In praise of Darrell Bevell

sdog1981

Reaction score
I am 100% the fire Bevell club. BUT on Sunday, September 17th, 2017 125 PST (1325 for those 24-hour clock types) Bevell was not the problem. The parts of the game that Bevell could control worked. The Seahawks had a plan, attack new DE's with rollouts and quick passes. Bevell ran a good mix of plays and attacked the 49ers D at different levels all game. But why did it look like crap? Drops killed this team on Sunday and Bevell can't control that. This games score looks completely different if they don't drop those chain moving 3rd down passes or drop those TD passes in the first half. The Bevell part of the game Sunday worked but it also illustrates what frustrates me about Bevell, he had these plays and concepts week one why did he not bust them out then? Pete and Bevell want to control the ball and win every game 28-7 (i.e. one TD per qtr) with long drives that eat up clock and take the life out of the opponent. The game plan that was put into place this past Sunday was one that can be replicated and refined to get this offense to level it needs to get to.

SIDE NOTES:

The Seahawks ran 40 plays in the first half. They ran 48 plays total in week one.

This week was the first opening drive that ended in a score since week 13 of 2016.

Russell Wilson has a really hard time playing in the rain. His third qtr was awful he was overthrowing open receivers. Once it stopped raining in the 4th qtr he got his throws under control. The rainy games that stick out to me in recent years are 2013 vs. Arizona (11/27 and less than 100 net yards passing) a game in which Palmer threw 4 int's, the playoff rematch vs. New Orleans (9/18 for 103 yards), 2014 vs. the 3-13 Oakland (17/35 for under 200 yards), 2014 vs. NY Giants (10/17 with 2 INTs made up for it was 107 yards rushing), and 2015 vs. St. Louis (committed two fumbles and threw a pick).

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I am on the front line of the fire bevell fire cable lynch mob, but I agree with you. Getting into specifics (which the bevell cheerleaders can't/won't do), he did exactly what I/we have been clamoring about. Short passes while sending 2 receivers wide and deep to take the corners and safeties out of play, get the RB's outside to force the DL to watch the edges rather than have a free pass to rush, have wilson actually keep the ball on the blank side so they have to have one or 2 spies on him etc. This is why the first drive was successful. He still has zero red zone plays and is horrible at gameplanning once we pass the 20 yard line, but hey, baby steps.

The loss sunday was lack of players execution and Cables inability to scout, train and field a line. Bevell was off the hook this time. As he has been horrible for way too long, I still would like to see him gone unless he can string together a few games where he actually does well at the job he is paid millions for, but he di fine sunday other than redzone scheme.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":20ma0nht said:
<about bevel> but he di(d) fine sunday other than redzone scheme.

He did great until it really mattered! But cable is such hot garbage that bevel is off the hook. And rightly so, except in the red zone (you know, where TDs happen...). Gawd, our standards have returned to the 90s! Maybe this means I'll be able to afford season tickets again, just like then.

Think I'll do this :irishdrinkers: until I do this :pukeface:

cymatica

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2c30sixf said:
johnnyfever":2c30sixf said:
<about bevel> but he di(d) fine sunday other than redzone scheme.

He did great until it really mattered! But cable is such hot garbage that bevel is off the hook. And rightly so, except in the red zone (you know, where TDs happen...). Gawd, our standards have returned to the 90s! Maybe this means I'll be able to afford season tickets again, just like then.

Think I'll do this :irishdrinkers: until I do this :pukeface:

Bevell did fine in the redzone, there were 2 drops on 2 good touchdown passes. Yesterday he called some damn good drives and the gameplan looked solid. Wilson was overthrowing, the o line still sucked, and the drops.

Bevell goes up one notch. That takes him up to -20.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":izwx9d2k said:
I am 100% the fire Bevell club. BUT on Sunday, September 17th, 2017 125 PST (1325 for those 24-hour clock types) Bevell was not the problem. The parts of the game that Bevell could control worked. The Seahawks had a plan, attack new DE's with rollouts and quick passes. Bevell ran a good mix of plays and attacked the 49ers D at different levels all game. But why did it look like crap? Drops killed this team on Sunday and Bevell can't control that. This games score looks completely different if they don't drop those chain moving 3rd down passes or drop those TD passes in the first half. The Bevell part of the game Sunday worked but it also illustrates what frustrates me about Bevell, he had these plays and concepts week one why did he not bust them out then? Pete and Bevell want to control the ball and win every game 28-7 (i.e. one TD per qtr) with long drives that eat up clock and take the life out of the opponent. The game plan that was put into place this past Sunday was one that can be replicated and refined to get this offense to level it needs to get to.

