Can Kris Richard deliver the #1 DVOA Defense? Gus got us #2

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Gus got us 329 in 2010, #10 in 2011, and #2 in 2012
Dan got us #1 in 2013 and 2014 with two Super Bowl appearances
Kris got us #4 in 2015 and #5 in 2016

His defense is as loaded as it has ever been. I'd be disappointed with anything less that #3, It he can achieve #1 I think he'd be in real consideration for a new HC job. So far Seattle DC's are a 50% success rate, there could be a team willing to take the chace.

If that happened would Gus come back? Should he come back... I think he would be even better than he was last time around so if he got us to #2 in 2012 with a very very young crew I think he could maintain status quo more likely slight improvement.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Hmmm...maybe he would be interested in coming back, who knows? Richard is doing a great job though; we're spoiled here recently with our outstanding run of success. Richard will probably be interviewing for a number of head coaching jobs after the season.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
This year Kris is truly blessed to be able to put his foot on some throats with the personnel he's rockin' with. He had to play fairly conservative at times for a few different reasons last year in particular due to injuries, the Cary Williams catastrophe, etc. This year he has a deep unit and can really get after teams. No more soft zones due to match up nightmares.

Josea16

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1ikts7e0 said:
The magic 8 ball says Yes!
I love the Magic 8 Ball. Aros, please bring it back.

I also like puppies and kittens especially from pet shelters so whatever.

chris98251

Reaction score
If were top ten I would be ecstatic, but would be beside myself with a offense that was top ten as well.

RW92

Reaction score
I just think he has to have more field awareness of when to blitz and with the correct personnel. He can't be afraid to send Kam off the edge or Frank Clark to quickly blow up the play.

themunn

Reaction score
Where did we stand last year before Thomas went down?

Without him we gave up 38, 34 and 23 points (to the Niners, which was like 40 points against any other team).

In the 12 games prior we gave up 25 points or less, in 8 of the 12 games prior we gave up less than 20 points - and 3 of the games where we gave up 20-25 were against Atlanta, New Orleans, and New England, the number 1, 2 and 3 scoring offenses in the league.

I'd say it's no stretch to believe that with a healthy Earl Thomas, we could have kept going for the #1 defense last year, and we look even better this year - on paper we look even better than the 2013 defense.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":pxsve2l1 said:
If were top ten I would be ecstatic, but would be beside myself with a offense that was top ten as well.
Which they've had 4 out of the last 5 years.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
All the healrhy pieces are there for a top shelf D. Richard could be more aggressive though-eliminate all soft coverages. With Sheldon, our bull rush front 4 could be scary good to allow for much more press coverage.

sutz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":11nsc8n1 said:
chris98251":11nsc8n1 said:
Careful, or we'll get sucked into the black hole of discussing he who must not be named.

Especially in a thread on defense.

;)

Fudwamper

Reaction score
sutz":3v4trd3g said:
Siouxhawk":3v4trd3g said:
chris98251":3v4trd3g said:
Careful, or we'll get sucked into the black hole of discussing he who must not be named.

Especially in a thread on defense.

;)

Oh how glorious is it to no longer have to deal with the napkin.

Edit: Where is the napkin thread? How come it is not in the archives?

Mojambo

Reaction score
If he can't with this unit, he'll never be a head coach.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RW92":1nqkbo7y said:
I just think he has to have more field awareness of when to blitz and with the correct personnel. He can't be afraid to send Kam off the edge or Frank Clark to quickly blow up the play.

Richard has shown faults, but the timing of his blitzing isn't one of them. We don't blitz very often at all, and when we do, it's usually to great effect. It helps having Bobby Wagner and Earl Thomas, both elite blitzers, but Richard has shown great touch on when and where to blitz.

Also, Frank Clark is by definition not a blitzer, as he's part of the front four.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
One can't win defense accolades if the unit is on the field this often. We would probably lead with fewest points per hour played.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk