6 o-linemen

jdruaint

Reaction score
Honest question.

If you look at the Raiders tape many times last year when they thought they was over matched on the o-line or they just wanted to run it down your throats they went with a extra o-lineman. 6 on the field every play and they did it a bunch run or pass.

While not sexy and limits their play book it WORKED. If Pete really does refuse to get rid of the real problem imo (bev/cable) why can't we do this more for pass plays and run plays?

Mix in some read option/quit hitters/the run. It would help our horrible line a ton in pass pro and run blocking.

Why use Jimmy to chip when he can't chip for crap, why use Jimmy to block when he can't block for crap and just put in a 6th lineman and run 3 WR sets with Jimmy as a WR more than a TE?

Your thoughts?

erik2690

Reaction score
I mean anything is worth considering. The problem is the Raiders have several oline guys that everyone seems to agree are more than competent. If you have more than 1 guy who is getting beat almost instantly it might not make a dramatic difference to bring in your 6th best guy to help. Again it's worth thinking about but guys have to be able to stay in front at least a little bit. If you can't block 4 with 5 I'm not sure you would be able to block 5 with 6. Or you do do decent blocking 4 with 6 but then you have a 7 covering 4 out there at best and it can be hard to find space to get free.

OP
OP
J

jdruaint

Reaction score
I agree but i challenge anyone to go look at the Raiders tape from last year. They started with it to keep the D honest and mixed it up beautifully to make it effective.

You don't need to run it as your main O but mix it in to mx protect and get the run game going when it need a boast with a less than good o-line.

Jville

Reaction score
The 6th lineman is in the play book.

Matt Tobin was Seattle's 6th lineman for the Packer game.

OP
OP
J

jdruaint

Reaction score
Everyone has a 6 lineman on the bench. If you watch the raiders even in there playoff games they used it as a regular offence. Big difference!

Jville

Reaction score
Well Ok ...... just responding with identification of the 6th lineman for the Packer game. He was in for two out of the forty nine offensive snaps. :229031_shrug:

OP
OP
J

jdruaint

Reaction score
No time time to post what they did now but i will do tomorrow. Again go watch the raiders first playoff game for what i mean.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Problem is when you condense the oline....they condense the defense. Doesn't matter how many oline you have when you have free rushers right up the gut. An extra tackle or 3 Tight ends doesn't help when a journey man in Mike Daniels goes all Reggie White on our guards.