Observations

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
-- Without having the knowledge of what precisely occurred on every offensive play from an X's and O's standpoint, it sure seems like our Offensive Line was absolutely manhandled all game. The tackles were horrible. How much of that was the Packers impressive performance versus just how bad we are on the line we will soon find out. Regardless, the Packers game plan was endlessly attacking from start to finish and we were clearly ill prepared for it.

-- Forget the lack of protection for a moment. Hard to do I know, but Russell Wilson just seemed to lack that magic spark he's been known for. Making plays out of nothing was his M.O. Today, he just looked ill-equiped to deal with the pressure. I found the lack of a fast tempo offense through much of the game perplexing. No read options? At all? It could all come down to the OL but even still I expected to see some Russ Magic today.

-- Our defense is exactly what we thought they were. Frustrating Rodgers for most of the game. The large chunks of yards given up could be directly correlated to being gassed since our offense couldn't sustain long drives for most of the game. Not worried about them in the least. May even end up being the #1 defense again this year.

-- Is it just me or do you also want to punch the TV every time they show Rodgers smug smiles in slow motion as they go to commercial breaks? Is there a more arrogant, smug QB in the NFL? My favorite moment in the game came after the Naz Pick 6 That Never Was But Should Have Been, as he thew his helmet down on the bench.

-- Speaking of, I think this is the worst one-sided officiating I have seen in a Seahawks game since XL*. Absolutely atrocious. My friend, not a big football fan even texted me after the game: "Looks like the refs accepted money from the Packers before the game." Kidding? Maybe so, but the calls, and lacktherof, were entirely disturbing.

-- If a player is ejected, that is the worst possible thing that can happen during a game (not including injury). Since there was no evidence on the replay that Lane punched the player, the league should allow ejections to be challenged. Now the fact that Lane was getting OWNED before the ejection is besides the point. He should have been able to challenge his ejection with a replay.

-- I predict the Seahawks will do what they always do. Start off slow, make fans nervous, and build momentum as the season progresses. Still see us 11-5/10-6 winning the division. But today's loss could potentially be the difference of HFA or going on the road in the playoffs...Again.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Aros":3o70r3f4 said:
-- Without having the knowledge of what precisely occurred on every offensive play from an X's and O's standpoint, it sure seems like our Offensive Line was absolutely manhandled all game. The tackles were horrible. How much of that was the Packers impressive performance versus just how bad we are on the line we will soon find out. Regardless, the Packers game plan was endlessly attacking from start to finish and we were clearly ill prepared for it.

-- Forget the lack of protection for a moment. Hard to do I know, but Russell Wilson just seemed to lack that magic spark he's been known for. Making plays out of nothing was his M.O. Today, he just looked ill-equiped to deal with the pressure. I found the lack of a fast tempo offense through much of the game perplexing. No read options? At all? It could all come down to the OL but even still I expected to see some Russ Magic today.

-- Our defense is exactly what we thought they were. Frustrating Rodgers for most of the game. The large chunks of yards given up could be directly correlated to being gassed since our offense couldn't sustain long drives for most of the game. Not worried about them in the least. May even end up being the #1 defense again this year.

-- Is it just me or do you also want to punch the TV every time they show Rodgers smug smiles in slow motion as they go to commercial breaks? Is there a more arrogant, smug QB in the NFL? My favorite moment in the game came after the Naz Pick 6 That Never Was But Should Have Been, as he through his helmet down on the bench.

-- Speaking of, I think this is the worst one-sided officiating I have seen in a Seahawks game since XL*. Absolutely atrocious. My friend, not a big football fan even texted me after the game: "Looks like the refs accepted money from the Packers before the game." Kidding? Maybe so, but the calls, and lacktherof, were entirely disturbing.

-- If a player is ejected, that is the worst possible thing that can happen during a game (not including injury). Since there was no evidence on the replay that Lane punched the player, the league should allow ejections to be challenged. Now the fact that Lane was getting OWNED before the ejection is besides the point. He should have been able to challenge his ejection with a replay.

-- I predict the Seahawks will do what they always do. Start off slow, make fans nervous, and build momentum as the season progresses. Still see us 11-5/10-6 winning the division. But today's loss could potentially be the difference of HFA or going on the road in the playoffs...Again.

