How's Your Pulse on the Offensive Line?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but overall, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about all the new additions and overall improvement this group has made. At least, I'm feeling like the Offensive Line is going to be much improved in 2017.

And then, I just so happened to see this ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seattle/status/904707091511816192[/tweet]

I dunno what to make of that as a whole (if anything), as that obviously includes every single snap of the Preseason (which means it also includes guys who were 3rd on the depth chart and no longer on this team).

STILL ... that same fact is true of all the other 31 teams out there as well. Al the other teams out there had their 3rd stringers and cuts included in their stats as well ... and STILL PFF had this Seahawks Offensive Line ranked #31 in terms of QB Pressures allowed during the Preseason.

What do you think guys? How are you feeling about the O-Line as a whole heading into the regular season?

sdog1981

Reaction score
The first unit looked improved. We will see when they have to play for an extended period of time and D coaches start to send more complex blitzes and stunts along the line.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic myself, but maybe that is just my upbeat fan mentality. ;)

Rankings are always a bit subjective, and kind of meaningless without the underlying numbers, as in, how many did the teams around us in the standings allow? Are the numbers really close, or wildly different for the teams 5 spots ahead of us and the team behind us?

I think I'm more worried about our run game, which took major steps backward last year, but seemed to be somewhat improved this pre-season. If we can run the ball well, our play action passing game will be improved, which takes the pressure off of the pass protectors. We had some success running the ball this pre-season, so I'm hopeful.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'm optimistic, it's hard to get any worse.

Ruminator

Reaction score
It's a Joke that we'll have to Battle to make Pocic-tive improvements yet another season. Maybe our OL needs to borrow the Pats' mantra: DO YOUR JOB!

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
I feel the same as I did last year, “This OL doesn’t look that bad in the preseason”. Then the real games started. While I remain hopeful, I also await the regular season with bated breath.

That said, despite our OL woes, this team has been eerily close to the Superbowl the last two years and I expect the same this year, no matter how the O-line shakes out.

At my own disappointment perhaps.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm indifferent about PFF rankings.

The Seahawks are not built for PFF and no Seahawk plays for PFF.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't really care. Bad OL play hasn't prevented us from competing. Nor was it a factor in Russell's specific injuries last year.

Seattle (whether it's Wilson, Pete or both) is a team that generally accepts eating a sack. Wilson's QB rating reflects that in completion percentage and lack of interceptions. All QBs avoid pressure differently. Most deliver an uncatchable ball which reflects in lower completion rates. Or throw errant balls early which reflect in interception rates.

I really don't care about pressures allowed. And Wilson's ridiculous QB rating when facing pressure shouldn't illicit concern from fans either.

The OL should be improved. Probably by a good deal. But it most likely won't reflect on PFF's pass protection grades. It'll be more like we still suck at pass pro, but our rushing game should be in the top 10, instead of the bottom 10. And we'll likely still be competing for first round byes in the playoffs come december like last year. And despite the 'crippling' offensive line we'll probably still be in the top 8-12 offenses in the league.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The first unit looked better to me, minus Ifedi at RT. Pre-season is vanilla though. I think Odi is going to take his share of lumps when real shots are fired.

Hard to be worse than we were last year, really have to try at it.

Atradees

Reaction score
Thus the hurry up offense.
Aaron Rodgers doesn't hold the ball long.
Probably have to find some kind of balance with
That. The fact that Rees did as well or better than Fant speaks volumes.....
We have a lethal defense.
Joekel was an upgrade that will help the rest of the line.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Atradees":1xf47rp4 said:
Thus the hurry up offense.
Aaron Rodgers doesn't hold the ball long.
Probably have to find some kind of balance with
That. The fact that Rees did as well or better than Fant speaks volumes.....
We have a lethal defense.
Joekel was an upgrade that will help the rest of the line.

Very well put. Also, I know he is just a depth player, but the new guy Battle was one of seven tackles to not allow a QB pressure all pre season. So they may have some decent depth as well.

Here is the link to the tweet to prove my claims.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/904400357513715713

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It'll probably be terrible again. It would have looked worse against the Chiefs had they deployed any real pass-rushing talent (which they didn't).

It'll be bad, we'll excoriate Cable, and we'll still make the playoffs.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rankings are always a little funny. In absolute terms, I expect this OL to be better than last year's. Of course, if every OL is better than they were last year then the Hawks could easily slide down the rankings. Also, it could be that the difference between #1 and #32 is really small so in practical terms it doesn't make a difference.

All of that said, given that a line is only as good as its weakest link, I expect the rankings to be low until Ifedi is replaced (or improves dramatically).

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2oi56ssm said:
I don't really care. Bad OL play hasn't prevented us from competing. Nor was it a factor in Russell's specific injuries last year.

Seattle (whether it's Wilson, Pete or both) is a team that generally accepts eating a sack. Wilson's QB rating reflects that in completion percentage and lack of interceptions. All QBs avoid pressure differently. Most deliver an uncatchable ball which reflects in lower completion rates. Or throw errant balls early which reflect in interception rates.

I really don't care about pressures allowed. And Wilson's ridiculous QB rating when facing pressure shouldn't illicit concern from fans either.

The OL should be improved. Probably by a good deal. But it most likely won't reflect on PFF's pass protection grades. It'll be more like we still suck at pass pro, but our rushing game should be in the top 10, instead of the bottom 10. And we'll likely still be competing for first round byes in the playoffs come december like last year. And despite the 'crippling' offensive line we'll probably still be in the top 8-12 offenses in the league.

I would tend to agree with you Atylla. I believe that the Offensive Line is IMPROVED ... but in the end, I don't know how much it's going to dictate overall offensive production. IMO this team is going to score points ... AND I'm going to predict that sacks are going to go down. And that has to do more with Russell Wilson's overall improvement in his health this year ... and his overall progression AS a QB.

Sheil Kapadia talked about it last year that Russell Wilson was getting the ball out of his hands (on average) in 2.37 seconds (that was the 9th fastest in the NFL).

That is a remarkable progression, as in 2012 (as a rookie), Russell Wilson had an average snap to release time of 3.12 seconds (SLOWEST of all QB's with at least 175 dropbacks)
https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

So to me, I expect this team to put up points and for the overall offensive numbers to take a quantum leap as I just feel:

1] Russell Wilson is more experienced, is healthy once again, and can avoid pressure once again.

2] Russell Wilson is getting the ball out of his hands quicker than ever, so sacks and overall offensive production should be going up.

3] The Running Game is improved from where it was in 2016 IMO. I think we are going to run the ball again and be back again to the kind of team that wears defenses down with the run ... and then hits them for the big strike downfield.

4] The Offensive Line is more experienced and just has flat out better athleticism and depth throughout the lineup. This Offensive Line doesn't HAVE to be Elite. Would it be nice? Sure, but they don't have to be IMO. We just need average or even mediocre O-Line play in all honesty. All they really have to do, is to be able to effectively get in the way of opposing defenders for an average of 2.5 seconds or so. I feel they can honestly do that, so in general, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about things with this group moving forward.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Its not going to be good for sure. I'm just hoping Russ doesnt get hurt due to them.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I have faith as small as a mustard seed. And being that this is in regards to NFL football, with mountains like Watt, Olivier Vernon and Aaron Donald cascading toward our QB and RB's, I is scurred. BUT, I have hope that Bevell and Cable cooked something up after being publicly skewered since last season.

Nah, I'm lying, I don't have much faith in those 2 guys.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hgwellz12":pahfqof8 said:
I have faith as small as a mustard seed. And being that this is in regards to NFL football, with mountains like Watt, Olivier Vernon and Aaron Donald cascading toward our QB and RB's, I is scurred. BUT, I have hope that Bevell and Cable cooked something up after being publicly skewered since last season.

Nah, I'm lying, I don't have much faith in those 2 guys.

HEY BRO!! If you have THAT MUCH faith ... you should be able to move mountains man!! :pray:

Call the Seahawks. I'm sure Cable could use you on that Offensive Line! :mrgreen:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Anyone who is not concerned about the line is kidding themselves. This is the single biggest weakness on this team. Alos FYI the oline did have an impact on Rw injuries last year. Even if I go with the incorrect idea it did not, the problem is it is only a matter of time. Now again yes concerned, however we will see.

Jville

Reaction score
With a severe shortage of offensive linemen, the biding up salaries and increased poaching has become the league norm. I was relieved to see 10 offensive linemen included in the initial 53 roster. In today's altered NFL environment, numbers are helpful in striving for O-line continuity.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2nzfudzd said:
Attyla the Hawk":2nzfudzd said:

I would tend to agree with you Atylla. I believe that the Offensive Line is IMPROVED ... but in the end, I don't know how much it's going to dictate overall offensive production. IMO this team is going to score points ... AND I'm going to predict that sacks are going to go down. And that has to do more with Russell Wilson's overall improvement in his health this year ... and his overall progression AS a QB.

Sheil Kapadia talked about it last year that Russell Wilson was getting the ball out of his hands (on average) in 2.37 seconds (that was the 9th fastest in the NFL).

That is a remarkable progression, as in 2012 (as a rookie), Russell Wilson had an average snap to release time of 3.12 seconds (SLOWEST of all QB's with at least 175 dropbacks)
https://www.profootballfocus.com/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

So to me, I expect this team to put up points and for the overall offensive numbers to take a quantum leap as I just feel:

1] Russell Wilson is more experienced, is healthy once again, and can avoid pressure once again.

2] Russell Wilson is getting the ball out of his hands quicker than ever, so sacks and overall offensive production should be going up.

3] The Running Game is improved from where it was in 2016 IMO. I think we are going to run the ball again and be back again to the kind of team that wears defenses down with the run ... and then hits them for the big strike downfield.

4] The Offensive Line is more experienced and just has flat out better athleticism and depth throughout the lineup. This Offensive Line doesn't HAVE to be Elite. Would it be nice? Sure, but they don't have to be IMO. We just need average or even mediocre O-Line play in all honesty. All they really have to do, is to be able to effectively get in the way of opposing defenders for an average of 2.5 seconds or so. I feel they can honestly do that, so in general, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about things with this group moving forward.

5) Bevell has adapted.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but it's largely the system providing the targets that ALLOWS Russ to get rid of the ball.