Garrison Smith promoted, Davis Bass released

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't know if Bass is PS eligible?

Sure liked what he showed in Pre-season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
When the team gives up a 61 yard running play b/c someone failed to play their position as coached there usually are consequences.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
That's a bummer. I really liked Bass. Would rather get rid of McKissic than Bass.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Keep having this dream that McDowell will come back before the end of the year

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone know what the knock on Bass was, for the team to push him out the door?
He looked great in PreSeason, yeah, I know, so what.

Jets picked him up in a hurry.

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, found the thread that had more details on Bass. Basically he did not play true to scheme on the Carlos Hyde 61 yard run vs SF in week 2. That is a big no-no on Seahawks D. So I'm guessing the not playing true to scheme, freelancing too often may not have been an isolated issue for Bass.

The other problem seems to be Bass is a DE type and we need more DT rotation bodies. And he is competing with Avril, Bennett, Clark, but apparently isn't versatile enough as a 3-tech to spell Richardson or Naz Jones there.

Too bad, he looked good at times. I understand he is a 5th year player and not practice squad eligible; moot, since Jets signed him.

He got a sack for the Jets in his first game with them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bass got picked up fairly quickly by Jets. He probably felt a bit like scapegoat after the 49ers game. Yes he made mistakes but Seahawks just gave up 195 yards rushing to the Titans the following week (after Bass was gone). The run defense needs to be improved drastically after the last two weeks results.