Tom Cable Week 3 Press Conference 9/20/17

Jville

Reaction score
Some of us like to hear what Tom has to say ....... there are plenty of other threads available for trashing coaches

Tom Cable singled out Oday Aboushi and Luke Joeckel as being particularly helpful in this weeks preparation because of their familiarity with the Titans. That's important facing Dick LeBeau this week. Aboushi is considered the better pass blocker at right guard.

He also mentioned some missed reads in last weeks game. After putting the ball on the ground, Thomas Rawls missed a couple reads and essentially needs to settle down. I thought one of those missed reads could have gone for an explosive run.

Tom Cable Week 3 Press Conference 9/20/17 >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/09/20/tom-cable-week-3-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Low band width with out commercial MP3 link >>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2017/09-September/170920-cable-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

Erebus

Reaction score
I find it convenient that we signed two former AFC South players for the year we play the AFC South.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
[youtube]zj04sVbxItY[/youtube]

I don't agree with some of the over-the-top criticisms of Cable. He's a strong OL coach who is trying to coach up garbage.

However, I think people should be allowed to express their opinions (and frustrations) about the team in any thread.

Cable has the worst starting LT in the league, and the alternatives are slim. Now, he is forced to play Oday Aboushi at RG due to Glowinski's poor pass blocking. Hint: Aboushi is not a sound pass blocker either. He will be the worst starting RG in the league.

Joeckel will likely struggle this week against Jurrell Casey.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Jville":2o0yv1pw said:
He also mentioned some missed reads in last weeks game. After putting the ball on the ground, Thomas Rawls missed a couple reads and essentially needs to settle down. I thought one of those missed reads could have gone for an explosive run.

I feel like Rawls had this issue last year after the week 2 leg break. When he came back, he was pressing. Once he and the line were sympatico, he blew up in the playoffs.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
jdemps":3scdnjuq said:
Jville":3scdnjuq said:

I feel like Rawls had this issue last year after the week 2 leg break. When he came back, he was pressing. Once he and the line were sympatico, he blew up in the playoffs.

Your right. We have seen him over pumped in the past. I have no doubt the coaching staff will settle him down and get him rolling again. Rawls brings so much energy to the offense. Looking forward to seeing this run game evolve.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Another interesting point is the bit about Odhiambo starting rough and then improving over the course of the game. Given that he's only had two career starts he still has to think too hard about what's going on and that can make him look worse physically then he is.

I would like to see Aboushi get a shot this week as well. He could be a lateral move individually and still give the unit a boost as another veteran presence with lots of experience against the Titans.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
hawknation2017":qnwxwq9a said:

I don't agree with some of the over-the-top criticisms of Cable. He's a strong OL coach who is trying to coach up garbage.

However, I think people should be allowed to express their opinions (and frustrations) about the team in any thread.

Cable has the worst starting LT in the league, and the alternatives are slim. Now, he is forced to play Oday Aboushi at RG due to Glowinski's poor pass blocking. Hint: Aboushi is not a sound pass blocker either. He will be the worst starting RG in the league.

Coach up Garbage?

LT: 3rd rounder
LG:1st rounder
C: 2nd rounder
RG: 4th rounder
RT: 1st rounder

Titans OL (top 3 OL in the league)

LT: 1st rounder
LG: undrafted
C: 4th rounder
RG: undrafted

Raiders OL (Top 3 OL in the league)

LT: undrafted
LG: 2nd rounder
RG: 3rd rounder
RT: 5th rounder

Either we suck at drafting...or we suck at scouting...or we suck at coaching....

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ludakrishna":37tywj8d said:
hawknation2017":37tywj8d said:

Coach up Garbage?

Either we suck at drafting...or we suck at scouting...or we suck at coaching....

Probably a mix of all three.

I thought Ifedi was a bad pick. Still do. I don't think Ifedi can move laterally well. He has stiff hips and not athletically gifted to go snap after snap against much more athletic defensive ends.

IMO tackles need to be the most athletic players on the offensive line. Solid powerful brute strength with the guards. And center, great communicator and brings the attitude!

My how the mighty have fallen! The Seahawks used to have one of the top offensive lines in the league!

Walter, Hutch, Tobeck, Gray, Locklear....I miss those days we had these guys!!

Lynch would have DESTROYED with these guys!!

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":3atn6k2o said:
Another interesting point is the bit about Odhiambo starting rough and then improving over the course of the game. Given that he's only had two career starts he still has to think too hard about what's going on and that can make him look worse physically then he is.

I would like to see Aboushi get a shot this week as well. He could be a lateral move individually and still give the unit a boost as another veteran presence with lots of experience against the Titans.

It's clear Pete and Darrell and Tom all work toward developing consensuses. It's most noticeable when all three of them entertain questions on the same day. In Pete's press conference, he mentioned his thought that blocking and tackling begins to degrade as they get into the season because of CBA limited padded practices. In most cases, developing linemen certainly takes a lot more time and patience.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2w63zf4x said:
hawknation2017":2w63zf4x said:

Coach up Garbage?

Or, WE AS FANS "Suck" at understanding the intricacies of what it takes to Coach at the NFL level .....Question....How many SB wins do the Raiders & Titans have in the last 5 years?...Hell. how many playoff games have they won in the last 10?.....Fans don't KNOW what they think they know LOL.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville,

Thanks for posting this and putting up a minor synopsis of what they are thinking. I appreciate it. I am having problems this year with the pressers unless I get them on facebook. So If I get one, I get lucky. Again thanks for the assistance. Press on buddy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville for posting this presser.

