This defensive line

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
So far, the d-line is absolutely living up to its billing. There have been very few deep throw attempts due to not just the actual pressure being applied but the subsequent affect the consistent bodies around the QB has on the internal clock of the QB. Ergo, when the opposing QB has time, they often think they don't.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but a very encouraging aspect of the defense we didn't have last year. Richardson appears to be freeing up other players to up their game like Reed, Jones, and Clark. As long as they stay healthy, I expect them to continue to brutalize offenses throughout the league.

mistaowen

Reaction score
They've been awesome outside a few lapses against GB which I have to assume was due to being on the field so long. Sheldon Richardson elevates this defense, every play he seems to get crazy pressure even when double teamed. If they can continue to get pressure bringing only 4, the turnovers should start happening.

Seymour

Reaction score
mistaowen":3pvu357e said:
They've been awesome outside a few lapses against GB which I have to assume was due to being on the field so long. Sheldon Richardson elevates this defense, every play he seems to get crazy pressure even when double teamed. If they can continue to get pressure bringing only 4, the turnovers should start happening.

Agree. I'll add he is a great run stopper also. Both long 49er runs happened when Richardson was getting a breather, and that was no coincidence.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1zvhcnna said:
mistaowen":1zvhcnna said:

Agree. I'll add he is a great run stopper also. Both long 49er runs happened when Richardson was getting a breather, and that was no coincidence.

He was in on the shorter of the two.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1796uf6u said:
Seymour":1796uf6u said:
mistaowen":1796uf6u said:

I did not double check yet, but that is not what Gregg Bell said on 950 this morning. Also, there may have been 3 longer runs in total?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":fspkfims said:
Seanhawk":fspkfims said:
Seymour":fspkfims said:
mistaowen":fspkfims said:

I did not double check yet, but that is not what Gregg Bell said on 950 this morning. Also, there may have been 3 longer runs in total?

He had two runs over 20 yards. The one at 1:30 is the one I was talking about. They circle Richardson on the replay at 1:46.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/C...n-Week-2/fb66b15d-9451-4cff-9aea-2ac257f458e9

sutz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1bkmyxv4 said:
Seymour":1bkmyxv4 said:
mistaowen":1bkmyxv4 said:

The second one was on Avril, I believe. They had the RB corralled, but Avril took an angle to the front of the scrum, while the RB bounced out of the back. We lost contain.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":2uhtnemw said:
Seanhawk":2uhtnemw said:
Seymour":2uhtnemw said:
mistaowen":2uhtnemw said:

The second one was on Avril, I believe. They had the RB corralled, but Avril took an angle to the front of the scrum, while the RB bounced out of the back. We lost contain.

Nope that was Richardson. He got pinned and pushed to towards the play, which got bottled up. Then Hyde cut back right where Richardson should've been. You can't have 3 DL being blocked by 3 OL in the space of about 5 yards. If every block is successful, it goes to the offense as a win. When you get that bunched up, it creates huge cut back lanes.

Yea the DE on that side should've had that as well, but Richardson got sucked into the scrum because the OLman got his outside shoulder.

Then we missed a tackle to boot.

Overall this DL is playing right into how our defense is built. Forcing the offense to throw short passes lets us play up quickly and make big hits.