Is the Richardson trade worth the price if only 1 season?

Is this a good trade if he only stays 1 season?

• YES

Votes: 144 94.7%
  • NO

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
I've read Pete an John will try to lock up Richardson for a long term deal. If his price is just too high, and we are only able to get 1 year for him after losing Kearse and a 2nd round pick, is that too much??

If we win it all, I'd say yes for sure. But lets say we have similar results as last season, would this then be a bad deal?

Wondering how others feel on this?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's really just Kearse and swapping a 2nd for a 3rd (comp)

And in that, i'd say no, the price is not too high

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":y6vcpmjk said:

I haven't looked into the comp pick question, but I do believe that a 3rd would not be a given.

Update...added a poll.

Foghawk

Reaction score
I think it was a great trade, whether he is signed long term or not. :2thumbs:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seymour":1q75fm65 said:
Uncle Si":1q75fm65 said:

I haven't looked into the comp pick question, but I do believe that a 3rd would not be a given.

Update...added a poll.
Why would a 3rd not be given? He'll most likely get a large contract offer in the off season

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":36i39j7z said:
Uncle Si":36i39j7z said:

Update...added a poll.

There are a lot of variables, but without hindsight, and only looking forward at the possibilities and what we know we have, I believe the risk is well worth the reward. Will it pan out? Nobody knows, but looking at it right now (which is all we can do), this was well worth it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seymour":1e94vndb said:
Uncle Si":1e94vndb said:

Update...added a poll.

If he signs elsewhere for the amount he is rumored to be seeking it is effectively a given.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Yes, it's worth the risk. When the window of opportunity is as small as it is in today's NFL, you have to swing for the fences on occasion. Kearse was serviceable, but was potentially going to be cut anyway. Essentially, Richardson was acquired for a late second. Well worth it.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The logical question to ask, "What will be his quality of play?
The initial sentiment here is that SR can "walk all over" every opponent's OL and hence he is a "sack machine".
From what I've observed in pictures from TC this week is that he is out of shape gasping for air.
After observing an entire season of great play, staying healthy and staying out of trouble....then I'm sure the FO will come up with the necessary cash.

tooshort

Reaction score
Yes the trade is absolutely worth it, unless he gets his third strike in the substance abuse program.

And.... Unless he gets that third strike I can't see how the unicorn that is a pass rushing DT doesn't get a high enough tiered contract to net us a third if he leaves.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Uncle Si":169q9m9i said:

The switch of 7th rounders shouldn't be forgotten either. It means a probable 30ish spot upgrade for that pick.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Its been proven that team's can win Super Bowls with dominant defensive lines. Getting someone like Richardson in the prime of his career. Totally worth it even for just one season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Let's get real my fellow Hawk fans! He hasn't even played his first game yet. This question ought to be addressed no sooner than the end of October.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think that Richardson for one year is not a good trade. If you look at it from the perspective that we are only swapping a 2 and 3, and giving up Kearse, then I think the argument may be made it is a good deal even if he is out after one year. However, that overlooks other deals we may have been able to secure (granted if any) and perhaps we may have been able to land something better than a one year rental with some other team.

I think Richardson could play a major role in us winning another championship, but I do not think it is this year. I honestly cannot see us winning the SB with the current OL and I think our defense is good but aging. I am hoping Richardson acts as a catalyst to rejuvenate the defense and am still hoping he is the piece that puts us back in 2013 form (as I think the pass rush has been our biggest problem the past 2 years outside of OL of course). I understand we only gave up a TD or less in preseason, but half of preseason was against offensive players who did not make the cut of their team either. Plus our opening series on defense were not exactly impressive by any stretch.

One the other side of the coin, this trade also gives us a year to court him for a longer deal so maybe it is a good trade from that perspective.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Absolutely worth it, cause even if he leaves we get a compensatory 3rd rounder.

I actually think we're going to resign Richardson, especially if he plays like everyone thinks he's going to play on this defense. But that means we better get ready to see one or even two big names cut next off season. Avril, KJ, even Sherman might not get that 2nd big contract..........which would free up more than enough to keep Richardson.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
This is what I said in the Richardson thread ...

You know, I kind of hate to use this as an example, but what the heck? I'm OK with a 1 year rental for a super star player. I remember back to 1994 when the 49ers went out there and brought in Neon Deion Sanders on a 1 year deal. They knew it was a rent-a-player for 1 year as well, as they knew there was no way they were going to be able to afford to keep the best CB in the game. You know what happened? He ended up being voted NFC Defensive Player of the Year ... and the 49ers rode him all the way to a 49-26 Super Bowl victory in SB XXIX. He WAS gone the next year (signed with the Cowboys) ... but was it worth it for 1 season? Heck yeah it was. Lombardi Trophies are forever man.

I'm hoping for similar results with Richardson. ;)
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138056&start=50

I agree with you Seymour that I don't believe the Hawks view this as a 1 year rental. I'm 100% convinced John Schneider is going to try to ink him to a long term deal. But even if it IS only a 1 year rental ... Absolutely YES.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pete and JS would surely use that 2nd to trade back to the 3rd to take a player some one else likes in the 5th that will end up playing behind an undrafted free agent. They will also pick Kearse back up after the Jet's cut him next camp.
If the addition of Richardson makes those around him better and causes Bennett to remember that he is highly paid to tackle QB's during the fall and Winter months then yes it's a great deal for us.