Tanner "Hands of stone" McEvoy

2_0_6

Reaction score
Why Pete & John continue to keep this kid on the roster is mind boggling. Ya, I get that he has some versatility and has played other spots in college, but this isn't college and he is a WR.

If we ended up losing yesterday, his drop along with Mr. Glass Prosise would have been the hot button items all over the radio today. We need guys that can actually catch, and not get T-Rex arms in traffic.

That is all, rant over.

Go Hawks

sutz

Reaction score
That was his worst game I can remember. Some days you skin the bear and some days the bear skins you. He's shown some things in the past.

I'm not ready to can him yet.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Tanner had a bad game. You could make the same argument for Prosise as well. He dropped passes, so did many others as well. Jimmy Graham has dropped passes in his hands for two weeks straight now. They are all tapping in to their inner Kearse since he is no longer in Seattle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He certainly had a bad game, but so did Prosise, and Graham. Each of these players are usually reliable as a receiver.

Move on, it was just one game.

The L is still an L (EDIT: actually a W), brutally ugly or not. As the season goes on this L (EDIT: actually a W) will start to look better and better and you can be sure McEvoy, Prosise, and Graham will catch more than they drop.

My bad, and thanks for pointing out my mistake. Funny though I thought I'd typed W throughout.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":230zkw5p said:
He certainly had a bad game, but so did Prosise, and Graham. Each of these players are usually reliable as a receiver.

Move on, it was just one game.

The L is still an L, brutally ugly or not. As the season goes on this L will start to look better and better and you can be sure McEvoy, Prosise, and Graham will catch more than they drop.
What "L"? (you might want to experiment with the "edit" button) ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
Guys....this was the first game or practice with wet balls. Wilson had trouble with passes sailing also. Not an excuse, and should not happen, but I'm not going to call anyone out for 2 drops on a wet day myself.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Someone had to take on the Jermaine Kearse role on the offence. McEvoy seems to have embraced that fully. Good on special teams, good on run blocking, catches difficult passes, drops easy ones. Checks all the boxes.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm cool with each dude getting a one game mulligan for that. Up until this point they've both seemed to have pretty classy hands as far as I can recall. Though it is a little odd that guys from New Jersey and Virginia who played their college ball in Wisconsin and Indiana struggled with catching in less than ideal weather.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I betcha everyone thought what I thought when McEvoy dropped those passes................"I bet Kasen catches those."

But that's the first time we've seen that out of McEvoy, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Usually he's got really good hands.

But this offense is not good enough to recover from drops, luckily we were playing an even worse offense. But if this team has aspirations of another deep playoff run, guys like McEvoy have to produce.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'm willing to forgive one game, That being said, he better get it together or get gone.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":1e951vn7 said:
Guys....this was the first game or practice with wet balls. Wilson had trouble with passes sailing also. Not an excuse, and should not happen, but I'm not going to call anyone out for 2 drops on a wet day myself.

This. Might as well crucify Wilson for missing Lockett. Or throwing that ball too high and slightly behind McEvoy. Ony that subject, why doesn't Graham get more jump balls and when he does, why aren't they very good ?

Because our QB isn't great at throwing jump balls. At least not really high ones to his big guys.

Want to know why McEvoy is still on the team and Williams is in Cleveland? Go back and re watch the ONE good run Carson had against GB. look about 10 yards beyond the LOS. See that guy ? It's McEvoy sealing the edge against 2 guys in the secondary. Just that one block sprung Carson for another 15 yards. Williams would've whiffed the block, if he even tried to block at all.

Those plays are going to add up a lot more than the 3 jump balls Wilson is going to give him this season. Those plays were why Kearse was on the team for 2 years after everyone was asking why he wasn't gone.

I'm also not about to give up on a guy starting his 2nd season in a new position that he didn't even play in college. Just the size/speed combination is enough to keep him here. If he shows promise, we can ditch Graham and his contract after this year and keep Richardson (and I can't believe I'm typing that, I love Graham).

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hawks46":2qmdmmvq said:
Seymour":2qmdmmvq said:

This. Might as well crucify Wilson for missing Lockett. Or throwing that ball too high and slightly behind McEvoy. Ony that subject, why doesn't Graham get more jump balls and when he does, why aren't they very good ?

Because our QB isn't great at throwing jump balls. At least not really high ones to his big guys.

