Carroll is excited about LT Isaiah Battle

hawknation2017

Reaction score
“Really like what’s doing,” Carroll said of Battle. “He’s got an unusually gifted style in pass-protection and we’re trying to catch him up with the system right now so that he can compete to play. But he’s done some really good stuff, he’s gone against their best guys in practice in pass-rush and things like that, and he’s been very competitive. Really excited about what’s coming. I don’t know how fast we can get him caught up, though, but he’s done well.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/09/18 ... conference

What stood out about him at Clemson was his tremendous length, great drop step, and really sound footwork overall. But he needed to get a lot stronger and hopefully he has. Even if he isn't a huge asset in the run game, I would think he would be better overall than Rees Odhiambo, who continues to get rag dolled at times and is not quick, long, strong, composed, explosive, or experienced. Odhiambo might be the worst starting offensive lineman in the NFL at the moment. Battle could be the salve if he can get up to speed . . . soon.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
What did we trade for him? That'd be great if we get somebody in there to push the starting LT.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":18kux4vq said:
What did we trade for him? That'd be great if we get somebody in there to push the starting LT.

It was a conditional pick. Probably a 7th rounder.

I just re-watched his snaps against us in the preseason, and he looked very smooth in pass protection, except when he got his hands up a little high on a couple plays (and was called for illegal use of hands on one play). But he was knocking Quinton Jefferson around pretty good. Battle has definitely gotten more powerful since college.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Well if it's conditional as in being higher if he does well, then I hope it's a high one (if it goes higher than 7).

ivotuk

Reaction score
Isaiah Battle selected in the 5th Round by the St Louis Rams

He went in the Supplemental Draft because of off field issues, and throwing an uppercut on the field.

At 6'7" and 290 pounds, he needs to put on some weight.

Battle improved as the 2014 season progressed, and by the end of the year, he was a good left tackle for Clemson. Battle has excellent length with the quickness and athleticism to protect the edge.

He is quick to handle speed rushers and does a nice job of sustaining his blocks once he gets his hands on the defender. Battle can hit kick-out blocks and get to the second level. Overall, he was a balanced blocker who improved with experience.

As a run- and pass-blocker, Battle needs more power. He should gain weight and fill out his frame. Battle needs more strength to move defenders in the ground game and anchor in the pass rush.If Battle were to be placed at right tackle, he definitely would need to get a lot stronger for the pros.

In the NFL, Battle has the skill set to be a starting left tackle. The left side is a better fit for him immediately in 2015 if he is forced to play.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016ibattle.php

A Scouting Report on him:

Isaiah Battle Scouting Report

Hello Broncos Fans!

As you’ve probably heard, Isaiah Battle is entering the 2015 supplemental draft. Before we even decide if he’s worth a pic, we need to see some tape to know what kind of talent he is. As regular commenter VonSwenson pointed out,

There’s so little info on him; I can’t see where he’s that highly rated. No Wikipedia article, Walter Football has him as the #5 tackle prospect. I know that good tackles are hard to find (where are you Lonestar?) but a second round pick is a pretty high chip to play.

https://in-thinair.com/2015/06/27/isaia ... ng-report/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Battle (6-foot-6 1/8, 312 pounds) went through a workout that was held indoors and run on FieldTurf.

Battle ran the 40-yard dash in 5.29 and 5.21 seconds. He had a 24 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-5 broad jump. He performed 12 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, but had this exercise cut short because of a cramp in his arm.

Battle has an 85 1/4-inch wing span and 35 3/8-inch arms.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ay-workout

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Alright...which shameless .NET member was this?

21463224_1453919211352888_5862472603895520987_n.jpg

massari

Reaction score
Wonder why the Rams and Chiefs gave up on him so quick?

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
massari":2uh018no said:

Chiefs' offensive line is pretty deep, and they like Cameron Irving in the swing tackle role. Not sure why he floundered with the Rams, other than poor conditioning and some injuries, but I suspect coachability is an issue.

Chiefs' 3rd-string LT in preseason could be our best LT.

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully Battle in for Odhiambo this week is one of the changes in offense PC is talking about....and Pocic in for Glowinski.

Seymour

Reaction score
massari":2wivhsit said:
Hopefully Battle in for Odhiambo this week is one of the changes in offense PC is talking about....and Pocic in for Glowinski.

If Pocic is moved up, we will see a roster move getting Hunt back to the 53 first.

Cc5674

Reaction score
I smell a little Petty sunshine pumping, Isiah Battle was drafted in the supplemental draft by the Rams. He wasn’t NFL ready but they had used the pick as a project and he hung on all year. The next season with a full training camp and offseason to address his conditioning he was cut by the Rams even though they were and still are desperately thin at OT. Andy Reid is one of the best O line evaluators in the NFL. The Rams could have been dumb enough to let a good player go but Andy Reid would not make the same mistake for a 7th round conditional pick. Battle may provide another body to cover for the loss of Fant but I don’t think he will ever see much action and despite all his measurables ever be anything more than backup fodder for the Seahawks or any NFL team. Pete is blowing smoke up everyones ass here.

NJlargent

Reaction score
massari":2bjxerr8 said:

Because he is a late round tackle who did not impress anyone to be picked early. Therefore only our people would be excited about him. We are always excited about all of these linemen, but none of them are ever any good.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've found that "What Fans of His Old Team Think" is a pretty good quick-and-dirty test of a player's quality, and...nobody in the Chiefs fan base was sad to see this guy go.

Then again, it's hard to imagine getting worse than Rees.