SIDE NOTES:

The Seahawks ran 40 plays in the first half. They ran 48 plays total in week one.

This week was the first opening drive that ended in a score since week 13 of 2016.

Russell Wilson has a really hard time playing in the rain. His third qtr was awful he was overthrowing open receivers. Once it stopped raining in the 4th qtr he got his throws under control. The rainy games that stick out to me in recent years are 2013 vs. Arizona (11/27 and less than 100 net yards passing) a game in which Palmer threw 4 int's, the playoff rematch vs. New Orleans (9/18 for 103 yards), 2014 vs. the 3-13 Oakland (17/35 for under 200 yards), 2014 vs. NY Giants (10/17 with 2 INTs made up for it was 107 yards rushing), and 2015 vs. St. Louis (committed two fumbles and threw a pick).

When his game plan was failing to produce TDs in the first half... what adjustments did he make in the second half? ZERO. Every player has bad days, GREAT coaches make adjustments to overcome that adversity. "There are no bad teams only bad leaders-Jocko Willink"

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bevell was fine with his opening scripted plays. After that he had to use only his own brain and failed.

Wilson had to save him in the end.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bev made adjustments all game. In the second half, it was obvious the gameplan would be to go with a big portion of Carson to take advantage of a worn out Niners front. That worked.
And on the game-winner, the personnel grouping had PRich in ISO coverage so that Russ, after playing Frogger with the Niners defense, was able to anticipate where the pattern would take Richardson and made a nice throw to get it there.

Bevell has been making these types of adjustments all along. Not every play is going to work, but by and large they do. Pete realizes this too.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":dxrr60iu said:
When his game plan was failing to produce TDs in the first half... what adjustments did he make in the second half? ZERO. Every player has bad days, GREAT coaches make adjustments to overcome that adversity.

The plays were still working in the second half guys were getting open just Wilson could not complete a pass to save his life in the 3rd qtr, that was not on Bevell. McAvoy dropped a pass in FG range on 3rd down Bevell can't catch the passes. Week one was on him, week two? That was on the players.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ob7g5yy said:
Bev made adjustments all game. In the second half, it was obvious the gameplan would be to go with a big portion of Carson to take advantage of a worn out Niners front. That worked.
And on the game-winner, the personnel grouping had PRich in ISO coverage so that Russ, after playing Frogger with the Niners defense, was able to anticipate where the pattern would take Richardson and made a nice throw to get it there.

Bevell has been making these types of adjustments all along. Not every play is going to work, but by and large they do. Pete realizes this too.

Bev called a good game by the looks of things, really showed he learned from last week. Unfortunately, this offense just can't withstand mistakes from the QB, WR, and the ever-present poor blocking. It just can't. The blocking improved a bit, but to compensate the catching and throwing got much worse.

I have to disagree with your assessment on the TD play. It looks like a standard 4 verts play where some of the receivers go to the back of the endzone and some cut off their routes at the goal line and turn around. The RB runs into the flat. Everyone is covered. No one is open by the time Wilson is under pressure and has to pull off his magic trick as PRich heads to the endzone sideline on that scramble drill game. I don't think you can give Bev credit for that.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/19/16 ... -the-49ers

Play #3

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":2xukm9aj said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2xukm9aj said:
When his game plan was failing to produce TDs in the first half... what adjustments did he make in the second half? ZERO. Every player has bad days, GREAT coaches make adjustments to overcome that adversity.

The plays were still working in the second half guys were getting open just Wilson could not complete a pass to save his life in the 3rd qtr, that was not on Bevell. McAvoy dropped a pass in FG range on 3rd down Bevell can't catch the passes. Week one was on him, week two? That was on the players.

So when players don't produce, the offensive coordinator should not adapt the the plan? Find something that can be executed. That mindset is why TDs aren't hitting the board. That frozen mindset is why pop warner teams have a better offensive line. All plays score TDs on the whiteboard.

seabowl

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1bbabn7v said:
sdog1981":1bbabn7v said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1bbabn7v said:

So when players don't produce, the offensive coordinator should not adapt the the plan? Find something that can be executed. That mindset is why TDs aren't hitting the board. That frozen mindset is why pop warner teams have a better offensive line. All plays score TDs on the whiteboard.

