6 dropped passes. 2 of them Touchdowns

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
This game looks much different if both those drops in the end zone don't happen. Both were balls that should be caught at the pro level. if 4 of the 6 drops are caught were talking about a 70% + completion rate.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
This is actually the one thing that gives me hope going forward. Even if McEvoy hangs on to the two that hit him in the hands (sheesh!), it's a very different game, and maybe we're all walking on sunshine this morning.

I still have issues with the offensive coaching and play-calling, but even I have to cut them some slack here. The receivers need to receive. Especially when Wilson puts it right on the money.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Not to mention eight more points and two drives that could have gone further.

No, you can't take them away. But the Seahawks have a big drops game only twice a year, and this one was in wet conditions. The fact that we could sustain some drives over last week is a step forward, though certainly a step down from the Lynch years, LOL.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Everyone keeps pointing at McEvoy. While McEvoy didn't do well, Prosise was just as bad. He dropped a couple too. So did Graham.

sutz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1zfqcp4p said:
Everyone keeps pointing at McEvoy. While McEvoy didn't do well, Prosise was just as bad. He dropped a couple too. So did Graham.
True, Mac wasn't the only one. First game in wet weather might explain some of it. They said Wilson praticed with wet balls (footballs, guys. Get your mind on track :) ). I wonder if any of the receivers thought to. Wilson had several of his patented high throws as well yesterday.

At least they fired up the run game in the 4th Qtr to seal the deal. That drive was a thing of beauty. Coach Knox would have been proud. ;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
49ers had some drops too, including that huge one in the 4th quarter that would have given the 9ers 1st and Goal. Wilson also threw about 3 or 4 INTs yesterday with his high throws and was fortunate that the 49ers missed them all. There are a lot of ways the game could have gone much differently.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The answer is all but one and it would have been a TD.

Let's think positively for a moment or two, humour me. If McEvoy catches the TD then the score would have been 19-9 if Pete doesn't go for 2 if that happens successfully it's 20-9. ( yes I am aware the missed extra point happened after the McEvoy drop). If Prosise caught that ball in stride and scores it's potentially 27-9. If that was the finally score there's still a lot of things needing fixing for the O, and some coaching needed for ST but none here would be truly upset about Wilson throwing for three TDs instead of one.

I truly believe notwithstanding the ugliness of yesterday's show by the O that they are closer to being adequate than they showed yesterday. A few moRe timely catches instead of drops and some slight improvement to the running game and the Hawks will start to look much better on O. If that happens and the team can actually play with a lead rather than keeping the game close the opposition will be forced to pass and when that happens they play to the strength of our D.

Meanwhile we just need to be patient. Pointing fingers and complaining won't help anything.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":i55mb0ls said:
hawkfan68":i55mb0ls said:
True, Mac wasn't the only one. First game in wet weather might explain some of it. They said Wilson praticed with wet balls (footballs, guys. Get your mind on track :) ). I wonder if any of the receivers thought to. Wilson had several of his patented high throws as well yesterday.

At least they fired up the run game in the 4th Qtr to seal the deal. That drive was a thing of beauty. Coach Knox would have been proud. ;)

Yeah, I saw a lot of high passes thrown, whats up with that? IS it that he has to throw it high to compensate his lack of height to throw over linemen and quick to bee line the pass between our non separating receivers?

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":12wzekmw said:
sutz":12wzekmw said:
hawkfan68":12wzekmw said:

Yeah, I saw a lot of high passes thrown, whats up with that? IS it that he has to throw it high to compensate his lack of height to throw over linemen and quick to bee line the pass between our non separating receivers?
Well, Russell has a history of overthrowing receivers in the first quarter. Most games he seems to do that fairly consistantly. He usually gets over it by half time. Against SF, he did it most of the game. At least we didn't get burned by it, though he hit a couple of DBacks in the chest and hands. We got lucky.

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Russell is captain over throw early in games, seems to settle as the game progresses

kidhawk

Reaction score
For me, this game was a tale of two halves.

The first half, the offense was calling a really good game. If not for the drops in the first half, we'd have likely ended the half with a double digit lead.

In the NFL, when you play a team close and you should be beating them soundly, it gives that other team a bit of a push as the game progresses. I think those drops kept the Niners heads in this game longer than they ever should have. Had we made those, I think this game may have been a rout

In the second half, I put a lot of our issues to Wilson. He had a really bad half. Way too many balls sailing over the heads and hands of receivers. These weren't even balls being thrown away, as the Niners had opportunities to make the picks on a few.

