O-line improvement

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Does anyone think he o-line will improve the next few games or are we destined for this the rest of the season. I think they will get better. How much better is to be seen. There was obviously communication issues which seem like a fixable problem. I really don't think these guys are that less athletically inclined than everyone else. Just some time to put it together. I know we hear it every year but like every year I hope and hope. Maybe this year will be the year it actually happens.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Defense is always ahead of the offense early in the year.

Our Left Tackle went on IR, so we throw in a guy that didn't get time with this line, and it will take 2 or 3 games.

Sheldon Richardson said it will take him that long to get used playing next to Bennett, Avril, and Reed. And these guys don't need to work as a unit like an O Line does.

I expect to see Chris Carson and Thomas Rawls tear it up Sunday. Just watch...

Foghawk

Reaction score
I'm guessing we will see improvement starting this Sunday through week four. I have a feeling though, that I can't shake, that they will stumble noticeably again in week 5. Just a hunch.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Have not seen improvement the past 3 years and judging by this first game, do not think anything more than nominal change will happen any time soon. There will be some games that fans will gain hope like the Lions playoff game last season or games that we win were the greatness of our other players overshadow the O-Line's ineptness. The incompetence will still be there.

Seymour

Reaction score
Foghawk":23rinlov said:
I'm guessing we will see improvement starting this Sunday through week four. I have a feeling though, that I can't shake, that they will stumble noticeably again in week 5. Just a hunch.

Yep.. Improvement will follow level of competition. Then we'll meet Goliath again and we'll turn back into the pumpkin and wake up and realize it just aint happenin' this year. :2thumbs:

massari

Reaction score
It's kind of confusing why they're willing to spend the draft capital/cap room on Richardson as soon as McDowell goes down but not on the OL when Fant get hurt. Tobin is a scrub. Maybe there's just no one available?

With the Browns seemingly in rebuild mode, you'd think they'd be willing to deal 33 year old Joe Thomas for some high picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
They need to treat this game like a full go practice and just keep doing stuff till they get it right, on paper we should have them way over matched. Drive block and create lanes etc. The defense can do what it does. But offense needs to abuse these guys like a sparring partner.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
massari":va15kgbm said:
It's kind of confusing why they're willing to spend the draft capital/cap room on Richardson as soon as McDowell goes down but not on the OL when Fant get hurt. Tobin is a scrub. Maybe there's just no one available?

I'm more confused on why they keep passing over Olineman in the draft that would be starting right now. I'll never understand that one.

Seafan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3bm7sg0n said:
massari":3bm7sg0n said:

I'm more confused on why they keep passing over Olineman in the draft that would be starting right now. I'll never understand that one.

The Hawks have offensive lineman they have drafted that are starting right now. :179419:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
We spend more draft capital on OL than any other position group.

massari

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":20qfrhzr said:
We spend more draft capital on OL than any other position group.
So Use it to trade for a proven stud instead of drafting another Ifedi, Glowinski, Odihambo, Poole, Moffitt ect.

Now that Fant's out for the season, they need to go all out to get someone like Joe Thomas. Something like a 1st+3rd+Obihambo/Tobin for him.

They gave up a 2nd for Richardson when they lost McDowell, so do the same for the OL. They can trade Graham+Lane (as great as they are) for draft picks to make the cap room and sign FA TE Gary Barnidge to replace Graham.
Gary Barnidge

Also bring in free agent G John Greco for a workout

John Greco

While we're at it, bring in DT Desmond Bryant and WR Josh Gordon too. So many Cleveland Browns such little time!

QB Pressures

idle Eric

Reaction score
It's not communication on the OL that's the problem (granted it adds to it) . It's individual technique. Barring Britt not a single OL player has it. They are not NFL standard players. The OL is a PATHETIC joke that has gone on for years now. This team is a mess because of it. This is the year where the Cable "the lines really improved, i'm excited" BS ends and he gets sacked along with Bevell. Why ? Because we don't make it to the play offs ! It's that bad. This line is really that bad.
They can't pick OL line talent. They can't coach the technique into them because the player and the coach don't have the talent in the first place.
You can't have a great D and QB and at the same time as great OL. BUT you can have a serviceable OL, thats good enough with a coach that can recognise and pick talent.
We are kidding ourselves If we think we'll win a damn thing with an OL as pathetic as this. This year boys this joke ends.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Is this considered Year 1 or Year 2 for this line -- many of the same faces, but in different positions? If you look at their ages, they're a pretty young bunch. What really is the reasonable timetable for their growth as a unit?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Our LT is not an NFL-quality player. Until that issue is resolved, we will only be as strong as our weakest link. I never thought I would pine for the days of Paul McQuistan as much as I do right now.

idle Eric

Reaction score
The time table for the OL being half serviceable means the window for this team will be well truly closed !

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":18euz144 said:
Is this considered Year 1 or Year 2 for this line -- many of the same faces, but in different positions? If you look at their ages, they're a pretty young bunch. What really is the reasonable timetable for their growth as a unit?

Sorry but the "need time to gel" card has worn out. We were told this last year then they move everyone around again. If they looked below average then ok, when you display poor technique AND execution, how much better can they get in a few weeks?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A lot of people underestimated the Green Bay defense going in. Our OL was made to look pretty bad against Mike Daniels, Quinton Dial, and Nick Perry, because they're actually pretty good.

It also didn't help that Pete went in playing max protect and thus taking away targets from Russell.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Some of the plays last week where half the line wasn't even able to engage a defender raises some serious questions going forward. GB defense is decent, not great, and spent most of the game in dime. I feel like they will need 8 blockers against the Rams.