USA Today: Hawks OL is a disaster, but Wilson isn't helping

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

With tape...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/the-sea ... nt-helping

On numerous occasions, Wilson bailed from clean pockets or panicked too early and ran into pressure, which has been an issue throughout his career.

Still think it might be his height that's partially causing him to do this.

Don't worry, I still think he's an amazing QB and still want him on no team other than the Seahawks.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
He's giving himself an internal clock to abandon the pocket because he can't trust that there won't be a blocking breakdown on his blindside. Why is he doing that? Because we have one of the most physically overmatched LTs ever.

Either Russell grows another set of eyes on the back of his head . . . or maybe we address the LT position.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
I've said this last year but it wasn't well received by most on this site. Russell has been David Carr'd. That alone is reason enough for a coaching overhaul. I'm afraid this staff has destroyed the potential of best QB in franchise history.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I sure hope the David Carr comparisons don't come true, but he did not have a good game and it's not 100% on the OL.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mostly fair IMO. Example 2 of leaving early was marginal. As to why he may leave early? His internal clock of 2 seconds before pressure arrives is one big reason. Lines like we are giving him can ruin many QBs.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
When Russell was hurt last year and couldn't leave the pocket, there were times when he would literally stare down the left side of the field and not attempt a pass to the right side. So that's a 3rd alternative to growing eyes on the back of his head. Unfortunately, that strategy cuts off half the field and makes the passing game much more predictable.

Or maybe they could address the LT position!

IrishNW

Reaction score
I agree about his height, I think Cable even said it in an interview way back in the day. When he cant see he's going to move. Wilson needs to learn how to manipulate the pocket like drew brees does

Smellyman

Reaction score
131125wilson600.jpg

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's a compound problem and Wilson is part of it. That's not news to folks that see rather than believe.

With RW all we can really ask is better discipline. It's not like he's growing any time soon and he's still in a top 5 conversation. The OL, on the other hand...we should probably make some reasonable changes.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
IrishNW":1ut5rmsp said:
I agree about his height, I think Cable even said it in an interview way back in the day. When he cant see he's going to move. Wilson needs to learn how to manipulate the pocket like drew brees does

Brees has Sean Payton who uses quick 3 step routes at the beginning to establish rythm. Our playcalling is terrible. We either throw a screen (Our receivers outside of Baldwin can't block). Or we have routes that take 5-7 steps to develop. By that time the pressure is in his face. We need to go from a vertical to a horizontal offense if this OL philosophy is to remain.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2017":ntwyikog said:

I'm open to suggestions.

If you say Joe Thomas I'm going to put you on ignore for a week. :141847_bnono:

IrishNW

Reaction score
ludakrishna":74dynrbw said:
IrishNW":74dynrbw said:

Brees has Sean Payton who uses quick 3 step routes at the beginning to establish rythm. Our playcalling is terrible. We either throw a screen (Our receivers outside of Baldwin can't block). Or we have routes that take 5-7 steps to develop. By that time the pressure is in his face. We need to go from a vertical to a horizontal offense if this OL philosophy is to remain.

Oh I agree, Sean Payton is a great offensive mind and Drew Brees has mastered his offense. I wonder what Russell Wilson could do in that offense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm sorry but so many of those examples were just bad and creating a narrative. The play is designed to go to a specific person or side of the field. If that guy is covered then the QB has to go to a second read or third read. Just because the guy on the backside of the play comes open, he may be the 4th read. With this OL, no QB is getting to the 4th read (and probably the defense knows this which is why those guys are open). Several times Russell was trying to shift or get himself open to get to that second read and yes, got tackled in the process.

The problem isn't necessarily Russell but the stupid damn play that everyone knows is coming and so the primary read is double covered and now Russell has to improvise. This all goes away with better gameplans. We've seen it before from Bevell and WIlson. When they get it right they can move the ball as well as anyone. When the gameplan is totally wrong and the OL is overmatched we get last weeks game (or the TB game from last year, or the many Rams games and Cardinals games the last two years).

Does Russell make errors at times when the play doesn't go as planned? Yes he does. So does every QB including Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. I don't think it has anything to do with being David Carr'd. It's having to come up with a instantaneous decision in the face of heat when no one else is executing well. Russell is one of only a handful of QB's that can make something out of nothing. Most pocket passers would be sacked relentlessly with our line and be on IR.

Smellyman

Reaction score
IrishNW":3v4skrx9 said:
ludakrishna":3v4skrx9 said:
IrishNW":3v4skrx9 said:

Oh I agree, Sean Payton is a great offensive mind and Drew Brees has mastered his offense. I wonder what Russell Wilson could do in that offense.

Also subtly slides the pocket a lot.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":i19e8x01 said:
hawknation2017":i19e8x01 said:

I'm open to suggestions.

Joe Thomas just had a phenomenal week 1, so I'm not sure why you would be opposed to pursuing him.

The most obvious solution, at least at the moment, would be to move Joeckel back out to LT. He started at LT for three years in the NFL, and while not "great," he played much better at that position than our current LT.

If they can get Battle or Pocic up to speed, then maybe move Joeckel back to LG when that is possible.

There are not many worse alternatives than the status quo. Asking Russell why he is fleeing the pocket unnecessarily at times is kind of like asking a DV victim why they have trust issues.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ydb275y8 said:
hawknation2017":ydb275y8 said:

I'm open to suggestions.

I was against this before, but since Pocic is sitting I would try Joeckel at LT (he clearly is not a top guard as Cable thinks), then bring in Pocic at guard. That would require 1 move to activate Hunt for BU center.

Joeckel only needs to be better than Obi, and Pocic = to Joeckel for this to help.

Beyond that?

Punt.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":2ym09cj9 said:
MontanaHawk05":2ym09cj9 said:
hawknation2017":2ym09cj9 said:

I'm open to suggestions.

I was against this before, but since Pocic is sitting I would try Joeckel at LT (he clearly is not a top guard as Cable thinks), then bring in Pocic at guard. That would require 1 move to activate Hunt for BU center.

Joeckel only needs to be better than Obi, and Pocic = to Joeckel for this to help.

Beyond that?

Punt.

Pocic hasn't played on the left side of the line. He did start a year at RG in college and played some RG in the pre-season.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1y1tbi5f said:
Seymour":1y1tbi5f said:
MontanaHawk05":1y1tbi5f said:
hawknation2017":1y1tbi5f said:

I'm open to suggestions.

Beyond that?

Punt.

Pocic hasn't played on the left side of the line. He did start a year at RG in college and played some RG in the pre-season.

So Glow back to LG and Pocic at RG

Seymour

Reaction score
IrishNW":1qheuuch said:
ludakrishna":1qheuuch said:
IrishNW":1qheuuch said:

Payton and Pete would make a great / unbeatable team. They have the opposite problem we do. Payton is an O minded coach that drafts like crazy trying to fix his D and year after year gets nowhere.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Since the beginning of football, one of the requirements of the QB position has been to hang in the pocket and make tough throws even right down to stepping into your throw knowing you're going to get hit. This is NOT new. Nor is RW's questionable pocket presence.

This IS a compound problem. Video evidence doesn't lend to denial here.