Too late to scrap the ZBS?

Hendo66

Reaction score
Not even sure if its possible but at this point why not try to transition the blocking scheme?

It isn't working, hasn't worked for a while. The OL performance is unbelievable, from one side to the other.

If this unit can't figure it out and at least get in front of somebody then simplify the scheme and call plays accordingly.

Something has to give with this recurring nightmare. Do something.

#Pete
#Bevell
#Cable

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I get the frustration but zone blocking is the best way to utilize intelligent linemen who lack overwhelming size and power against huge defensive athletic freaks on defense. Our linemen are not that brilliant but they are sure as hell not powerful. So careful what you wish for.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yes it's too late. And if we were to do that, it would probably take upwards of two, more likely three seasons to collect a group of gap scheme blockers. Different skill set. Different athletic profiles.

Also not guaranteed to be better at pass pro. ZBS has to do with running play schemes.

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
"Also not guaranteed to be better at pass pro. ZBS has to do with running play schemes."

Pass pro can't get any worse and run blocking is atrocious as well.

Any kind of change/variation couldn't be any worse.......

Boycie

Reaction score
How do you do that once the season has started?

Its the same thing with Bevell. Everyone is calling for his head, but how do you fire the OC once the season starts?

They cannot just switch offensive schemes in one week can they?

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
Get on the practice field and make some tweaks. I get it, it's not a good situation.

Or they can just keep doing the same thing. Oh wait.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I mean I'll take anything at this point, cuz our star QB is gonna be in a wheel chair if this keeps up

Mojambo

Reaction score
Earliest it's possible is next year. They did implement more power looks as the year went on last year though.

Frankly, I think they should just go uptempo, no huddle spread offense. It's what Russell wants and it's what fits their skill position personnel.

I'm not as worried that it will wind the defense given their current level of depth. Check those DL snap counts.

GO UPTEMPO SPREAD NOW.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":21oxhjc4 said:
How do you do that once the season has started?

Its the same thing with Bevell. Everyone is calling for his head, but how do you fire the OC once the season starts?

They cannot just switch offensive schemes in one week can they?

The Ravens switched their OC in a season (Fired Cameron and replaced him with Jim Caldwell) and ended up winning the Superbowl. It was 2012-13 season. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732341/baltimore-ravens-fire-cam-cameron-tab-jim-caldwell

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Zone Blocking works fine if you have a back like Carson who's fast and physical and can plant his foot and hit the cutback hole fast............oh wait we do.

So yeah, let's waste another 15 plays on Lacy a game who can't even get to the line of scrimmage before being destroyed by all 4-5 defensive lineman.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Just let out guys line up and try to hit the man in front of them.

edogg23

Reaction score
Last year I believe it was week 16 we pretty much abandoned the ZBS for a much simpler plan and the O-Line looked the best it had all year. Of course the coaches denied this but it was obvious to anyone watching the tape that the blocking scheme was different that week.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent said:
Zone Blocking works fine if you have a back like Carson who's fast and physical and can plant his foot and hit the cutback hole fast............oh wait we do.

Totally agree on Carson, I think he fits the mold perfectly for the ZBS. If our line can improve and get some push he's gonna look awesome this year... that's a big IF though... :|

sprhawk73

Reaction score
RW should roll out on every play. When (for a short time) that we had an oline he could stand in the pocket and pass but now is not that time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
edogg23":1qbqx184 said:
Last year I believe it was week 16 we pretty much abandoned the ZBS for a much simpler plan and the O-Line looked the best it had all year. Of course the coaches denied this but it was obvious to anyone watching the tape that the blocking scheme was different that week.

It was against the Lions in the playoffs. We still didn't abandon the zone blocking scheme, just mixed in some smash mouth run blocking that game.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3542xcem said:

So yeah, let's waste another 15 plays on Lacy a game who can't even get to the line of scrimmage before being destroyed by all 4-5 defensive lineman.

So you're asking them to use Lacy twice as much. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut when Rawls gets back tbh.