Green Bay's DL THAT Good Or Our OL THAT Bad?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's an honest question that I don't think there's a clear answer to. Of course fresh after a loss we are all pissed so we will say and feel things we may not feel several days from now after the harsh reality of the loss has worn off. If I had a dollar for every time I felt differently a few days removed from a loss I could buy a nice airbrush system for my RC aircraft.

Knee jerk is to say OUR OL SUCKS PERIOD END OF STORY!!! And while the tape may suggest as much, I am not so sure that's quite the whole truth. Certainly, we can all agree that the lack of chemistry and time to bond is a MAJOR factor in the way they were pushed around, but what was it about the Packers DL that played THAT impressively for the entire game?

Dom Capers? Incredibly aggressive game planning? I can't believe the Packers DL is as good as they looked today. So that tells me it is on our OL. Perhaps it's as simple as the Packers feasting on the Perfect Storm which was an OL that is clearly in transition and starting backups and players not used to each other. Is that all it was or was the Packers DL really THAT good?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both!

Our OLine was however just awful, if not pressure given up off the ages, it was coming up the middle too. forget run blocking, andpassblocking didn't happen all day.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
OL has been this bad all last season against many, many teams. It's the OL.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
LOL, can't tell if serious? This offensive line is atrocious! Over half a year to prepare for the first game of the season and our superstar QB is sacked on the first play on our first possession. They stink! Players like Britt having a football camp is a complete joke! You play in the league for 2 years and think you're some kind of star? Sorry suckers, the GB D isn't that great. Pete and John need to stop thinking they can skimp on our line, period!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
No, Aros, I've wondered about this, too. What if that D-line goes up against other good lines and makes them look a bit foolish? I'll feel just a tad better.

But that also means our O-line had better look improved against mediocre teams.

All of this is yet to be seen.

Fingers crossed.

AH

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I watch teams moving the ball and scoring on GB all the time. The Falcons will score 30 plus next week, just watch.

For whatever reason, we can't do anything against them. Just look at Wilson's numbers in his last 4 games vs them... 2014 NFCCG and regular season games in 2015, 2016, and today.

Ugly. They have some good players, but we make them look way better than they actually are.

ptisme

Reaction score
Good news: your offense never has to play your defense. That would be really ugly.

OpHawk

Reaction score
The Oline has deteriorated further every consecutive year since our title year. This will be the worst group we have seen yet by seasons end I fear.

What if GB's DL is actually sub-average? What if they suck?

Think about what this could look like if one or two of the current starters misses significant time.

We could be in for a truly catastrophic season up front.

Foghawk

Reaction score
ptisme":194i0eg9 said:
Good news: your offense never has to play your defense. That would be really ugly.

Wilson would be carted off the field, unfortunately. :|

cymatica

Reaction score
It's our line. See Tampa game last year. See every ram game. See every game with a top 15 line

ptisme

Reaction score
Foghawk":3sa616hc said:
ptisme":3sa616hc said:

Wilson would be carted off the field, unfortunately. :|
I couldn't even imagine

OpHawk

Reaction score
cymatica":2r18qjjd said:
It's our line. See Tampa game last year. See every ram game. See every game with a top 15 line

The Tampa game last year is when I said to myself that we weren't a contender for the title. The way they ran through our oline was damning.

This game today looked a lot like that at times.

mrt144

Reaction score
Bookmark my post folks:

If our O line looks bad it's because it is bad. If an opposing D line looks good its because our OL is bad. If an opposing D line looks bad, its because they are bad. The only way for the O line to rise above this heuristic is to consistently do well against all opponents, good and bad.

getnasty

Reaction score
I believe the Packers were 6th in the league last year in sack so there DL is a good one. At the same time our OL is horrible.

kf3339

Reaction score
I saw their d-line individual players bull rush our O-line players one on one and win all game long. Is that because they're that good, or are just that bad. Hard to say anymore.

If I had to guess I would say we are just that bad. It just really sucks to watch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
kf3339":30114vgv said:
I saw their d-line individual players bull rush our O-line players one on one and win all game long. Is that because they're that good, or are just that bad. Hard to say anymore.

If I had to guess I would say we are just that bad. It just really sucks to watch.

Did we slow them down?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Our o-line is not good enough to let Russ sit in the pocket and wait for plays to develop. We need to dink and dunk like most teams do to handle pressure. Too much emphasis on getting those "explosive plays" when all the offense needs to do at minimum is get a few first downs to give the defense a break. The Pack had a 2-1 advantage in time of possession. Any defense no matter how great will get exposed being on the field that long.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Unfortunately, our OL is just that bad. It would be nice if the Packer DL was good, because it would mean maybe we could compete with other decent DL. Watch the playoff games against DAL and ATL. The Packers line was getting close to no pressure on Dak or Matty Ice. Honestly, seeing how thoroughly they worked us over, I can see damn near half the DL we play wrecking our line and gameplan.

JAX, LA x2, ARI x2, NYG, HOU, PHI.... that's eight freaking games against DL that I would consider better than the Packers' .... shoot, by the time we play them, I'd say ATL would be better as well. I know that last year it was a Jekyll and Hyde, and the line played well against PHI and somewhat against BUF but damn. The freaking Jags got 10 sacks today against a Houston OL I would say is marginally better than ours without Duane Brown.... and that was in Houston! We have to travel there for a 10am game. :(