Is there a reason they could not try Graham out as a WR?

BigBill1945

Reaction score
The biggest issue from what I see is he is hurting us because he cannot block or check down. Last year when he was out we seemed to do better. That has to tell you something. He is a great player in the right offense. I have heard all of the various reasons he has not done well. I do not want to get rid of him but this guy is 6'7" and can leap. He is not like your typical TE ala Gronkowski or even Willson. Has anyone suggested he be tried out a few times as a WR? Or is this just a waste of time? I do not have answers. But I was curious as to what we are going to with this guy. Many of the sports talk guys are saying cut bait.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I don't understand it either. He is immediately our best option at WR, well, except for the fact that Doug is a better run blocker and runs cleaner routes. Our coaching staff's method of dealing with the round peg/square hole problem is to keep pounding on the peg until it finally fits. What a waste of an amazing talent.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
He's contributing mightily and will continue to be a big part of our offense going forward.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Or maybe it's just lazy armchair quarterback analysis that's on the repiticiously stupid side. I'm not saying he won't ever be split outside, but his size and versatility require him to pass protect too to make up for the inadiquacies of our line at times.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":sk2778zx said:
He's contributing mightily and will continue to be a big part of our offense going forward.

Have you bothered to watch a game or even look at his stats this year? Contributed mightily to what....losing?

Yes...PLEASE Jimmy....continue to get your 1 yard per game, miss blocks and "contribute mightily".

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":qgrpavj3 said:
Siouxhawk":qgrpavj3 said:

Have you bothered to watch a game or even look at his stats this year? Contributed mightily to what....losing?

Yes...PLEASE Jimmy....continue to get your 1 yard per game, miss blocks and "contribute mightily".
It sounds like it maybe you who doesn't delve much past the boxscore. Sure, Jimmy has missed a few blocks, but he's executed a hell of a lot more. He's taking on the Kearse role now in many ways with downfield rubs and picks that spring guys like Doug, Lockett and Carson into space. He needs to get his head right too to start making some catches. Three big drops in 2 weeks won't cut it.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":z6d72hin said:
Or maybe it's just lazy armchair quarterback analysis that's on the repiticiously stupid side. I'm not saying he won't ever be split outside, but his size and versatility require him to pass protect too to make up for the inadiquacies of our line at times.

That's just nonsense. If he was split out at WR and occupied that spot we could bring in a blocking TE and not have Graham worry about it.

Or did I miss the chart that stipulates if you're over a certain size you HAVE to pass protect?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2sj0hsvf said:
Siouxhawk":2sj0hsvf said:

That's just nonsense. If he was split out at WR and occupied that spot we could bring in a blocking TE and not have Graham worry about it.

Or did I miss the chart that stipulates if you're over a certain size you HAVE to pass protect?
Do you think we have 12 players on offense? 5 linemen, QB, 2 max pass pro, 3 WR. You're obviously saying sit P Rich to get Jimmy in. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in certain down-and-distance situations.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3sqn70co said:
CodeWarrior":3sqn70co said:
Siouxhawk":3sqn70co said:

Do you think we have 12 players on offense? 5 linemen, QB, 2 max pass pro, 3 WR. You're obviously saying sit P Rich to get Jimmy in. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in certain down-and-distance situations.

Yes, obviously he would be replacing another WR.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Our OC has ZERO creativity. Didn't Greg Cosell at one time say it was the most elementary passing offenses he had ever seen?

The Breh

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":4lcfgfmw said:
Siouxhawk":4lcfgfmw said:

That was the precise reason they drafted Vannett.
I can't comprehend.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I like how he's put in motion to give Russ the indicator as to whether we're facing zone or man coverage.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Jimmy isn't a traditional TE and shouldn't be used that way. He provides no upside being kept inline blocking on passing plays. He should be running the routes Tanner had last week, Vannett/Willson can occupy the 6th blocker role.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":68t0ufnv said:
Seymour":68t0ufnv said:
Siouxhawk":68t0ufnv said:

It sounds like it maybe you who doesn't delve much past the boxscore. Sure, Jimmy has missed a few blocks, but he's executed a hell of a lot more. He's taking on the Kearse role now in many ways with downfield rubs and picks that spring guys like Doug, Lockett and Carson into space. He needs to get his head right too to start making some catches. Three big drops in 2 weeks won't cut it.

Thanks for making my point. Contributing mightily to losing alright.

The blocks and rubs are just psychobabble. Bevell has ruined this guy.....so thanks.

Bevell buys Seattle Slew and turns him into a plow horse. :pukeface:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The Breh":3ldgkl55 said:
CodeWarrior":3ldgkl55 said:
Siouxhawk":3ldgkl55 said:

That was the precise reason they drafted Vannett.
I can't comprehend.
So you comprehend we take PRich out to get Jimmy in? What's your percentage of him taking those snaps from him? 60%? 80%? 100%?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2qxc7kj3 said:
Siouxhawk":2qxc7kj3 said:
Seymour":2qxc7kj3 said:
Siouxhawk":2qxc7kj3 said:

Thanks for making my point. Contributing mightily to losing alright.

The blocks and rubs are just psychobabble. Bevell has ruined this guy.....so thanks.

Bevell buys Seattle Slew and turns him into a plow horse. :pukeface:
Didn't make your point at all. Losing? You must have your satellite mistakenly dialed into the Bears network because the Hawks I know have won more than any other NFC team the last 5 years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2zgcinrh said:
Didn't make your point at all. Losing? You must have your satellite mistakenly dialed into the Bears network because the Hawks I know have won more than any other NFC team the last 5 years.

Sadly the winning record has come more from the reality the team has an exceptional D rather than from the excellence of the O.

I still believe that while Bevell is a creative OC he struggles to effectively use TEs, and can be shown to go away from their use even when they are working.

RussB

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":dxzayy1x said:
He has 9 total yards in 2 games

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3dooy7t6 said:
Siouxhawk":3dooy7t6 said:

Sadly the winning record has come more from the reality the team has an exceptional D rather than from the excellence of the O.

I still believe that while Bevell is a creative OC he struggles to effectively use TEs, and can be shown to go away from their use even when they are working.
Yes, the offense is complementary. I understand that. Everybody understands that. It's how the team is built. But it's still shortsighted to dismiss any role the offense has had in producing wins.

Attyla had a great post getting to the heart of that in another thread.

And I still believe Jimmy will have a big role in this offense, catchwise moreso after our line puts it together.