Agree. There were a few dropped passes on a crappy day, it's expected. You would think that a traditional screen pass here and there would be called to maybe keep the D line of our opponents in check. With a crappy OL 3 step drops minimize pressure on Russ and keeps the chains moving.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2g9asx59 said:
Siouxhawk":2g9asx59 said:

Bev called a good game by the looks of things, really showed he learned from last week. Unfortunately, this offense just can't withstand mistakes from the QB, WR, and the ever-present poor blocking. It just can't. The blocking improved a bit, but to compensate the catching and throwing got much worse.

I have to disagree with your assessment on the TD play. It looks like a standard 4 verts play where some of the receivers go to the back of the endzone and some cut off their routes at the goal line and turn around. The RB runs into the flat. Everyone is covered. No one is open by the time Wilson is under pressure and has to pull off his magic trick as PRich heads to the endzone sideline on that scramble drill game. I don't think you can give Bev credit for that.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/19/16 ... -the-49ers

Play #3
Thanks for the video feed. That helps.
You are right in that the initial scheme on that play was thwarted by the pocket collapsing, forcing Russ to buy time. But the back end of that play when everyone was in scramble mode was also by design. They practice that. So Russ knew he would have PRich along the left sideline in iso coverage, so that's where he went with it. Game winner!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smellyman":3dhhrrkf said:
Bevell was fine with his opening scripted plays. After that he had to use only his own brain and failed.

Wilson had to save him in the end.
BINGO!

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2b0i9hof said:

Bevell had nothing to do with the game winner. The play he had drawn up failed, so Russ ran out of the pocket, Richardson went into "run around and get open mode", Russ threw while being tackled and prich made a great catch.

No where did Bevell have any part, other than the failure of the original play all, of that TD.

In Russ's Monday press conference he goes over in detail what happened, so you can't call reality opinion like you normally do.

Bev is still not good at his job, and is atrocious at making adjustments, but the first drive of this game he looked like an actual OC. That is all this thread is saying, that other things were larger factors and Bevell didn't do too bad of a job in this game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on, I'm not a Bevell fan at all. But he did dial up some good plays on that final drive, and on the first couple drives that could have EASILY ended up in two touchdowns, were it not for dropped passes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":k63cdiz4 said:
Siouxhawk":k63cdiz4 said:

Bevell had nothing to do with the game winner. The play he had drawn up failed, so Russ ran out of the pocket, Richardson went into "run around and get open mode", Russ threw while being tackled and prich made a great catch.

No where did Bevell have any part, other than the failure of the original play all, of that TD.

In Russ's Monday press conference he goes over in detail what happened, so you can't call reality opinion like you normally do.

Bev is still not good at his job, and is atrocious at making adjustments, but the first drive of this game he looked like an actual OC. That is all this thread is saying, that other things were larger factors and Bevell didn't do too bad of a job in this game.
Sorry, but you are wrong. In practice, they plan and scheme for these contingencies all the time. There was an article out there that detailed this. The play runs its course and Russ goes into scramble mode, sure, but the receivers have certain spots of the field to get to so Russ has some options once he breaks contain. It's the play within a play.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29hx26cd said:
johnnyfever":29hx26cd said:
Siouxhawk":29hx26cd said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. In practice, they plan and scheme for these contingencies all the time. There was an article out there that detailed this. The play runs its course and Russ goes into scramble mode, sure, but the receivers have certain spots of the field to get to so Russ has some options once he breaks contain. It's the play within a play.

The recievers trail the qb. There are no scramble routes, it's based on Wilson's adlibing

StoneCold

Reaction score
johnnyfever":24j7vx05 said:
I am on the front line of the fire bevell fire cable lynch mob, but I agree with you. Getting into specifics (which the bevell cheerleaders can't/won't do), he did exactly what I/we have been clamoring about. Short passes while sending 2 receivers wide and deep to take the corners and safeties out of play, get the RB's outside to force the DL to watch the edges rather than have a free pass to rush, have wilson actually keep the ball on the blank side so they have to have one or 2 spies on him etc. This is why the first drive was successful. He still has zero red zone plays and is horrible at gameplanning once we pass the 20 yard line, but hey, baby steps.

The loss sunday was lack of players execution and Cables inability to scout, train and field a line. Bevell was off the hook this time. As he has been horrible for way too long, I still would like to see him gone unless he can string together a few games where he actually does well at the job he is paid millions for, but he di fine sunday other than redzone scheme.

Sometimes when you win, you lose.