Nice, I pretty much agree, To me the issue on offense starts and stops with Oline, I mean there was some magic with Rw but with this oline even that is not enough. Also I think the refusal to go uptempo except twice was stupid. in 2015 Rw went on an historic run with uptmepo but for some reasons our coaches say hey that worked we cant do it what worked.

chris98251

Reaction score
Short and sweet, when you have 4 of 5 offensive lineman playing along side new people or in a different position, some seeing things for the first time from their assignments perspective were going to have issues, this is the bigger problem of lack of continuity. O line play off each other and trust each other to pick up assignments and hand off blocks. That just doesn't happen with a hand full of games together and piece work game time. This will be painful for about 5 more weeks till some of that continuity begins to happen.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
chris98251":3e55kdoq said:
Short and sweet, when you have 4 of 5 offensive lineman playing along side new people or in a different position, some seeing things for the first time from their assignments perspective were going to have issues, this is the bigger problem of lack of continuity. O line play off each other and trust each other to pick up assignments and hand off blocks. That just doesn't happen with a hand full of games together and piece work game time. This will be painful for about 5 more weeks till some of that continuity begins to happen.

Doubt it. Didn't happen the last 2 years, IMO.

cymatica

Reaction score
chris98251":1tts8m7z said:

We've heard that tired excuse several years now. No line repeatedly looks this bad year in and out and somehow gets better without a coaching change

hawk45

Reaction score
We can't play guys together for a stretch when the guys we are selecting in the first place are nowak, Gilliam, etc.
It's not about letting 5 turds start together. It's about not picking and coaching turds so that what we have out there is worth keeping together.

chris98251

Reaction score
You condemn it yet add to the argument with the line has not played together for the last 5 years with the same people in the majority of rolls, therefore no continuity. We have drafted a lot of bodies to play and keep rotating them on and off the team or in different positions, you don't need number one picks across the board but good technique and continuity. This is what has been plaguing us a lot.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, you should be able to start a season with some level of OL effectiveness. Needing to get 4+ games to get ready after the 1st game is an indictment of the decision process with the OL.

That falls on the OL coach, but ultimately it falls on the HC and GM for accepting the substandard results repeatedly.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
When Russ doesn't have "magic" to fix our broken offensive game plan, it shows that yes, we have a horrible offensive gameplan.

We know we have a cheap line, but in order to keep the core of our offense and defense together, we had to pay them. Sure, they could be coached better, but they are still cheap or freshly drafted guys. The money isn't there to go buy a line.

What that means is we need to strategize and come into games with a game plan suited to a line that for the most part can't provide protection for long developing plays. Tons of teams do this. The Patriots constantly hit hot routes all the way up the field 5 yards at a time.

Bevell doesn't do this. He develops gameplans to try to maximize explosive plays. He doesn't take into account that we don't have OL personnel to carry that out. That is why we are constantly going 3 and out.

Take 2 receivers, spread them out wide and run their routes fast and deep to make sure and draw the corners and free safety. Run 2 TE for the hot routes both in and out routes, bit short and horizontal. RB in the backfield for either the run play or to provide addl protection. The RB can also release late when he sees a hole.

Watch the teams that are good at moving the chains and this is what they do. It forces LB'S to have to pay attention to the short pass, which then takes the pressure off the line and running plays.

It is maddening that an OC Maki g big money with tons of talent to work with can't seem to grasp this.

It is EXACTLY what we did the last half of 2015 to finally start getting W's, but has been abandoned since.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
johnnyfever":34xou2h4 said:
When Russ doesn't have "magic" to fix our broken offensive game plan, it shows that yes, we have a horrible offensive gameplan.

We know we have a cheap line, but in order to keep the core of our offense and defense together, we had to pay them. Sure, they could be coached better, but they are still cheap or freshly drafted guys. The money isn't there to go buy a line.

What that means is we need to strategize and come into games with a game plan suited to a line that for the most part can't provide protection for long developing plays. Tons of teams do this. The Patriots constantly hit hot routes all the way up the field 5 yards at a time.

Bevell doesn't do this. He develops gameplans to try to maximize explosive plays. He doesn't take into account that we don't have OL personnel to carry that out. That is why we are constantly going 3 and out.