Want to know why McEvoy is still on the team and Williams is in Cleveland? Go back and re watch the ONE good run Carson had against GB. look about 10 yards beyond the LOS. See that guy ? It's McEvoy sealing the edge against 2 guys in the secondary. Just that one block sprung Carson for another 15 yards. Williams would've whiffed the block, if he even tried to block at all.

Those plays are going to add up a lot more than the 3 jump balls Wilson is going to give him this season. Those plays were why Kearse was on the team for 2 years after everyone was asking why he wasn't gone.

I'm also not about to give up on a guy starting his 2nd season in a new position that he didn't even play in college. Just the size/speed combination is enough to keep him here. If he shows promise, we can ditch Graham and his contract after this year and keep Richardson (and I can't believe I'm typing that, I love Graham).

This is even more concerning. Its not like the WR is a position of depth or guys that are non-injury prone

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gpm1m4n said:
I betcha everyone thought what I thought when McEvoy dropped those passes................"I bet Kasen catches those."

But that's the first time we've seen that out of McEvoy, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Usually he's got really good hands.

But this offense is not good enough to recover from drops, luckily we were playing an even worse offense. But if this team has aspirations of another deep playoff run, guys like McEvoy have to produce.

I'm guilty of that thought....briefly. Then it occurred to me that since McEvoy is the better athlete, Kasen may not have even been open and gotten the target.

netskier

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ombaew7 said:
Tanner had a bad game. You could make the same argument for Prosise as well. He dropped passes, so did many others as well. Jimmy Graham has dropped passes in his hands for two weeks straight now. They are all tapping in to their inner Kearse since he is no longer in Seattle.

Hah. Reading "Inner Kearse "made me chuckle. Nice term. Especially since he has seemed to have left that ghost with Seattle, as he played well against the Raiders yesterday, and someone called him the Jets' number one receiver.

This observation supports the idea that one of the main problems is our passing system design.

I think they need to design a passing attack specifically for this time of the season, while we wait for the OL to learn to pass block better.

netskier

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ws7cw4e said:
Seymour":2ws7cw4e said:

Good post. Yes. Why isn't Wilson better at throwing jump balls to his tall receivers? He does throw them to his short receivers.

Has anyone who attended practices ever seen Wilson practicing throwing jump balls to tall receivers? I include Kasen Williams in that group, since he is functionally tall given that he was a six ten high jumper in high school.

All basketball teams attack with both speed/quickness and height, and it makes sense for football passing attacks to do the same. Seattle's passing attack seems to use only speed/quickness, and not height. Why not, since we have a lot of it?

And Pete still plays basketball, so he understands the value of height on all levels in basketball.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I've had a few bad days at work in my life. I'm just glad there was no forum calling for my immediate placement.

Most of us are ardent fans. We initially respond with emotion because we have so much time and energy invested in this team. I know I do. I immediately called McAvoy every name in the book and wanted to eat his first born child. I've since calmed and am looking forward to some solid games where he can redeem himself.

GLio14

Reaction score
I actually don't think he has bad hands. I think his hands are pretty good. He had a pretty terrible game, and I'm willing to look past this past game if he steps up.

netskier

Reaction score
Seymour":277j8tpo said:
Sgt. Largent":277j8tpo said:

I'm guilty of that thought....briefly. Then it occurred to me that since McEvoy is the better athlete, Kasen may not have even been open and gotten the target.

I am not sure who the better athlete is. Both are phenomenal, and have different strengths.

Kasen does not need to get open on the ground because he can elevate his hips to the level of the DB's shoulders, which allows him to catch the ball over the DB below him. We saw this in the preseason games. And, IIRC, most of those throws were by the backup quarterbacks.

Wilson, IIRC, has not shown that he is willing or able to throw the high balls to receivers. I would love have someone cite evidence that he has done this.

I think we let Kasen go because he did not demonstrate good blocking in comparison to the others. I hated to see him go because he was so enjoyable to watch.

But, recall that Ricardo Lockette made three blocks for Marshawn in Beastquake 2. Three blocks in one play was, and still is, amazing. Our coaches highly value receivers who block.

HawkGA

Reaction score
rjdriver":25maqg2k said:
I've had a few bad days at work in my life. I'm just glad there was no forum calling for my immediate placement.

I get where you are going with this, but he essentially has 16 work days (not counting the playoffs). If you sucked at your job every 16th day, you'd probably start getting in trouble too. Just sayin'. It's not unreasonable to consider whether he should have made the team over some of the other players.

Latest posts