Sheldon Richardson: A framework for a deal

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Saw this article: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/8/30/16 ... hawks-jets

Have been keenly interested in this trade since it was first hinted that we were pursuing it early in the offseason. And this article lays out some of the reasons why both teams would be motivated.

However it was completely devoid of any actual details of how such a deal might be possible. So I figured I'd do a bit of rosterbation to outline how this deal could be consummated.

This deal is possible. Not in a 'trade Kearse for Richardson and a first round pick' kind of way either. I'll outline below the barriers to the deal each separately.

1. Motivation

Both teams are equally motivated to make a move. The Jets want cap relief and value. Seattle needs an interior pass rusher for a championship run. There is no lack of motivation for either party in this deal.

2. Cap space

Seattle is currently sitting on 8M in available cap space. Of which, 5M is necessary for IR/PS concerns throughout the season. That leaves 3M in available 'true' cap space.

NY is 20M under the cap. They'd like to get that even lower for next years' rebuild. They are currently shopping Richardson and Matt Forte in an effort to get lower. Richardson's contract is uniquely valuable to jettison as there is no dead money attached. It'd boost their cap deficit to 28M.

Seattle needs about 5M in cap relief in order to pull the trigger on this deal. Outside of Jimmy Graham (who they won't/shouldn't let go to make this deal), no one player can realistically deliver this relief.

I'll assume that no existing player opts to restructure a deal. One, it's not really likely and two, Seattle doesn't do those kinds of kick the can deals.

3. Roster slots

Seattle already has 9 DL pretty much locked in as viable and quality players. If we add Richardson as a DT, then we'd basically be removing one of our existing DTs to make room.

Seattle also is deep in the following position groups. So deep that we're going to cut guys who in any other year would merit making this roster. Guys that almost assuredly will not reach the practice squad. Those groups are:

RB
WR
CB

If Seattle is going to shed cap space, it'll be best to come from these groups. We won't be sacrificing so much quality in talent.

4. Devil in the details

Seattle has to drop one DT, and enough players from those three groups to recoup 5M in cap space. Here's how I'd see it going down.

Trade:

NY wants cap space. They want draft picks. It'll take a 2018 third round pick to satisfy the draft pick need. The cap space is immaterial. Since any player they get (so long as it's before cutdown day), they can simply cut and be free and clear of that salary. All guaranteed money already exists and remains on Seattle's books.

Seattle trades 2018 3rd round pick and combination of Eddie Lacy and/or Jeremy Lane for Sheldon Richardson.

Lacy (2M)
Lane (1.5M)

Seattle isn't done though as that's not enough salary trimmed. Still need at least 2m and probably upwards of 4M to be straight with the cap.

Seattle cut candidates:

Rubin (2M)

Rubin satisfies the roster problem for Seattle (DT for DT roster switch). Cutting Rubin provided 2M in cap relief for Seattle. He's the only DT other than Michael Bennett who provides relief. And Rubin provides double the relief of Bennett. Plus Richardson and Rubin play the exact same position.

Kearse (2.2M)

Kearse is a fan maligned player who seems to enjoy a better opinion from his bosses. Of the WR group, Kearse is the only one other than Baldwin who can provide any cap savings. And we are not letting Baldwin go.

That gets us 7.5M under the cap. Plenty enough savings to make this deal. Could do it with just 3 of these but we'd be right up against the cap there.

At first blush, it seems a stupid steep price for Seattle.

Give up:

2018 3rd
Ahtyba Rubin
Eddie Lacy
Jeremy Lane
Jermaine Kearse

for

Sheldon Richardson

But if you consider the guys on the roster bubble you can now retain that looks a bit different:

Sheldon Richardson
Pierre Desir/Nieko Thorpe
Amara Darboh/Tanner McEvoy
Alex Collins

Those other guys aren't spectacular. But guys that would (and in most cases did) make our roster and contributed.

Seattle would have to be comfortable going with Rawls/Carson with Collins as the 3rd string. They'd also end up leaning on Brock/Griffin for heavy roles with the loss of Lane.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that NY elects to jettison Lane or Lacy (or both). Meaning if they cleared waivers which at their salary should almost be expected -- Seattle could be in the mix to resign them not unlike we've done with a lot of our players we've let test the open market.

Seattle has good depth to absorb the loss of Lacy and Kearse. A bit less so for Lane. And a pretty forgiving first 5 weeks of the season to get guys performing better before the meat of the schedule.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
But we already have two highly paid DE's on the roster already. If Richardson comes
does he move inside?

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1l07mche said:
But we already have two highly paid DE's on the roster already. If Richardson comes
does he move inside?

Richardson is a 3T. Basically a pass rushing Nazair Jones.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The compensation makes sense I suppose, but it is a lot of moving pieces. I know deadlines spur action, but it seems like this would have happened already?

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3mfic4gd said:
The compensation makes sense I suppose, but it is a lot of moving pieces. I know deadlines spur action, but it seems like this would have happened already?

I don't think this happens at all, unless we had a better feel for how our depth was at these positions.

Remember, RB was considered thin. WR we drafted early for. CB we added early, often and via UFA.

I think the results we got at all three position groups exceeded what we maybe had hoped for. Certainly Carson at RB, Williams at WR and the additions of Brock/Griffin/McDougald were a bit unknown early on. I think the comfort level with those question marks heading into training camp is right now what would give Seattle the confidence to pull off something like this.

