"It felt like Groundhog Day from 2016"

Seymour

Reaction score
Funny, I posted this exact same comment from Holmgren when asked of his opinion on the 2017 oline prior to the start of the season.

Now here it is again. That is what has people so upset...not just the loss itself.

Well at least Pete made it to step 1 yesterday....admitting the problem. Further than he made it last year up until the end.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...s/seahawks-insider-blog/article172773996.html

The Seahawks tried to help their linemen by keeping tight ends Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson into chip block, sometimes on the same play. They did the same with Carson, fullback Tre Madden, even third-down back C.J. Prosise. Graham didn’t get his $40 million contract that’s ending this season by blocking. Prosise was a wide receiver at Notre Dame until two years ago. That’s how needy the Seahawks were for more blocking.

Problem was, when Seattle kept them in to help the linemen it often left four or as few as three eligible receivers running routes down the field. The six or seven Packers defensive backs and linebackers often didn’t have to be much more than serviceable to effectively cover Seahawks receivers seven on three.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bevell should call better plays where 2-3 WR's against 5-6 DB's can get open.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w0dw0sm said:
God forbid Bevell concentrates on quick routes with chip blocking and a lot of designed bootlegs, or anything else to TRY and counteract our turnstile O-line. If Bevell was trying a lot of stuff to compensate for our crappy O-line, it'd be a different story - BUT HE DOESN'T, and pretending otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Just in case Bevell is reading....

Football 101---The Screen Play
Why the screen?

It is a necessity that every good offensive football team has a diversified screen package to combat today's attacking and blitzing defensive philosophies. Screens are an important element in successful offensive football for several seasons:
1. Screens take advantage of athletic wide receivers and running backs and make defenders tackle in the open field matching the wide receivers and running backs on linebackers and safeties.

2. Screens slow the pass rush and make defensive linemen eye for screens.

3. Screens attack zone blitz teams that give up an underneath zone in pass coverage.

4. Screens give the offense a chance for big plays against man-to-man blitz schemes.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/columns/story?columnist=davie&page=davie10104week5

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":6lx7ve2a said:
Sgt. Largent":6lx7ve2a said:
God forbid Bevell concentrates on quick routes with chip blocking and a lot of designed bootlegs, or anything else to TRY and counteract our turnstile O-line. If Bevell was trying a lot of stuff to compensate for our crappy O-line, it'd be a different story - BUT HE DOESN'T, and pretending otherwise is just sticking your head in the sand.

First play from scrimmage was a quick route with Graham chip blocking the end.

Except Graham forgot to chip, and Russell got sacked.

But yep, it's Bevell's fault.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
There were half a dozen times where Russ didn't even have a chance to get off a screen pass due to the onrush. I'm pretty sure that when it was apparent that our line would continue to get dominated, we brought in double tights to help with keeping Russ upright.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
iigakusei":3ho08ctz said:
Everybody is to blame for this offensive poop show.

Logic and reason have no place here..........I said good day.

I said good day!

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pc1sank said:
iigakusei":1pc1sank said:
Everybody is to blame for this offensive poop show.

Logic and reason have no place here..........I said good day.

Not many people are blaming this all on 1 person that I've seen. I don't think Bev is problem #1 myself, but he sure is part of the problem. There are other Bevell Cable blame threads, this was not just about that. More so about the overall problem, and Pete's outlook on it and possibly what to do.

What to do is the million $$ question at the moment. Keeping Prosise or Graham in to block the Tazmanian Devil we now know is not it.

We've got what we got, and the personnel is not going to change much....so what is next?

Holmgren thought that both guards and Obiombu were the biggest issues, and Ifedi was a bit better but just poor not terrible. Obi should improve faster than others, Joeckel we know is not great against the bull rush and Glow whiffed several times.

Sounds to me like Pocic could help at least a guard, which would mean bringing Hunt back. Worth a try at least against power bull rushers to at least get someone that can get in the way in there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":eq5taag7 said:
Sounds to me like Pocic could help at least a guard, which would mean bringing Hunt back. Worth a try at least against power bull rushers to at least get someone that can get in the way in there.

