Lots of easy matchups for our defense on the schedule

Erebus

Reaction score
I know it's early, but we just played the toughest offense we'll face all year, and still only gave up 17 points. The addition of Sheldon Richardson and what looks like the emergence of a couple good DBs in Griffin and maybe Coleman means we just might be better than 2013, or at least on par. We have a lot of bad QBs and/or offensive lines on the schedule. Barring injuries, I think we could set an NFL record for fewest points per game allowed. Here's our schedule, with commentary:

Week 2 vs SF - If they can score 3 at home vs Carolina, I think we have a good chance at a shutout in the CLink. I'd be surprised if they score a TD.

Week 3 @ TEN - They have a pretty good offense, but the Raiders had no problem holding them to just 16 points. They could surprise us and score 30 (especially if its hot), or put up a stinker and score 10. They have a good o-line.

Week 4 vs IND - If Luck is still out, I don't know how they can score, especially considering its a prime time game. Their defense certainly isn't going to score for them either.

Week 5 @ LAR - I don't know what to expect from Goff this year, but his good performance yesterday was probably just a byproduct of Indy's weak defense. They won't score more than GB did against us.

Week 6 - Bye

Week 7 @ NYG - Their offense looks as potent as ours right now, albeit without OBJ. He'll definitely be back by this game, probably even next week. We shut them out last time we played them in NJ, but they have better receivers now and a defense that will probably give them some short fields.

Week 8 vs HOU - Another possible shutout. Their o-line might be worse than ours, and they don't have a QB. Their points might all be scored by their defense.

Week 9 vs WAS - They'll put up some points, probably 13-20.

Week 10 @ ARI - If David Johnson is still out (not sure when he'd be eligible to return if placed on IR), and Palmer is still playing like he's 50, they won't score much.

Week 11 vs ATL - The Falcons are our next big challenge. Fortunately we get them at home in prime time. I hope Sheldon Richardson makes a big impact against them. Griffin will have 10 games of experience by this point, which could be very helpful.

Week 12 @ SF - Again, not much of a challenge. Might score a few more points in Santa Clara than they do at the CLink, but probably not more than 10.

Week 13 vs PHI - Moderate challenge, similar to Redskins.

Week 14 @ JAX - Bortles is still garbage, but they do have a pass rush now that might lead to a couple short fields and thus some field goals or fluky TDs.

Week 15 vs LAR - Could score anywhere between 0 and 20, but we've held them to under 10 points in 3 of the last 4 home games against them.

Week 16 @ DAL - Only our third real challenge of the year.

Week 17 vs ARI - Carson Palmer might be retired by now.

By my count, that is 3 actual challenges, 5-7 games with a moderate-to-legitimate chance at a shutout, and the rest are against teams that could easily score anywhere between 6 and 24 points. There are a few teams on the schedule who's defense might actually outscore their offense.

Mizak

Reaction score
They always play horrible in October, though.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The defense will be solid all year, but you cannot count on them scoring to win. The offense needs to put up points

adeltaY

Reaction score
How are we going to move the ball vs the Giants? With Odell back, they just need one big play from him to win, similar to the game last year when they hosted Dallas, which has a much better offense than we do. Also, that game, Eli was horrible and had two picks and two strip sacks or something crazy like that and they still won.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Pretty cool to think about, I think we'll be right back to the #1 scoring defense this year. Also, this definitely makes me feel better about our season going forward after a pretty depressing game yesterday. Thanks for the thread OP.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
adeltaY":fxs6582t said:
How are we going to move the ball vs the Giants? With Odell back, they just need one big play from him to win, similar to the game last year when they hosted Dallas, which has a much better offense than we do. Also, that game, Eli was horrible and had two picks and two strip sacks or something crazy like that and they still won.

No idea, but the topic of the thread is how few points the defense could allow this year. Has nothing to do with the offense, aside from the fact that they may gift opposing teams some defensive points.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Just think about what those defenders are thinking to themselves when they watch tape on Seattles offense.... licking their chops.

Cc5674

Reaction score
Blair Walsh will be league MVP averaging 3 field goals a game