Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why don't we run the hurry up all game?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Why don't we run the hurry up all game?
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:19 pm
  • It always works when we run it, why not do it all game?
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• Our defense is already gassed with a slow offense, if we go 3 and out with an up-tempo its like the D never got off the field.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Essentially, we have to do this. Normal tempo doesn't even change total top because it never gets first downs. O line so bad we have to move fast to accomplish anything positive. We will likely see a shift. RW seems all in on it, too
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:Our defense is already gassed with a slow offense, if we go 3 and out with an up-tempo its like the D never got off the field.

D was on the field 40 minutes, I don't know if Chip Kelly did that on his worse games. Even if you get a few quick 3 and outs the first downs make up for it.
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

• 2 or 3 times a half would be worth a try. If not stick to the other stuff that is not working.
    Adopt a rookie 2017-Delano Hall, S, Michigan

seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Have to try something different and Wilson generally thrives and gets in a rhythm with hurry-up. The D certainly couldn't be on the field any more than they were today and often last year.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:Our defense is already gassed with a slow offense, if we go 3 and out with an up-tempo its like the D never got off the field.

We're going 3 and out regardless. Why not take risks if that's what you expect?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• I agree. Other teams used the hurry up today and had some success with it.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:It always works when we run it, why not do it all game?

Because that's "common sense" and "common sense" is a foreign concept to our craptastic offensive coaching staff.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Agreed.

Commit to the uptempo spread offense now. They have the depth on defense to do this. They are rotating DL and keeping them fresh.

Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham, Carson, Procise and most importantly, your QB, are all PERFECT for running the spread at a very uptempo pace.

It's the only thing that is going to help this line.

Quit fighting it. Become who you ARE instead of trying to recreate who you WERE.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:I agree. Other teams used the hurry up today and had some success with it.

I'd agree, but not against Elite QB's like Rodgers.

Even if your up tempo offense can move the chains or score, it means you're giving Rodgers more series on the flip side..........and that's a bad idea if your scheming. Also doesn't guarantee moving the chains or scoring, just ask Chip Kelly.

But yes, in general when our offense is struggling, which it ALWAYS seems to do in first halves. Why not go up tempo? Sure as hell can't hurt.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I agree. Other teams used the hurry up today and had some success with it.

Even if your up tempo offense can move the chains or score, it means you're giving Rodgers more series on the flip side..........and that's a bad idea if your scheming. Also doesn't guarantee moving the chains or scoring, just ask Chip Kelly.

But yes, in general when our offense is struggling, which it ALWAYS seems to do in first halves. Why not go up tempo? Sure as hell can't hurt.

I think our uptempo offense is the only effective offense. You can't turn away efficacy when the perceived downside is identical to your current and active SOP.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I agree. Other teams used the hurry up today and had some success with it.

I think our uptempo offense is the only effective offense. You can't turn away efficacy when the perceived downside is identical to your current and active SOP.

This is the NFL, you lose that efficiency when you do anything all the time.

So IMO it's misleading to think we'd be super efficient if we ran up tempo all the time.

Even GREAT up tempo QB's like Brady and Rodgers don't do it all the time, they mix it up. That's the only way to be a successful efficient offense, keep the defense guessing and on their toes.

So yeah I'm down with going up tempo more often than we do, but if anyone thinks that solves all our problems on offense, they're not looking at the big picture of what's going on here.........which is it's impossible to have a successful offense when your line is getting blown off the ball 80% of the time.

No offense can survive that kind of deficiency.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Our D would literally be out there with IV's still hooked to them if we ran a hurry up with this O Line
    xStickybudz
    NET Starter

• Again, even marginal efficiency with uptempo is preferable based on efficacy. Im not saying it would hold up if used all the time and it shouldnt be but if we dont have any reason to avoid quick scores and instead choose a harder path if we are up by 3 points or less.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:Again, even marginal efficiency with uptempo is preferable based on efficacy. Im not saying it would hold up if used all the time and it shouldnt be but if we dont have any reason to avoid quick scores and instead choose a harder path if we are up by 3 points or less.

Sounds like we're saying the same thing. *high five*

Problem is Pete's stubborn, he even said this morning that going up tempo more was a non-starter.

He wants to go back to the glory days of a nasty D and Lynch hammering on teams for four quarters. Problem is Lynch isn't here, and our O-line is nowhere near capable enough to provide the consistency to achieve that scheme.

