This defense and 3rd down

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what this def does differently on 3rd downs. It almost seems like 3rd and longs give them more fits. Maybe it's the deep middle in general.

Is it the our scheme that amplifies this? Do we change things around too much on long downs?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
cymatica":2aoes0wn said:
I'm trying to understand what this def does differently on 3rd downs. It almost seems like 3rd and longs give them more fits. Maybe it's the deep middle in general.

Is it the our scheme that amplifies this? Do we change things around too much on long downs?

Richard tries to limit explosive plays on literally every 3rd down. So they go over the middle and get every 3rd down.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Over the last three seasons, the Seahawks D has allowed 29% conversion rate on 3rd downs. Which makes them the third best unit in the NFL. Last season was one of their worst 3rd down seasons allowing 38% which put them 12th in the league. They are very good on third downs and they were very good on 3rd downs against Green Bay, just when your offense can't make a first down your defense will get worn out and eventually fail.

adeltaY

Reaction score
There's a great writeup on Field Gulls about how the Packers used crossing concepts, especially on third down, to confuse the defense.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/12/16 ... g-patterns

The defense played great, especially since it's week 1 on the road, and had absolutely no help from the offense. I expect the communication to improve, especially since Shaq wasn't supposed to play so many snaps and Coleman wasn't supposed to play at all.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is prob the best QB when converting 3rd and long. Luckily we wont face anyone at his level the rest of this season

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
sdog1981":1stkrjdj said:
Over the last three seasons, the Seahawks D has allowed 29% conversion rate on 3rd downs. Which makes them the third best unit in the NFL. Last season was one of their worst 3rd down seasons allowing 38% which put them 12th in the league. They are very good on third downs and they were very good on 3rd downs against Green Bay, just when your offense can't make a first down your defense will get worn out and eventually fail.

So they are good, it's just that my eyes were used to seeing great on 1st and 2nd down.

hawk45

Reaction score
3rd down futility or not, if the end result is the Packers scoring 17 in their house, on short fields, then I have zero concern about the defense based on this game.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
ivotuk":3cjnvppi said:
Green Bay converted on 9 of 16 3rd downs. That's 56%

I'd like to see the 1st vs 2nd half breakdown on those. Bet there's a difference.

Big picture, they gave up zip for points in the 1st half, then a gimme TD, a 12MOF TD and a field goal in the 2nd half while being on the field over 40 minutes.

Optimus25

Reaction score
sdog1981":e0xi7qtu said:

You missed the point from OP.

he stressed 3rd and longs, which in case you missed the past couple seasons it's almost tragic how we give up 3rd and 15s routinely...

sutz

Reaction score
The real key to 3rd and long is to not get into that situation.

You need stops on 1st and 2d down.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":2ayxit8a said:

Huh?

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":3ppwi0b5 said:
sutz":3ppwi0b5 said:

Huh?
That was kind of weird, wasn't it? I think I need more coffee. :laugh: