Just saw the non-pick 6

HawkGA

Reaction score
Watched the NFL GameDay condensed game. Well, up to the first Packers' series. They didn't really show anything for the Lane penalty, but he Avril penalty? Seriously, that was bad. I thought it was going to be one of those kind of hitting the QB unnecessarily but it was barely a tap and it most likely from the side anyway (though the angle the two were going put Avril's head behind Rodgers).

Holy crap what a horrible call.

Maybe some time I'll get to the point of watching the Graham mugging but this was enough for tonight.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Adams is running ahead of Lane, he turns back, grabs Jeremy by the face mask and yanks his head forward and down. Lane goes to the ground, landing partially on Davante.

They eject Jeremy Lane for trying to defend himself.

Cliff Avril gets his right hand on Rodgers right shoulder, while Cliffs left hand is on Aaron's right arm. Avril's right hand slides off Rodger's shoulder pad and across his back.

Cliff is penalized for a phantom block in the back.

Seattle's game altering touchdown is taken off the board, and their 7-0 lead is negated.

Both Buck and Aikman said they were bad calls.

Joe Buck: I didn't see a punch.

Troy Aikman: Me either

Joe Buck: We just talked to Mike Pereira, and he didn't like either one of those calls.

Dean Blandino: Those were bad calls.

Packer fans: Stop complaining about bad calls! Except for Golden Tate's fall Mary.

Atlanta fans: I know, right? Why complain...well except for missed pass interference. And only when it butt hurts our team.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":2js1h9o5 said:
Watched the NFL GameDay condensed game. Well, up to the first Packers' series. They didn't really show anything for the Lane penalty, but he Avril penalty? Seriously, that was bad. I thought it was going to be one of those kind of hitting the QB unnecessarily but it was barely a tap and it most likely from the side anyway (though the angle the two were going put Avril's head behind Rodgers).

Holy crap what a horrible call.

Maybe some time I'll get to the point of watching the Graham mugging but this was enough for tonight.

Well if you think the Avril penalty was bad than when you see the next two you will be at a loss for words. At least with Avril's penalty one could say, he shouldn't have touched Rodgers, it only gave the refs an opportunity to throw the flag.
The other two are unbelievable.

I hope someone out there is collecting a log of tyranny of refereeing against the Seahawks. I often wonder if it is because I am a fan of Seattle and have bias but I watch other games because I like to watch good football. That said, I can not think of other games were at the very most I have said to myself, "that was a bad call". I've said it with teams playing us.

Never seen anything that would amount to the level that our team has seen, multiple times in a game, for multiple games. The history is evident. Don't know or pretend to understand the motivation. Have no evidence of a motivation but I know the discrepancy is there.

schkoot

Reaction score
If this is what it takes to make the supposed "Fail Mary" crybaby train stop, I'm OK with it. A week one loss isn't such a huge deal. We'll rebound.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rodgers was actually giving chase though, it's not like he pushed a QB who was cowering.

Well, it's not as bad as the penalty against Hass in the Super Bowl, so it has that going for it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkGA":mgnmxx3m said:
Rodgers was actually giving chase though, it's not like he pushed a QB who was cowering.

Basically how I feel.

The Lane call was indisputably atrocious.

The no call on Graham was very bad too.

Rodgers was giving chase and got very clearly pushed in the back which very clearly altered the trajectory of where he was running. That gets called all the time on long returns.

If it's way off the ball and 30 yards away I thinks refs usually give the guy a reminder instead of a penalty, but if you can see it happen in the frame while following the ball carrier that's getting called.

We usually see that call made on kick and punt returns (because long turnover returns just don't happen that frequently), but there's so many penalties on kick and punt returns for precisely this reason and this situation.

I've always been confused by that, as players get routinely yelled at by their coaches for doing that exact thing starting in high school freshman football, if not even earlier.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Lol.. no... his path didn't change... and he got tapped on the shoulder... Nothing about that was remotely close to a push in the back

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ambrose83":7jel4q7w said:
Lol.. no... his path didn't change... and he got tapped on the shoulder... Nothing about that was remotely close to a push in the back

Don't really have any interest in debating if reality is real or not, but in pushing both his arms out for the block Avril makes contact with Rodgers' back all the way on the other side of his body from where Avril is.

