Object lesson: Be disciplined and true to scheme or be gone.

Jville

Reaction score
Bass signed with Seattle as free agent in May. He got turned inside last weekend when San Francisco’s Carlos Hyde cut back outside of him on a 61-yard run in the first half to set up a 49ers field goal. Seattle was controlling the game until that point, leading 6-0. The Seahawks then had to rally to win its home opener 12-9.

Read more here: [urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article174233236.html#storylink=cpy[/urltargetblank]

Garrison Smith makes a timely return to the 53 for the up coming game with the Titans.

New week ...... new game plan.

hawk45

Reaction score
I thought Kam got fooled and pulled too far outside on that play also but I guess you can't make an example out of Kam :)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawk45":qhnsru91 said:
I thought Kam got fooled and pulled too far outside on that play also but I guess you can't make an example out of Kam :)

Shhhhh.....you want to get Kamtracked???? :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It's the defensive ends responsibility to maintain outside containment and force a ball carrier back inside for team mates to clean up.

Chris Clemons showed how it was done ..... maintaining leverage and stringing out outside runs while team mates rallied to the ball.

When someone up front doesn't do their job, it ruins the play the next line of defense.

mikeak

Reaction score
"Seattle was controlling the game until that point, leading 6-0"

So many things wrong with that sentence

Makes me think of when we controlled a game against Miami and another one against Detroit and they scored and won....

Leading with less than a touchdown no matter how the game is flowing is not control of the game. This is something that I don't think the coaching staff agrees with which is part of our issues. I am hoping we have a team put up a big lead on us so we can win by attacking to score and we win a shootout game instead

brimsalabim

Reaction score
But the offensive line, TE's, and even running backs can whiff blocks and leave free rushers play after play without so much as a critical word from the staff...

sdog1981

Reaction score
brimsalabim":334qbv0r said:
But the offensive line, TE's, and even running backs can whiff blocks and leave free rushers play after play without so much as a critical word from the staff...

This quote from Warren Sapp sums up what is going on with this Seahawks team.

"But he was fired in January of 2002; he was the only head coach in Bucs’ history to have a winning record!"

He was fired for a reason: couldn’t get them over the hump. “He let the offense relax too much,” said defensive captain Warren Sapp.

“It always felt like the offense wasn’t held to the same standards we were held too, and there was tension.”

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
All of today's transactions addressed the defense. The offense is on a completely different development curve.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":zedefo5o said:

And yet we wonder why Sherman loses his mind at times.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Just because no one on offense was cut doesn't mean there won't be changes.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Jville":200nk5md said:
All of today's transactions addressed the defense. The offense is on a completely different development curve.

The offense has lagged behind the defense for the entirety of PC's tenure. It's not like it's been cyclical and there have been years where the offense was ahead of the defense, the offense has been graded on a curve for years and years and that's why the defensive players are frustrated.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
ducks41468":1wsnisou said:
Jville":1wsnisou said:

The offense has lagged behind the defense for the entirety of PC's tenure. It's not like it's been cyclical and there have been years where the offense was ahead of the defense, the offense has been graded on a curve for years and years and that's why the defensive players are frustrated.
Your "defensive frustrated" scenario is a myth propagated by social media. You heard Sherm say he didn't want to see a pass from the 1 and Earl saying the defense knows that the team is built around there strengths. The rest is just conjecture and rumormill material.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ducks41468":31pmoza1 said:
Jville":31pmoza1 said:

IMO, a reset on offense coincided with a break down of the body of Marshawn Lynch. The defense has been challenged. But, it has not been forced to reset. To reiterate, the two are on different development paths. I have no doubt there will be independent transactions on offense in the near future. Today's 53 transaction is about a change Clint Hurtt made. I think of it as an indication of where Clint Hurtt might be going with his defensive line.

The nice thing about bringing Garrison Smith up onto the 53 is that it gives Clint Hurtt the numbers to explore what more they might have at 5 technique in Sheldon Richardson or possibly Nazair Jones. The Titans did rack up some nice rushing yardage in their last outing. Today's transactions and this Sunday's opponent invite an opportunity to add an additional wrinkle to an expanding 2017 defense. It is certainly something they have talked about on many occasions for 2017.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If you listen closely to Pete's press conferences they are often phrased around the defense. What the defense could have done to win the game, if they had just done this or that the other team wouldn't have scored. As if the team should expect to win every game 3-0. It's really kind of weird.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":8x1es6lh said:
brimsalabim":8x1es6lh said:

This quote from Warren Sapp sums up what is going on with this Seahawks team.

