How important is this Packers game?

Erebus

Reaction score
You can easily say it doesn't matter that much because funny things always happen in week one and you have plenty of time to recover. However, the Packers are one of just a few teams that we're most likely going to compete with for playoff positioning. Our week one victory over them in 2014 was the difference between playing the NFCCG at home vs Lambeau. This is as big of a week one matchup as you can get, IMO.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
With a very tough game in Tennesse Game 3, I think it is important. We need to win one of those games, preferably the one vs an NFC competitor.

Seymour

Reaction score
If we win it will be important.

If we lose, it will not be important.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's not in the big picture.

More important for fans' expectations of the season. Winning game one is a bonus for either team.

For us, I think we could afford to drop the game. GB's schedule looks significantly more difficult than ours

GB: Dal, @ATL, @PIT, TB, BAL, @CAR)
SEA: @TEN, @DAL, @NYG, HOU, PHI, WAS

Also it's no stretch to think that NFCN is a more stout division. At best, GB will tie our divisional record. Probably will enjoy a one game advantage there.

GB looks like they'll play a tougher NFC non conference slate and definitely a tougher AFC slate. On paper, it looks like they could have 2-3 more losses than we do by the end of this thing.

I think it doesn't stack in our favor. We generally start the seasons slowly. GB starts off hot. Our record there is poor. Also it kind of has the feel that this game maybe is seen as a too early litmus test. We have a lot of nagging questions:

1. Is our OL going to be ok? Or will it be another dumpster fire?
2. Is our Secondary going to be great after injuries? Or did we witness the beginning of age decline?
3. Will Wilson bounce back after injuries? Was last year just an aberration?
4. Will our rushing game improve with new faces?
5. Will Richardson complete what looks like a dominant defense?

Seems this game at this point is more about confirmation of an offseason of 'should be' for us. Our OL should be better. Russell should be better. Lacy should make us better. Richardson should make us better.

I don't think this game answers those questions if we lose. But I do think it does if we win. This is a game that we probably should lose. Simply because Rodgers is great and plays great early. But if we do win, then I fully expect that probably as many as four of those should be questions will be answered affirmatively. And given the caliber of opposition for the next 5 weeks -- I could see us really begin to gain confidence heading into our tough stretch of the schedule.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's a good time to catch them as their O line is adjusting to 2 new players and Bulaga supposedly has ankle issues. Good time for our D line to establish it's the best in the league. I also want Lacy to stick it to those smug Packer fans.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
All during the offseason I calculated this first game as a SURE loss, but ya know I am starting to just get that feeling in my gut that RW is gonna be super and our D is FINALLY gonna get a little bit (PLEASE) of pressure on Rodgers, so he can't sit back there and pick us apart (as is his norm).

we are going to surprise everyone and actually roll over the Pack- 35-24

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Marlin Man":4hlsqr6a said:
All during the offseason I calculated this first game as a SURE loss, but ya know I am starting to just get that feeling in my gut that RW is gonna be super and our D is FINALLY gonna get a little bit (PLEASE) of pressure on Rodgers, so he can't sit back there and pick us apart (as is his norm).

we are going to surprise everyone and actually roll over the Pack- 35-24

Ever since the schedule came out I have looked at this game as a loss. Factors include, not winning there since 99, Rodgers, Lambeau, etc. Most of the losses since 99 in GB have been in late season cold games. Frigid frozen conditions will not be a problem Sunday.

I too am starting to get a feeling that this might just be a win. The fire and hunger seems to be back. The defense is improved. The o-line has to be better than last year. Russ is healthy. Lacy has motivation.

Will I be disappointed with a loss? Yes. Devastated? No. Surprised by a win? Not anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is the NFL, every game is important.

But IMO the most important part if we lose is how we lose. If we lose a close 17-14 type game, I'm OK with that.

If we get our doors blown off like last time at Lambeau? Then there's still some systemic lingering defensive issues going on that are cause for great concern.

But if we win, and look good doing it? Could be a table setter for a special season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
very good point
A tough battle to the end would go a long way. A big win on the road could be huge for the Home Field (head to head) at the end.

pmedic920

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3fhyqsxr said:
Every game is important.

My feelings as well.

I'll add this though, in terms of gaining some national respect, a whole lot of folks will be seeing this game.
fc2538c471656c64d18475ee30ef0773.png

vin.couve12

Reaction score
pmedic920":f7u54w9j said:
vin.couve12":f7u54w9j said:
Every game is important.

My feelings as well.

I'll add this though, in terms of gaining some national respect, a whole lot of folks will be seeing this game.
Ah, see now disrespect IS actually something that fuels the average Hawk.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
pmedic920":lska1020 said:
vin.couve12":lska1020 said:
Every game is important.

My feelings as well.

I just saw this at 506 and was shocked. I am in the far south of Oregon and 95% of the time there is a conflict in time/net with the 9ers, we get the 9ers game.

In my mind, this game is the difference between a potential 14-2 season and something closer to the last couple of years.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2qbe51pr said:
This is the NFL, every game is important.

But IMO the most important part if we lose is how we lose. If we lose a close 17-14 type game, I'm OK with that.

If we get our doors blown off like last time at Lambeau? Then there's still some systemic lingering defensive issues going on that are cause for great concern.

But if we win, and look good doing it? Could be a table setter for a special season.

You are OK with a 17-14L with a Bevell pick at the GB 1 then? :twisted:

12thbrah

Reaction score
Our Super Bowl aspirations depend on us getting home field in the NFC playoffs. I think Green Bay and Atlanta will be battling us for that top spot. It is the first game but could be a tiebreaker at the end of the season.

mikeak

Reaction score
How we win / lose is to me the real important thing.

If we have a team that comes together then we will be fine when it comes to seeding. And yes this is a big game in that regards.

However to me if we can pressure Rodgers, if we move the ball efficiently and if we score in the redzone then I will be calm for the upcoming games even if we lose. If we see all the issues from last year but win then I will expect a nice season that ends before the super bowl.....

Foghawk

Reaction score
A win could likely wind up being huge regarding HFA, and would put the rest of the league on notice right out the gate.

:smiley_boxin:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Huge. It's like a half game getting added either to the W or L column since they will have the tie breaker.

As has been stated they will be battling us for HFa. And lets just say it .. whoever has HFA between these two teams in the playoffs is probably going to win...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think even though it's a early game, it's important for HF advantage.
With a win, it gives us slightly more wiggle room down the season as well.

But, will it make or break us.. NO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Will help in seeding, NFC record, common opponents and win loss.