We need another gunner like Ricardo Lockette!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like we have really been missing something special teams wise since Ricardo's tragic injury. His intensity and pursuit set the tone for the whole special teams unit, He was always the first one down colliding and disrupting the receiving team. I know he wasn't a huge fan fave for a few reasons, but I really feel like we lost an integral component of our team.

I think it's important to find someone in his mold that can bring that back to us. Any projections or ideas on who is best suited to potentially take on the role from this year? Is their someone on the outside looking in whose best shot at making the squad is fulfilling the gunner role?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I don't feel like Special Teams has been a weekness or anything. I know Ryan is really good at getting big hang time so that helps.

add in blair walshs big leg and I think our ST's will be just fine.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Lane was an outstanding gunner. McCray seemed to be at least okay. Neiko Thorp makes a lot of plays (perhaps without Lockette's splash). This past draft seemed to place a priority on special teams potential, and I could see someone from that class rise to become a quality gunner. There are lots of athletic young DBs on the roster right now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Special teams will be a huge factor in deciding who gets cut, and we have a lot of talent on the backup WR/RB/DB crews right now. I suspect we will come out of this well. Delano Hill could be an intriguing gunner.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Kasen Williams seems to be taking on this role. Lockette was a huge loss in this arena. For a team like ours, who lives or dies in the field position battle, the gunner is key.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lane and Thorpe are still quite good at that role.

Team still looks very solid in this respect. Williams flashed in that capacity as well.

Jville

Reaction score
Yes, it would be terrific to see a new gunner show up big time tomorrow night. Should be plenty of young receivers and defensive backs looking to claim a special role to make this 2017 team.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
These late, pre-season games always make me nervous. Only NFL player I ever took care of was a young Viking who was going all out to make the team in pre-season. Watched the injury on TV and knew it would be coming to us.

He turned out ok, but didn't make the team.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That would be great, but it turns out that dudes who are 6'2", 210 lbs that run a 4.3 do not just grow on trees. Ricardo was a special, special athlete. The Hawks do not have a player on the roster with that size and speed combo. Griffin might be the closest.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Griffin will be a likely starter on D as RCB if Lane is moved.

I agree with the above post as Ricardo was a special athlete and a valuable ST player. Replacing his size and speed is not something easily accomplished.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2r2nz9vj said:
That would be great, but it turns out that dudes who are 6'2", 210 lbs that run a 4.3 do not just grow on trees. Ricardo was a special, special athlete. The Hawks do not have a player on the roster with that size and speed combo. Griffin might be the closest.

Well, there are guys out there is those vitals, but what separated Ricardo was that he developed a blood thirst for hitting people. Once he got that first great knockout shot he turned into a weapon.