When I first looked at it, I didn't realize Carr was so high on the list. I wouldn't have Russ behind anybody in tier 2. I think a good discussion would be whether you put Ryan or Wilson in Tier 1. Ryan is coming off of last year's great season so I can see why he gets there this year. But putting Luck, Carr, Rivers, and Stafford ahead of Wilson? Puh-lease!

DJrmb

Reaction score
The sad part about this is that it's coming from 50 guys that work in NFL front offices (scout's, GM's, etc). This reeks of sour grapes to me from those that passed on Wilson in the draft.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":iafhjoxa said:
When I first looked at it, I didn't realize Carr was so high on the list. I wouldn't have Russ behind anybody in tier 2. I think a good discussion would be whether you put Ryan or Wilson in Tier 1. Ryan is coming off of last year's great season so I can see why he gets there this year. But putting Luck, Carr, Rivers, and Stafford ahead of Wilson? Puh-lease!

Roethlisburger doesn't belong above him either.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Rest of the West...

T16 Palmer
31 Hoyer
32 Goff

*Kaepernick was #29

jammerhawk

Reaction score
ESPN has credibility? :pukeface:

Lately, they are firing anyone who knows anything or those the know anything are leaving the sinking ship. This ranking is nonsense and simply someone's opinion that seems not to be based upon any objective parameters.

OK, whatever?

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
DJrmb":2ylgku3n said:
The sad part about this is that it's coming from 50 guys that work in NFL front offices (scout's, GM's, etc). This reeks of sour grapes to me from those that passed on Wilson in the draft.

I thought about that too. I dont think its sour grapes... its just ineptness. think about it for a second. Seattle, NE, GB, Pitt, Atl, maybe Denver, Carolina, New York Giants, MAYBE Dallas, ....... one of those teams will win the superbowl, rest of the league has no shot.

So no surprise that nfl guys who gave big time qb contracts to Glennon, Osweiler, Flacco, Bradford think inside their stupid little box that keeps them from being successful.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think three things are happening on this list:

1) Russell Wilson is getting penalized by recency bias.

2) Russell Wilson is no longer getting the ascendancy bump.

3) Wilson is now getting dinged for seeming to not be a good fit in every offense.

ON #1:

Seahawks fans have a ton of reasons for it, but last year Wilson played the full season and was #10 in yards, #7 in YPA, #17 in TDs, #16 in INTs, and #14 in QB rating.

Average across those five standard QB stats he was the 13th best QB in the NFL.

Basically, I suspect that Hawks fans note that he was playing injured and the line was bad and want to move him up from 13th to 5th or 6th, whereas professional evaluators in the NFL take these things and move him up to 10.

ON #2:

Wilson is 28 now and is going into his sixth season as a full-time starter. I don't know if it's wise or fair or not, but he's no longer getting the "still improving" bump that young QBs get.

Last year also really changed opinions of Wilson, as people, for the first time, got to see him trying to carry his team without an all-world defense and all-world running game. I know Hawks fans have reasons for this, but he didn't do too well in that role, which is one of the reasons the Hawks have been adamant about returning to a run-first offense.

ON #3:

I've posted a lot about this before and will spare the details, but folks have been waiting for Wilson to develop into a player that can use the pocket and manipulate the pocket like all the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 QBs, and that just hasn't happened yet. Even this pre-season he has still been doing the same stuff that drives a lot of offensive coordinators and coaches batty.

PERSONALLY, as I've said before, I still think he'll have a Roethlisberger-like career trajectory (going from being a very good QB to a top 5 QB in his 30s as he finally settles down behind the LOS and learns how to use his blocking to his advantage), but as for right now I think this ranking makes sense (caveat: EVEN THOUGH I think he'll be higher than #10 by the end of this year).

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2l0ec372 said:

3) Wilson is now getting dinged for seeming to not be a good fit in every offense.

ON #1:

Seahawks fans have a ton of reasons for it, but last year Wilson played the full season and was #10 in yards, #7 in YPA, #17 in TDs, #16 in INTs, and #14 in QB rating.

Basically, I suspect that Hawks fans note that he was playing injured and the line was bad and want to move him up from 13th to 5th or 6th, whereas professional evaluators in the NFL take these things and move him up to 10.

ON #2:

Wilson is 28 now and is going into his sixth season as a full-time starter. I don't know if it's wise or fair or not, but he's no longer getting the "still improving" bump that young QBs get.

Last year also really changed opinions of Wilson, as people, for the first time, got to see him trying to carry his team without an all-world defense and all-world running game. I know Hawks fans have reasons for this, but he didn't do too well in that role, which is one of the reasons the Hawks have been adamant about returning to a run-first offense.

ON #3:

I've posted a lot about this before and will spare the details, but folks have been waiting for Wilson to develop into a player that can use the pocket and manipulate the pocket like all the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 QBs, and that just hasn't happened yet. Even this pre-season he has still been doing the same stuff that drives a lot of offensive coordinators and coaches batty.

PERSONALLY, as I've said before, I still think he'll have a Roethlisberger-like career trajectory (going from being a very good QB to a top 5 QB in his 30s as he finally settles down behind the LOS and learns how to use his blocking to his advantage), but as for right now I think this ranking makes sense (caveat: EVEN THOUGH I think he'll be higher than #10 by the end of this year).

In order to be a pocket passer you need to be given a pocket to pass from...........

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DJrmb":3nl4huzu said:
This reeks of sour grapes to me from those that passed on Wilson in the draft.

That doesn't seem to be hurting Tom Brady too much, who was taken three rounds after Wilson

andyh64000

Reaction score
Popeyejones":lepgu98j said:
DJrmb":lepgu98j said:
This reeks of sour grapes to me from those that passed on Wilson in the draft.

That doesn't seem to be hurting Tom Brady too much, who was taken three rounds after Wilson

Nobody is left in any front office from when he was drafted.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3mvtefvs said:
In order to be a pocket passer you need to be given a pocket to pass from...........

Yeah, we've been around this ferris wheel many times before and people just end up pissed at me or anyone else who says that's not the full story.

In brief (and I'll leave it at this explanation as I have no interest in derailing this thread into being about how much I suck) I'm refering to (1) what Wilson does when he does have a pocket, and (2) what Wilson does when he enters the pocket.

As (I think) Robert Mays pointed out about a month ago when The Ringer did their QB rankings and had Wilson at 10, the hawks use a lot of gadget throws and throws from the top of the pocket, which in itself tells you what they think about Wilson from the pocket when it is there (fwiw it doesn't have anything to do with his height -- see Drew Brees).

:2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1u1vfktq said:

ON #1:

ON #2:

ON #3:

Well you are entitled to your OPINION, but the facts do not agree with them, at least as it relates to #3 the other 2 are pure speculation