Take 2 receivers, spread them out wide and run their routes fast and deep to make sure and draw the corners and free safety. Run 2 TE for the hot routes both in and out routes, bit short and horizontal. RB in the backfield for either the run play or to provide addl protection. The RB can also release late when he sees a hole.

Watch the teams that are good at moving the chains and this is what they do. It forces LB'S to have to pay attention to the short pass, which then takes the pressure off the line and running plays.

It is maddening that an OC Maki g big money with tons of talent to work with can't seem to grasp this.

It is EXACTLY what we did the last half of 2015 to finally start getting W's, but has been abandoned since.

Awesome post. Totally agree.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I am just a little surprised that people were surprised with the Offense's performance. After observing the offensive line in pre-season and seeing who the starters were for this game, they performed EXACTLY how I expected. I know some of the local radio personalities thought Odhiambo and Ifedi performed fine in pre-season.

I did not.

There is a lot of draft capital wrapped up in those two guys and, as of right now, they're just not good. They haven't looked good and I think a lot of what people saw in pre-season was a sort of 'seeing-what-you-want-to-see' type of thing. This O-Line has been garbage the past 3 years. I am hopeful that they can gel, but quite frankly they look just like they did last year, which was not good.

Fingers crossed, but not a good start.

Overall, I think the defense did well holding Green Bay to 17 points. I've also thought all pre-season that Naz Jones was the best draft choice for us and a real steal. He's going to be good.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
So were the Packers Defense that good?
Not only against our OL, but when Wilson had time, it just seemed he couldn't find very man receivers open. There was some catches, sure, but still they appeared from what I can remember, just about all contested.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Bobblehead":4byre0ms said:
Not only against our OL, but when Wilson had time, it just seemed he couldn't find very man receivers open. There was some catches, sure, but still they appeared from what I can remember, just about all contested.

No, you will see the Packers get lit up this year. Our problem was, yes, the offensive line first and foremost. But secondarily, we don't have receivers, other than Doug Baldwin, who can achieve separation and get open. Neither Richardson nor Graham do that very well, in my opinion.

On a plus side, both Graham and Richardson seem to catch well in traffic, which is good cause they don't achieve separation very well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
johnnyfever":9zogv5vj said:

2 THINGS

1 we move the best in uptempo period that is what we should be doing
2 most of our money goes to defense, to the tune of 28 mil more. Not to say they should not or should just saying let's not make the excuse because we have our QB, 1 Wr and a Te making decent money we can't pay more for oline. Point in case the offense gets Jockel, a nver was, the defense gets Richardson a pro bowler.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":21i334tb said:

Wilson was pressured, hit or sacked on 70% of his attempts that says it all

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I thought the play of Shaq Griffin was a real positive. Last rookie corner I saw play at that level in his first game was Richard Sherman. And I recall saying to my season ticket holding brethren in 306 that "Hey look like got ourselves a keeper at CB finally" So I'm pleased with that.

Just hope the friendly confines of Clink will help the offence next week.

cymatica

Reaction score
This game 100% proved the officials will attempt to steer a game to a predetermined outcome for reasons unknown. There is no way that level of incompetence that we observed was by accident, and if it was, you don't deserve a job in such a prestigious position.

At least become better at disguising the bias so it doesn't ruin the game

Atradees

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren would run max protect schemes when the line was breaking down. Need to throw to running back, slants.........it's not rocket science.

I like our dine stunts and performance Richardson made a lot of difference.

This is not a Superbowl team. The defense could be awesome. Lots of good new peices. Colman and Shaq rocked.

The Packers lost players on their line. Baluga was out too. Yet aaron made plays. This team wasn't prepared well. Wilson needs to get the ball out fast. If he does it opens the run game. Backs didn't have a prayer.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Atradees":357nrmqp said:
Mike Holmgren would run max protect schemes when the line was breaking down. Need to throw to running back, slants.........it's not rocket science.

I like our dine stunts and performance Richardson made a lot of difference.

This is not a Superbowl team. The defense could be awesome. Lots of good new peices. Colman and Shaq rocked.

You hit on a great point. Our play calling does not take into account the kinds of players who are on the field.
It's weird, as if we can't adjust to our strengths and weaknesses.

If things don't improve our defense is going to blow up at some point and I wouldn't blame them one bit.