Why don't we run the hurry up all game?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Our defense is already gassed with a slow offense, if we go 3 and out with an up-tempo its like the D never got off the field.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Essentially, we have to do this. Normal tempo doesn't even change total top because it never gets first downs. O line so bad we have to move fast to accomplish anything positive. We will likely see a shift. RW seems all in on it, too

cymatica

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2xey8ujc said:
Our defense is already gassed with a slow offense, if we go 3 and out with an up-tempo its like the D never got off the field.

D was on the field 40 minutes, I don't know if Chip Kelly did that on his worse games. Even if you get a few quick 3 and outs the first downs make up for it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
2 or 3 times a half would be worth a try. If not stick to the other stuff that is not working.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Have to try something different and Wilson generally thrives and gets in a rhythm with hurry-up. The D certainly couldn't be on the field any more than they were today and often last year.

mrt144

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1okqoqqd said:

We're going 3 and out regardless. Why not take risks if that's what you expect?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3f2peo07 said:
It always works when we run it, why not do it all game?
Because that's "common sense" and "common sense" is a foreign concept to our craptastic offensive coaching staff.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Agreed.

Commit to the uptempo spread offense now. They have the depth on defense to do this. They are rotating DL and keeping them fresh.

Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham, Carson, Procise and most importantly, your QB, are all PERFECT for running the spread at a very uptempo pace.

It's the only thing that is going to help this line.

Quit fighting it. Become who you ARE instead of trying to recreate who you WERE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":3uaeod73 said:
I agree. Other teams used the hurry up today and had some success with it.

I'd agree, but not against Elite QB's like Rodgers.

Even if your up tempo offense can move the chains or score, it means you're giving Rodgers more series on the flip side..........and that's a bad idea if your scheming. Also doesn't guarantee moving the chains or scoring, just ask Chip Kelly.

But yes, in general when our offense is struggling, which it ALWAYS seems to do in first halves. Why not go up tempo? Sure as hell can't hurt.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":noxqpaig said:
ivotuk":noxqpaig said:

Even if your up tempo offense can move the chains or score, it means you're giving Rodgers more series on the flip side..........and that's a bad idea if your scheming. Also doesn't guarantee moving the chains or scoring, just ask Chip Kelly.

But yes, in general when our offense is struggling, which it ALWAYS seems to do in first halves. Why not go up tempo? Sure as hell can't hurt.

I think our uptempo offense is the only effective offense. You can't turn away efficacy when the perceived downside is identical to your current and active SOP.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":2gutcunp said:
Sgt. Largent":2gutcunp said:
ivotuk":2gutcunp said:

I think our uptempo offense is the only effective offense. You can't turn away efficacy when the perceived downside is identical to your current and active SOP.

This is the NFL, you lose that efficiency when you do anything all the time.

So IMO it's misleading to think we'd be super efficient if we ran up tempo all the time.

Even GREAT up tempo QB's like Brady and Rodgers don't do it all the time, they mix it up. That's the only way to be a successful efficient offense, keep the defense guessing and on their toes.

So yeah I'm down with going up tempo more often than we do, but if anyone thinks that solves all our problems on offense, they're not looking at the big picture of what's going on here.........which is it's impossible to have a successful offense when your line is getting blown off the ball 80% of the time.

No offense can survive that kind of deficiency.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Our D would literally be out there with IV's still hooked to them if we ran a hurry up with this O Line

mrt144

Reaction score
Again, even marginal efficiency with uptempo is preferable based on efficacy. Im not saying it would hold up if used all the time and it shouldnt be but if we dont have any reason to avoid quick scores and instead choose a harder path if we are up by 3 points or less.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":2f457unc said:
Again, even marginal efficiency with uptempo is preferable based on efficacy. Im not saying it would hold up if used all the time and it shouldnt be but if we dont have any reason to avoid quick scores and instead choose a harder path if we are up by 3 points or less.

Sounds like we're saying the same thing. *high five*

Problem is Pete's stubborn, he even said this morning that going up tempo more was a non-starter.

He wants to go back to the glory days of a nasty D and Lynch hammering on teams for four quarters. Problem is Lynch isn't here, and our O-line is nowhere near capable enough to provide the consistency to achieve that scheme.

So we're probably gonna struggle for half a season doing that unsuccessfully until either Pete takes the reigns off Russell or all our RB's get killed and we have no choice.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6wf09v4a said:
mrt144":6wf09v4a said:
Problem is Pete's stubborn, he even said this morning that going up tempo more was a non-starter.

Then I agree with the thread that we should consider letting him go

That is just plain dumb. I am not for doing it all game, but doing it more - absolutely.

Wanting to go back to just running the ball more - stupid

Move the ball forward by not being so predictable is the key to winning for this team

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
If you're game plan is to run 60% and pass 40% all the time, regardless of opponent and circumstances, you've already lost. I've seen it, though. We force our shitty game plan all the way til the end of the 3rd quarter sometimes. At that point, a Jimmy Graham drop or holding penalty can be the difference in the game. We need to go for blood. Get the lead, THEN sit on it. Not force a shitty square peg into a round hole.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You don't do this against an offense like GB's at their house. They already doubled out TOP and had 23 more plays than we did.

Go ahead and run the hurry up and stall a few drives, then see how long the defense is out there.

Do we need to run it more often ? Yes, and at random times, like say, the 1st possession of the game. Times when they don't expect it and you catch them with their pants down. Run it all game ? No. Just no.

I'd like to see some up tempo stuff. Get up to the line really quickly, then sit there and milk clock and let Russ survey the defense. I could get into that for most or all of a game.

StoneCold

Reaction score
A comment I heard on the radio today that one reason the Hurry Up works is they call quicker developing pass plays. You can also do that when you huddle up. Seen may comments here about calling plays that the players you have can execute and you can do that while huddling as easily as when doing the hurry up. So play selection is probably as important as over all tempo.