So we're probably gonna struggle for half a season doing that unsuccessfully until either Pete takes the reigns off Russell or all our RB's get killed and we have no choice.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:Problem is Pete's stubborn, he even said this morning that going up tempo more was a non-starter.

Then I agree with the thread that we should consider letting him go

That is just plain dumb. I am not for doing it all game, but doing it more - absolutely.

Wanting to go back to just running the ball more - stupid

Move the ball forward by not being so predictable is the key to winning for this team
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• If you're game plan is to run 60% and pass 40% all the time, regardless of opponent and circumstances, you've already lost. I've seen it, though. We force our shitty game plan all the way til the end of the 3rd quarter sometimes. At that point, a Jimmy Graham drop or holding penalty can be the difference in the game. We need to go for blood. Get the lead, THEN sit on it. Not force a shitty square peg into a round hole.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• You don't do this against an offense like GB's at their house. They already doubled out TOP and had 23 more plays than we did.

Go ahead and run the hurry up and stall a few drives, then see how long the defense is out there.

Do we need to run it more often ? Yes, and at random times, like say, the 1st possession of the game. Times when they don't expect it and you catch them with their pants down. Run it all game ? No. Just no.

I'd like to see some up tempo stuff. Get up to the line really quickly, then sit there and milk clock and let Russ survey the defense. I could get into that for most or all of a game.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• A comment I heard on the radio today that one reason the Hurry Up works is they call quicker developing pass plays. You can also do that when you huddle up. Seen may comments here about calling plays that the players you have can execute and you can do that while huddling as easily as when doing the hurry up. So play selection is probably as important as over all tempo.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• StoneCold wrote:A comment I heard on the radio today that one reason the Hurry Up works is they call quicker developing pass plays. You can also do that when you huddle up. Seen may comments here about calling plays that the players you have can execute and you can do that while huddling as easily as when doing the hurry up. So play selection is probably as important as over all tempo.

Millen talked for a good 15 minutes about this morning, I know Hugh talked ad nauseum, shocking.

Up tempo has pros and cons.

Pros is obviously keeps the defense on it's heels, unable to sub and plain vanilla. Cons is it restricts which plays you can run, might also result in a quicker 3 and out and your defense back on the field in two minutes exhausted.

Having said all this, I do think Russell is suited better for up tempo. When he's "really on" as Pete likes to say, he's up tempo, in rhythm and confident throwing on time.

So yeah, lets do it more than we do, but all the time? Nope, it's not good to run any sort of offense all the time........just ask Chip Kelly.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Carroll mentioned the other day that hurry up might be used more against those teams that have marginal QBs.
    12thbrah
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:A comment I heard on the radio today that one reason the Hurry Up works is they call quicker developing pass plays. You can also do that when you huddle up. Seen may comments here about calling plays that the players you have can execute and you can do that while huddling as easily as when doing the hurry up. So play selection is probably as important as over all tempo.

Millen talked for a good 15 minutes about this morning, I know Hugh talked ad nauseum, shocking.

Up tempo has pros and cons.

Pros is obviously keeps the defense on it's heels, unable to sub and plain vanilla. Cons is it restricts which plays you can run, might also result in a quicker 3 and out and your defense back on the field in two minutes exhausted.

Having said all this, I do think Russell is suited better for up tempo. When he's "really on" as Pete likes to say, he's up tempo, in rhythm and confident throwing on time.

So yeah, lets do it more than we do, but all the time? Nope, it's not good to run any sort of offense all the time........just ask Chip Kelly.

Not sure your replying so much to me, as I don't want them to run up tempo any more than they do. I would like to see the quick short passing game, that is a part of the Hurry Up, used when they're not hurrying.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• It's also worth pointing out that what works at the end of the half wouldn't necessarily work in the middle of the third quarter. At the end of the half, defenses are playing back (prevent defense) in expectation of desperation deep plays. That leaves more room underneath for successful plays, so a lot of offenses will suddenly look better right at the end of the half. In the third quarter, the defense rolls closer to the line and you're not going to have that kind of room.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• We would be better going to a power run scheme with drive blocking and the I formation to take advantage of the size of our guys.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• All I know is, what were doing now isn't working and we've been doing it for the last two years on offense. Lynch isn't here anymore and we don't have the line, so nows the time to adapt just like you do with anything in life.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• If we get the ball first then we should start the game with a fast tempo on our first drive.
    rcaido
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information