Does Coach Kris Richard ever Blitz?

RW92

Reaction score
There were a few key 3rd and longs yesterday when I felt that a safety blitz by Kam or even Garvin off the edge could
have turned this game in our favor. Coach Richard at times relies too much on zone coverage, plays soft and doesn't put the talent he has in attack mode on 3rd and passing situations to get his guys off the field. You can't just sit back and play soft.
He does it too many times and it hurts our efforts. My question is why doesn't he blitz more on key downs? I feel that our D-backs will be able to cover while you don't allow Rodgers to sit back there and either run or hit the open man.

Seafan

Reaction score
He picks his moments to blitz. Certain QBs you just don't blitz. He's more likely to dial up a blitz next week.

The defense and coaches made one huge mistake in the game and RW and the OC made another huge mistake in the game and they cost the Hawks 14 points otherwise the defense did an outstanding job on AR and the Packers. The refs made some mistakes along with Avril and Lane that cost the Hawks 10 points. The chance to win the game was there and real despite the play of the OL.

I wouldn't be that smug about that win if I were the Packers.

Back to your question. If it just didn't look like the Hawks were attacking Rodgers yesterday it's because they weren't.

Most of those sacks were coverage sacks. The plan obviously was to squeeze the pocket but contain AR and not give him any weak spots in the defense by gambling. He's an expert at picking apart blitzing defenses.

If these guys stay healthy this is going to be one tough defense this year. I was really impressed by the secondary.

It will be fun for fans when less astute QBs are in the Clink and the occasional Wagner blitz occurs but with that front four I have a feeling the Hawks won't need to blitz to get a lot of sacks.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I think Rogers completes about 99% of what he got on Sunday if the Hawks blitzed every dropback.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Seafan":1zdngnaz said:
He picks his moments to blitz. Certain QBs you just don't blitz. He's more likely to dial up a blitz next week.

The defense and coaches made one huge mistake in the game and RW and the OC made another huge mistake in the game and they cost the Hawks 14 points otherwise the defense did an outstanding job on AR and the Packers. The refs made some mistakes along with Avril and Lane that cost the Hawks 10 points. The chance to win the game was there and real despite the play of the OL.

I wouldn't be that smug about that win if I were the Packers.

Back to your question. If it just didn't look like the Hawks were attacking Rodgers yesterday it's because they weren't.

Most of those sacks were coverage sacks. The plan obviously was to squeeze the pocket but contain AR and not give him any weak spots in the defense by gambling. He's an expert at picking apart blitzing defenses.

If these guys stay healthy this is going to be one tough defense this year. I was really impressed by the secondary.

It will be fun for fans when less astute QBs are in the Clink and the occasional Wagner blitz occurs but with that front four I have a feeling the Hawks won't need to blitz to get a lot of sacks.

I am not a Richard fan but this post is spot on.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Really no need to blitz when your four rushers can create pressure by themselves. Luxury of having a great DL. And like most have already said, Rodgers will dissect the blitz.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I watched about 1 and a half quarters yesterday and I saw them send Wagner 3 times.

They'll blitz but Richard has a feel for it. I'm not sure if he has certain parameters like down and distance or if he's instinctual.

Either way he has great instincts.

And yea, you have to be careful with Rodgers.

getnasty

Reaction score
The defense gave up 10 points to a great offense, I hope they don't change a thing.