Not a Hunt fan, but I love me some Pocic.........and it's only a matter of time before he's in there. Believe me, this line is a disaster, Pete will lose patience and do what he always does, shuffle new guys in to see if it gets better. Pocic is #1 with a bullet for first shot. So he will get his chance.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kv18c2h said:
Seymour":3kv18c2h said:

Not a Hunt fan, but I love me some Pocic.........and it's only a matter of time before he's in there. Believe me, this line is a disaster, Pete will lose patience and do what he always does, shuffle new guys in to see if it gets better. Pocic is #1 with a bullet for first shot. So he will get his chance.

You don't need to be a Hunt fan. He is only to backup Britt so that frees up Pocic to actually get used. :2thumbs:

IMO one big miscalculation they made is thinking it was "youth" that was last years main issue. The thinking is year 2 they take a big jump. Well, they didn't (as I prediced several times I might add). The one that took the best jump gets hurt so that is tough luck there. They took a small step forward if at all, and it was the players they selected more than the youth issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":6pw27xlf said:
Sgt. Largent":6pw27xlf said:
Seymour":6pw27xlf said:

You don't need to be a Hunt fan. He is only to backup Britt so that frees up Pocic to actually get used. :2thumbs:

IMO one big miscalculation they made is thinking it was "youth" that was last years main issue. The thinking is year 2 they take a big jump. Well, they didn't (as I prediced several times I might add). The one that took the best jump gets hurt so that is tough luck there. They took a small step forward if at all, and it was the players they selected more than the youth issue.

For as much as I was disgusted Sunday by the O-line play, and I was DISGUSTED...........I'm willing to give Pete and Cable another 3-4 weeks to see if they can right the ship and get these guys to play better.

They've done it before with a healthy Russell. Remember 2015? Line stunk until week 6 or 7, and then we starting running buck wild and became the highest scoring offense in the league.

But yes, if it doesn't look any better in a month against some inferior opponents? It's time to try new dudes.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Another arrogant miscalculation is thinking we can turn another teams trash into our treasure. Take Joeckel for instance. We spend another $1M and get TJ Lang signed first and things are way different. This is no time to screw around with egos and "I can fix him" Cable BS. Take the sure thing, this was a medical emergency treated like a stubbed toe!!

We had enough money under the cusions to pay Richardson when McDowell went down, but not another $1M for Lang??? Your bad Pete. :cry:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":18rqyefb said:
Another arrogant miscalculation is thinking we can turn another teams trash into our treasure. Take Joeckel for instance. We spend another $1M and get TJ Lang signed first and things are way different. This is no time to screw around with egos and "I can fix him" Cable BS. Take the sure thing, this was a medical emergency treated like a stubbed toe!!

We had enough money under the cusions to pay Richardson when McDowell went down, but not another $1M for Lang??? Your bad Pete. :cry:

Maybe, my guess is the Lions would have bumped it up to match, IMO Lang was going there all along cause that's where he and his family are from...........his agent was just using us as leverage, and it worked.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11diozt2 said:
Seymour":11diozt2 said:

Maybe, my guess is the Lions would have bumped it up to match, IMO Lang was going there all along cause that's where he and his family are from...........his agent was just using us as leverage, and it worked.

Possibly, then pay him more IMO. I've heard and read he honestly thought he was coming here. Maybe another $1M and the Lions back down. All speculation. The fact is though, we signed Joeckel first and our hands were more tied anyway.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ebh13f9 said:
RolandDeschain":1ebh13f9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1ebh13f9 said:

First play from scrimmage was a quick route with Graham chip blocking the end.

Except Graham forgot to chip, and Russell got sacked.

But yep, it's Bevell's fault.

Actually, the failure of the play was on Chris Carson. It is being discussed here http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138645

I do forgive the rookie though. I am sure he will learn from this. The rest of the game he was very impressive.

Latest posts