I agree there ought to be at least a few threads where those with the Fire Cable/ Fire Bevell agendas should not post that type of post.

Commentary on the presser should be free game though.

I always find it interesting what Coach Cable thinks is going on even if his thinking doesn't always reliably translate onto the field.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Here is the rub. The Seahawks are spending a lot less than the league average on offensive linemen. League average for OL is $25 million. We are spending just $16.5 million, which is less than 10% of the cap.

Raiders, Eagles, Browns, and Steelers have the four best offensive lines in the NFL because they PAY for good blockers.

Oid3iBM

I personally think Rees Odhiambo was a bad pick in the 3rd round, but the vast majority of 3rd round picks fail in the NFL. That is why I felt we needed to invest heavily in the offensive line in this year's draft, which we failed to do.

Britt was a good pick. Ifedi has a chance to be a good pick. Joeckel has looked OK as a "prove it" free agent, who was already considered a bust as a high first rounder. That still leaves two spots void, including the all-important LT position.

adeltaY

Reaction score
What does the fact that the Raiders and Tits don't have recent or any SB wins got to do with the fact that their OL are good? If anything, both those teams are trending upward towards SB contention.

They area bit unfair comps IMO. Tits have two high first round draft picks as their tackles. Raiders pretty much bought their OL in FA. Only drafted Gabe Jackson, though he is admittedly a stud.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3bnpw9ah said:
ludakrishna":3bnpw9ah said:
hawknation2017":3bnpw9ah said:

Coach up Garbage?

Or, WE AS FANS "Suck" at understanding the intricacies of what it takes to Coach at the NFL level .....Question....How many SB wins do the Raiders & Titans have in the last 5 years?...Hell. how many playoff games have they won in the last 10?.....Fans don't KNOW what they think they know LOL.

So you're implying because we won a SB 4 years ago our OL evaluation/selection/coaching is beyond constructive critique? The poster gave a detailed account of the draft status of our team and 2 top OLs in the league and a rational deduction that our OL issues must be either 1 of 3 logical areas. Yet you laugh at him because we won a SB in 2013 and he's not an NFL coach?? At what point did he ever place the sole blame on coaching?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
adeltaY":1e4m8bc4 said:
What does the fact that the Raiders and Tits don't have recent or any SB wins got to do with the fact that their OL are good? If anything, both those teams are trending upward towards SB contention.

They area bit unfair comps IMO. Tits have two high first round draft picks as their tackles. Raiders pretty much bought their OL in FA. Only drafted Gabe Jackson, though he is admittedly a stud.

I was with you until...Tits.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
What does Joeckel being a 1st round pick have to do with how good of a player he is?

Answer: nothing.

Joeckel is a middling, average talent (at best) who was signed to a one-year contract. They did the least they could do in free agency to address the offensive line without doing nothing at all.

But without Joeckel, this line would be even more scary bad. Right now, Joeckel is one of our three best linemen . . . because the other TWO positions are trash.

Seymour

Reaction score
Joeckel making $8M per year at guard puts him close enough for a 1st round pick by our staff as far as compensation goes. In other words, he is being compensated for his draft position at least in part. A 1st fits.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":98z191hw said:
Joeckel making $8M per year at guard puts him close enough for a 1st round pick by our staff as far as compensation goes. In other words, he is being compensated for his draft position at least in part. A 1st fits.

This is a bit of a non-sequitur, but I'll play. TWELVE free agent linemen signed for more guaranteed money than Joeckel did. The 12th OL would not be a 1st rounder in any given draft class.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... sive-line/

The supply of offensive linemen is scarce. Economics dictates that teams would need to be more aggressive to produce successful offensive lines. Low supply and high demand means higher prices. This is why the Seahawks NEEDED to be more aggressive in the draft. Instead, they said screw it, took their ball, and went home.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The table above tells the story. The team spends less on their OLine than any other team in the league

The draft position of the various players means little b/c several of the picks were picked when they were b/c the team didn't have a pick in the next round ando/or there was a huge perceived talent drop off to the point when the team picked again or the player was not even picked by the team.

Joeckel was a castoff from the Jaguars and considered a bust despite being a very early 1st Rd. Pick. Draft position means little in terms of whether a player can play pro ball. Okung was injury free in college but lost to the team for 28 % of the games he was here. A similar injury propensity applied to Carp and Unger was becoming injury prone. Clearly upon reflection Joeckel was probably over drafted. Maybe he can develop into a capable LG like Gallery did. He's clearly a roll of the dice but he has good athleticism and seemingly only needs to play stronger. Ifedi is improving slowly in a new position. Two seasons ago the board wanted Britt run out of town, then he became a C and is now considered a top level player at the position, I think year two will show significant improvement for Ifedi. Odhiambo is late to the party after the injury just to Fant and really only has just 2 games under his belt, sadly I don't think he looks like a T to me. He'd have been a 4th Rd pick if the team had Glowinski seems as if he still in his 3rd season isn't yet ready to start.

Suspect Aboushi will start at RG over Glowinski and Odhiambo may get the hook too hard to know which of the other 2 T's may get the nod.

There was OLine improvement this last weekend and there will hopefully be more on Sunday. With hope the play calling will focus upon what they can do instead of what they'd like to do.

We need to show patience, frustrating as it is