Schlereth and Cris Carter unload on Seahawks Offense

mistaowen

Reaction score
Bring up good points. Doug Baldwin is one of the best WR in the NFL and he's giving up money to get more defensive players on an already stacked defense. We're already spending a lot on a TE who should be used like a WR but yet he just blocks. This offense benefited so incredibly much from Marshawn being able to take a negative run and turn it into a big gain. I've said this so many times, the scheme sucks. The current offensive roster needs to be a spread style uptempo team. They aren't built to churn out looooooong punishing drives at this point.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The team is severely unbalanced. 70-80 percent of the salary spent on the defense neglects the talent on the offensive side.

The current offensive line is built on leftover scraps and throw away pieces. 4/5 starters on seattles line probably is at best a third stringer on another team or may not even be on a team period.

You cannot win consistently and beat playoff teams if your defense is all you have. At times during games you'll need to sustain offensive drives and score points and not just kick field goals.

IMO in order to fix this problem, the Seahawks may need to trade core defensive players so they can use some of that available money to have a chance at signing some quality offensive lineman during free agency.

It may be better to have a "good" defense, than an "elite" defense.

You get what you pay for! Or in this case, you don't get the talented offensive lineman, cause you're not willing to go cheaper on your defense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I disagree with you guys. It's not as easy as you, or others try to make it sound. Especially when you have double digit wins every year. You draft high.

Defense wins Championships

Who won the Superbowl last year? The #1 Scoring Defense in the NFL. New England.

Who were scary teams to go against last year in the playoffs?

Denver #4

Dallas, #5

Minnesota #6

Kansas City #7

This team will be fine. We have one of the best Offensive Line coaches in the NFL, but fans have little patience and they want to fire everybody. Just like the Eagles fired Andy Reid.

Pete's philosophy has not changed. Play good defense, develop the run game, and don't make turnovers.

This Offensive Line will improve every week until they get to league average, which is plenty good for this team. Remember, we lost our Left Tackle at the beginning of the season, the guy who took all of the reps during preseason.

I just don't understand all of the anger. This is nothing new. The team starts slow, then lights it up.

The kind of success we've had is RARE in the NFL.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":e5dql6d4 said:
The team is severely unbalanced. 70-80 percent of the salary spent on the defense neglects the talent on the offensive side.

The numbers aren't quite accurate, but the sentiment is relatively applicable. 56.13% of the cap is spent on Defense (highest proportion in the league) and 36.80% on offense (30th in the league). The remainder is spent on special teamers, players on IR, and the practice squad.

Interestingly, 11.32% of the cap is spent on Russell alone. Non-QB offensive positions get just 25.48% of the cap.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ivotuk":12iwbhti said:
I disagree with you guys. It's not as easy as you, or others try to make it sound. Especially when you have double digit wins every year. You draft high.

Defense wins Championships

Who won the Superbowl last year? The #1 Scoring Defense in the NFL. New England.

Who were scary teams to go against last year in the playoffs?

Denver #4

Dallas, #5

Minnesota #6

Kansas City #7

This team will be fine. We have one of the best Offensive Line coaches in the NFL, but fans have little patience and they want to fire everybody. Just like the Eagles fired Andy Reid.

Pete's philosophy has not changed. Play good defense, develop the run game, and don't make turnovers.

This Offensive Line will improve every week until they get to league average, which is plenty good for this team. Remember, we lost our Left Tackle at the beginning of the season, the guy who took all of the reps during preseason.

I just don't understand all of the anger. This is nothing new. The team starts slow, then lights it up.

The kind of success we've had is RARE in the NFL.

Although, I agree with some your points, the Seahawks cannot afford slow starts. Slow starts can turn into early losses. If the Hawks hope to get a first round bye, they can't afford to lose more than 2-3 games. Slow starts need to be avoided at all cost cause it may be the difference in playoff seeding.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man........The rams are carving up this "tough" Niners defense right now. Really puts into perspective how much our offense is struggling right now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Talent wise the Seahawks are in the upper half of the league on the offensive side of the ball so the argument that we spend more money on defense doesn't hold up to me. You have zero excuse to not score points with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, Prosise etc. Team with much less are doing much better. We need to self scout and figure it out.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3ailyej3 said:
Man........The rams are carving up this "tough" Niners defense right now. Really puts into perspective how much our offense is struggling right now.

I agree, and it's in SF as opposed to us needing Russ magic to score a single TD to pull out the win at home. Really disheartening to see. Very little pressure on Goff either.

RussB

Reaction score
Should have just given a fat contract to whitworth. Rams did now they have some damn protection.

cymatica

Reaction score
They make a good point. If you spend the money on a qb, spend money to protect him, not on skill positions

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":2n3itlai said:
They make a good point. If you spend the money on a qb, spend money to protect him, not on skill positions

Yep. They make it 2 years later than many of us also.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
austinslater25":3tskc6di said:
Talent wise the Seahawks are in the upper half of the league on the offensive side of the ball so the argument that we spend more money on defense doesn't hold up to me. You have zero excuse to not score points with Wilson, Graham, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, Prosise etc. Team with much less are doing much better. We need to self scout and figure it out.
Those guys doing anything are a product of the offensive line.

You can't start at step three if you don't have step one completed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ivotuk":rbjhacmo said:
This team will be fine. We have one of the best Offensive Line coaches in the NFL,

You lost me there.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
cymatica":3uhkfdgw said:

Yup, It's not like New England has world beaters at WR. For years he has made average WRs play like All-Pros. A good QB can and should make average weapons above average.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":17wttc9f said:
Yah....K D Wright :141847_bnono: ...... dumbasses.
Clicking on that was a waste of time, there's not a single one of them- NO, not ALL OF THEM TOGETHER are anywhere close to being on the same level as Pete Carroll when it comes to Coaching Championship football.....IF THEY WERE, THEY'D BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFULHEAD COACHES EH??? :stirthepot:

massari

Reaction score
Graham, Lacy, Lane and Joeckel make a combined $26M against the cap this season....put that money into the OL without overpaying for guys like Joeckel.

LG TJ Lang and RG Jahri Evans signed for a COMBINED $11.7M average per year this past off season...why aren't they Seahawks? Probably could've fit in LT Reiff / Whitworth / Beachum as well.

Maybe no one wants to play OL in Seattle....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
austinslater25":3iw28z9y said:
Hahbabahbabababbbbbhaabbahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahaahhha!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2yd5vnbu said:
austinslater25":2yd5vnbu said:
Yah....K D Wright :141847_bnono: ...... dumbasses.
Clicking on that was a waste of time, there's not a single one of them- NO, not ALL OF THEM TOGETHER are anywhere close to being on the same level as Pete Carroll when it comes to Coaching Championship football.....IF THEY WERE, THEY'D BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFULHEAD COACHES EH??? :stirthepot:
And you know far more than they would because they are only former all pro players and top NFL analyst while you slept at a holiday inn express last night.

These guys know what they are talking about and they are spot on with their remarks.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Everything they said was spot on. The scheme worked (as a previous poster stated) when Marshawn was here to help negatives become positives...and maybe the offense can get there again. But, I also agree that it may take longer to get there without a dynamic back like Lynch. I'm also of the opinion that the team will be fine going forward...but also that we should look at more the spread offense, it would definitely help hide the OL deficiencies. New England basically runs that offense and they've had middle of the road players on parts of their OL for years.

Couldn't hurt. We already see the no-huddle offense working on a fairly consistent basis.