When all else failed in that second half, Wilson and Carson used their legs to pretty much finish off the Niners in the last half of the 4th quarter.

Defensively, this team did exactly what they should do. They got a pick, they kept most plays in front of them and didn't allow a single touchdown all day. 2 of the 3 field goals came mostly on the backs of 2 long runs by Hyde. They really only had one sustained scoring drive all day. Even with that, we gave up only field goals and our defense is now giving up an average of only 13 points per game (5th in the league).

Our offensive line did much better in pass protection today (not good, but better), and Carson has proven himself worthy of starting in the NFL and I hope they continue to use him like they did this week. Wilson had his bad game, I am not concerned that those errant passes will be a trend. The drops are a bit more concerning, but it's still too early to call them more than an aberration.

I saw some good things this week even in the ugly win. I have more hope for this offense today than I did 1 week ago.

xgeoff

Reaction score
kidhawk":32uma0sl said:
For me, this game was a tale of two halves.

The first half, the offense was calling a really good game. If not for the drops in the first half, we'd have likely ended the half with a double digit lead.

In the NFL, when you play a team close and you should be beating them soundly, it gives that other team a bit of a push as the game progresses. I think those drops kept the Niners heads in this game longer than they ever should have. Had we made those, I think this game may have been a rout

In the second half, I put a lot of our issues to Wilson. He had a really bad half. Way too many balls sailing over the heads and hands of receivers. These weren't even balls being thrown away, as the Niners had opportunities to make the picks on a few.

When all else failed in that second half, Wilson and Carson used their legs to pretty much finish off the Niners in the last half of the 4th quarter.

Defensively, this team did exactly what they should do. They got a pick, they kept most plays in front of them and didn't allow a single touchdown all day. 2 of the 3 field goals came mostly on the backs of 2 long runs by Hyde. They really only had one sustained scoring drive all day. Even with that, we gave up only field goals and our defense is now giving up an average of only 13 points per game (5th in the league).

Our offensive line did much better in pass protection today (not good, but better), and Carson has proven himself worthy of starting in the NFL and I hope they continue to use him like they did this week. Wilson had his bad game, I am not concerned that those errant passes will be a trend. The drops are a bit more concerning, but it's still too early to call them more than an aberration.

I saw some good things this week even in the ugly win. I have more hope for this offense today than I did 1 week ago.

I didn't see the game, except for the last play, but this gives me hope. Did the line block better? Cause on the last play when Russ threw the TD they were atrocious. 2 dropped TD passes is huge. I can totally see that changing the nature of the game. winning 20-9 is a decent win. Frankly with our Defense we usually don't need more. Look at the GB game. Aaron Rodgers & Co held to 17 pts! That was an awesome effort from the D.

I'm surprised with McEvoy, cause he has seemed sure-handed in the past to me. Graham seems to run hot and cold. Sometimes he seems to catch everything, even with defenders draped all over him. Sometimes he drops the easy ones. Prosise has been injured so much that I don't have a good handle on him.

If this O-line can give Russ just a little time, I think this team can achieve great things.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pete just said in the presser that sometimes these things happen. Not making excuses for it tho. He looked a bit ruffer today than most days.

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":21cmhqm3 said:
Pete just said in the presser that sometimes these things happen. Not making excuses for it tho. He looked a bit ruffer today than most days.
Hey even us :179417: types are admitting there's a lot of work for him to do. ;)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Not reading the whole thread but the drops happened against the 9ers too. In fact they dropped three easy Int's that would have been the difference (in a bad way) in the game.

You have games were everything goes your way and the opposite to. This game wasn't one of those. If everything happened for both teams that normally would happen, this is a different game but I can't say the results are much different as for blow out or loss. Factor everything in, maybe we still win by 3. Not sure but the overall showing for a home opener vs a craptastic opponent wasn't the desired results and you really can't excuse that away.

massari

Reaction score
Question: How come statisticians aren't listing two dropped passes for McEvoy yesterday? He isn't even listed to have been targeted. Prosise seemed to have a drop too, but it's not listed anywhere. Graham's is.

DrDix

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1lzkehb5 said:

Graham did not "drop" a pass in the way Prosise and McEvoy did, not even close. Those two literally dropped them. Graham got destroyed in a hit which caused a drop. Not comparable.