"But he was fired in January of 2002; he was the only head coach in Bucs’ history to have a winning record!"

He was fired for a reason: couldn’t get them over the hump. “He let the offense relax too much,” said defensive captain Warren Sapp.

“It always felt like the offense wasn’t held to the same standards we were held too, and there was tension.”

I remember that quote. Although I had forgotten who to attribute it to.

We've seen this before. Even in reverse with Holmgren. I expect that happens with whatever type of head coach one hires. Holmgren was very tough on his offense. Their standard was one of an offensive mastermind. And truth be told, in Green Bay his style worked because at that time he was a first time Coordinator to HC hire and Fritz Shurmur had far greater autonomy within the structure there as defensive coordinator. And further, Ron Wolf was the ultimate neutral buffer between the two halves of the team. There wasn't an ability to imprint a lopsided identity for the team because the overlord of the organization was neutral.

With our structure here, that will never happen. Whether it was Holmgren as uberlord of operations, or Carroll in the same role.

Seattle plays offense like a defensive team. Everything they do including their approach to winning is aimed to augment the defense's efficacy. Seattle doesn't take risks. Seattle doesn't want to open the offense up. Seattle doesn't want to score 30+ points. They want to control clock. Limit mistakes even at the expense of scoring points, and play field position. All elements aimed at making the game easier for the defense.

Seattle does suffer from this relationship. We see the evidence for it constantly. And pretty much every fan out there can sense the long running tension between the two halves of this team.

Schneider, as good as he is, cannot be a moderating figure between a HC and his coordinator counterpart. Because the organizational structure doesn't allow for it. Schneider is merely the managerial extension of Carroll. There is no real autonomy for our OC. I put that firmly on Pete. He is not Belichick who is equally a defensively focused as Carroll. But he also gives his offensive counterparts autonomy to play offense as they see fit. He doesn't force a mandate down their throats to protect his vested interest in defense.

I'm not suggesting Pete do this per se. The worst thing any coach can do is not be true to their own self. This is part and parcel to the Carroll experience. And that experience has resulting in a great team and organization. But I do believe that the tension and lack of offensive quality begins and ends with Pete's original mandate for how to build his teams. I don't expect it to get better. Nor do I expect any offensive coordinator to have any real prospects to advance in their coaching careers. Because they don't get to put their mark on their product. It's stunted intentionally by Pete.

Ultimately I expect our offense to always be the red headed stepchild in this organization. Much like our defense was when Holmgren was here. Complaints about the offense really should be directed at Carroll himself. Because he intentionally has built a framework to retard the offense in virtually every way. Resources. Talent retainment. Creative license. Confidence and morale.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sensational points Attyla. And see that's why I think Bevell does such a sensational job within the framework of what Pete allows. You have to admit, that would be a tough task. Many wouldn't be up to operating under those types of restrictions. Same would hold true for Russ in many ways.
That's why I think this rehashed talk about a chasm in the locker room is hooey. The defense knows how the team operates and doesn't expect 30 points on the board every week. Don't put them in poor field position, which happened in Week 1, and get them some rest and they're happy.

But yeah Attyla, you hit it on the head from all angles :2thumbs:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wow this went sideways into conspiracy realm in a hurry.

There is a difference between losing your one on one battle and blowing your assignment.
One gets you coached and eventually moved to backup status, the other gets you cut.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Counterpoint.

We play Tennessee this week. They have a good to great offensive line and will attempt to run it down our throats. Exotic smashmouth. Thunder and thunder.

We had 3 true defensive tackle on the roster. Going to need more to keep rotating and keep guys fresh. Hence the David Bass for Harrison Smith switch.

Just my 2 cents.

Seymour

Reaction score
Excellent post Atta. I agree with pretty much everything you laid out there also. :2thumbs:

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Jville":80mp7y06 said:
ducks41468":80mp7y06 said:
Jville":80mp7y06 said:

IMO, a reset on offense coincided with a break down of the body of Marshawn Lynch. The defense has been challenged. But, it has not been forced to reset. .
His body looks real broke down in Oakland ... the old Seahawks died when marshawn retired