Likewise, Rodgers throws his arms up in the air to keep balance while veering off from his path.

https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/ ... 93/video/1

Arguing that Avril didn't push him in the back while trying to block him or that the block didn't redirect Rodgers at all is basically trying to argue that reality isn't real.

Again though, if this doesn't happen in the same frame as the ball carrier, or if Rodgers isn't still actively pursuing as part of the play when he gets pushed in the back, or if Rodgers isn't the closest defender to the ball carrier, I don't think this gets called.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pathetic calls on that one and the Graham. But I guess it's no big deal if it happens to the Seahawks. Other way around, there would be media freaking out 24/7

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wezry1h said:
Ambrose83":1wezry1h said:

Don't really have any interest in debating if reality is real or not, but in pushing both his arms out for the block Avril makes contact with Rodgers' back all the way on the other side of his body from where Avril is.

Likewise, Rodgers throws his arms up in the air to keep balance while veering off from his path.

https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/ ... 93/video/1

Arguing that Avril didn't push him in the back while trying to block him or that the block didn't redirect Rodgers at all is basically trying to argue that reality isn't real.

Again though, if this doesn't happen in the same frame as the ball carrier, or if Rodgers isn't still actively pursuing as part of the play when he gets pushed in the back, or if Rodgers isn't the closest defender to the ball carrier, I don't think this gets called.

Avril was IN FRONT of Rodgers. Hitting a guy in the side, when you are already in front of him and coming down to make contact, is not a block in the back. That was a clean block.

SorrowfulFavorableBudgie size restricted

The whole point of the rule is to prevent players from getting knocked down FROM BEHIND, not to prevent a hand from incidentally touching another player's side/back during an otherwise clean block attempt from the front.

RULE SUMMARY VIEW OFFICIAL RULE
ILLEGAL BLOCK ABOVE THE WAIST

Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl ... the-waist/

Smellyman

Reaction score
It's really weird how Rodgers went sideways on that push in the back.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
ptisme":16z46yg1 said:
Check out the shot from the front at the 1:15 mark. He clearly pushes him in the back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7c0Ze7rBmk

Under the rule, it doesn't matter if he touches his back if it doesn't happen FROM BEHIND. Avril is coming down in front of Rodgers and hits him in the shoulder/side/back. That's not an illegal block because it doesn't happen from behind.

Own The West

Reaction score
There was a second no call PI before the Graham one. I want to say it was Richardson(?) where Paul was going deep and the DB just stepped in front of him and stopped him cold. The ball went sailing overhead un-catchable once he was stopped, but I was thinking, "He would have caught that in stride. Why isn't he pitching a fit for a flag right now?"

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Is anyone keeping track of poor calls against any team in the league? The answer is no. No one cares.

Were there bad calls? Yes. The game counts, we lost, moving on to game 2.

Tical21

Reaction score
The Avril push was CLEARLY a totally unnecessary push in the back, and kudos to the lot of you that recognize it as a dumb play rather than a bad call. You restore my faith in Seahawks fans. I was expecting it to be me against the world trying to explain reality to the blind homers. That is just about as obvious as a block in the back gets.

ptisme

Reaction score
hawknation2017":26l9xer5 said:
ptisme":26l9xer5 said:
Check out the shot from the front at the 1:15 mark. He clearly pushes him in the back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7c0Ze7rBmk

Under the rule, it doesn't matter if he touches his back if it doesn't happen FROM BEHIND. Avril is coming down in front of Rodgers and hits him in the shoulder/side/back. That's not an illegal block because it doesn't happen from behind.
If the word "OR" wasn't present for the second part of the rule you would be correct... In this case, under the rule, this is a penalty:
Blocks an opponent (from behind) in the back above the opponent’s waist, or uses his hands or arms to push an opponent from behind in a manner that affects his movement, except in close-line play.