We probably weren't in a position to sacrifice that kind of talent without having immediate successors we could count on.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I wouldn't cut Lacy. Not until Rawls proves he can play an entire season.

Josea16

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3lnouwag said:
I wouldn't cut Lacy. Not until Rawls proves he can play an entire season.
Exactly. Lacy isn't a guy that will take it to the house like Rawls but he's definitely durable unlike Rawls as of yet.

titan3131

Reaction score
Lacy is safe,

To me the most likely situation is we extend a player to alleviate cap this year.... say Jimmy Graham, Cut Rubin and trade kearse and a draft pick for Sheldon richardson.

Josea16

Reaction score
titan3131":3073bo0d said:
Lacy is safe,

To me the most likely situation is we extend a player to alleviate cap this year.... say Jimmy Graham, Cut Rubin and trade kearse and a draft pick for Sheldon richardson.
I'd literally orgasm if that happened. Never will given Russ seems to love Kearse more then Ciara for some stupid reason?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the Jets really want to offload Richardson it won't cost as much as several of the Maddenesque deals proposed above.

Richardson and a 5th for Kearse and a 3rd. No extra payers needed. Win/win.

mikeak

Reaction score
Jets completely lacking a serviceable QB helps this trade. They know they will suck so why not create draft capital and clear salary cap.

massari

Reaction score
If they're able to trade Lane, that'd free up $4M in cap room. Releasing him saves nothing.

Cutting or trading Kearse($2.2M)+Rubin($2.2M)+Wilhoite($1.05M) would free up about $5.4M.

Trade a 2nd rounder for Sheldon Richardson. If the Jets want any of the players above, they can be thrown-in as well.

But if Desmond Bryant looks great, Sheldon Richardson might not even be needed.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm with you Atylla. When I first heard about this supposed pursuit for Richardson, I was intrigued by it as well, as you see how it could make sense for both clubs. When news broke yesterday about the Hawks supposedly shopping Kearse around, this is immediately what came to mind -- that the Hawks were possibly working on brokering a deal with the Jets for Richardson. Kearse alone wouldn't do it, as you'd laid out here beautifully.

The Jets are in desperate need of WR help ... and they also need CB as well. AND (as you mentioned) they are truly gearing up for next year. So, I was wondering if ...

Kearse ($2.2 M) + Lane ($4 M) + a draft choice (say a 3rd Rounder) might be enough to swing a deal?

And given our depth at both the WR and CB positions, that would open up spots for guys who might otherwise get cut like a McEvoy, a Darboh, or a Thorpe.

Could make a lot of sense for both clubs, actually.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I would trade kearse, lane and a draft pick for Richardson in a heartbeat. We need a pass rush desperately.

DJrmb

Reaction score
titan3131":2u33r6y4 said:
Lacy is safe,

This is also the most likely scenario for me as well. If you extend someone like Graham you could easily free up that 5M in cap space that you need because the signing bonus gets stretched out over the entirety of the contract. You could free up that 5M+ by extending Graham for 3 years and converting his base salary to signing bonus. Other players you could extend and come up with more cap are Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. It all comes down to which of those guys you know you want to keep long term (and who you think you'll continue getting the most value out of).

Here is an example of how the Ravens did this with Terrell Suggs' extension to make some room in the cap:

Let’s use the Terrell Suggs' recent extension with the Ravens as an example. Suggs was in the last year of his contract and scheduled to make $7.8 million. The Ravens increased that $7.8 million to $12 million with a completely different structure: $11 million signing bonus and $1 million salary. With the signing bonus now prorated over this year and four additional years, Suggs' cap number—excluding previous unamortized proration—went from $7.8 million to $3.2 million, calculated as follows: $2.2 million of proration on the new bonus and $1 million salary.

Now, Suggs’ 2014 cash allocation is $12 million while his 2014 cap allocation is $3.2 million, a nearly $9 million “cash over cap” discrepancy on one player!
https://www.si.com/2014/02/26/nfl-salary-cap-explained

Own The West

Reaction score
What about a three team deal?

SEA: Kearse to Jets, Lane to Cleveland; Get Richardson
Cleveland: Kessler to Jets; Get Lane
Jets: Richardson to Seattle; Get Kearse and Kessler

I think Cleveland would need a late pick from us too, but every team would get something they need for something they don't. (2nd yr QB Kessler, beat out 15 yr vet and current Jets starter McKown in Cleveland; Kearse would be a #1 or 2 on the Jets; and Haden's departure left a hole in Cleveland's secondary.)

The $3.7M Seattle would drop -- in addition to Rubin or whatever DL they cut should make Richardson fit under the cap.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3g04mkk0 said:
If the Jets really want to offload Richardson it won't cost as much as several of the Maddenesque deals proposed above.

Richardson and a 5th for Kearse and a 3rd. No extra payers needed. Win/win.

How do you get under the cap far enough to take Sheldon's contract on? What you proposed doesn't even come close.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Of course it is contingent on a few other things happening to free the cap.

If Kearse is traded that allows the team $10.5 mil (pre- trade $8.3 mil).

Frankly I don't think the team does this deal w/o Richardson accepting less money.

chris98251

Reaction score
Why is this thread even here, it is a pure speculation thread and it should be in the NFL forum.

massari

Reaction score
chris98251":3t0031s3 said:
Why is this thread even here, it is a pure speculation thread and it should be in the NFL forum.
$