Weekest areas

nwHawk

Reaction score
I rewatched last week's game, again, and came away thinking if we limit play by three players we would drastically improve. Jimmy Graham, his effort at the point of attack is just lifeless. Tre Madden needs to play with confidence and thunder or get replaced. Lastly, this one may be a surprise, but Thomas Rawls. He seems like the game is "too fast" for him. He takes too long to process reads and there for often makes the wrong read or true to bounce outside too quickly. The later is what kills a lot of college backs as they try to find success in the NFL.

I rewatched most offensive plays to focus specifically on Joeckel and Glow. Joeckel doesn't seem to have enough power in his power body strength, but does a decent good at combo blocks. Glow is best when it's straight up and simple. Glow is terrible at cut blocks. I'm curious how Glowinski would do as a red zone full back.

sdog1981

Reaction score
nwHawk":3uco37xx said:
Glow is best when it's straight up and simple. Glow is terrible at cut blocks. I'm curious how Glowinski would do as a red zone full back.

At West Vergina Glow ran a gap blocking system which leads to more man to man blocking. Go check out what he did to the Lions in the playoffs.

Here is an article talking about the system West Vergina started running in 2011.

Long story short Cable is using a player from a different system and is attempting to get him to play "his way" without the extra hitting teams need in the offseason.

themunn

Reaction score
nwHawk":e3skgdhh said:
Lastly, this one may be a surprise, but Thomas Rawls. He seems like the game is "too fast" for him. He takes too long to process reads and there for often makes the wrong read or true to bounce outside too quickly. The later is what kills a lot of college backs as they try to find success in the NFL.

Cable alluded to as much during the week, said that he needs to relax, but that it's not surprising given how much football he's missed over the last year

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Not surprising at all (about Cable). Seems like since MRob left we have been searching for a good lead blocker. Why can't we develope one? I'd love to see someone lay the lumber on a defender.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
I can't help but think Sherman Smith might have realized Rawls was more hype than a future star. I used to mention similar things last year. I love Rawls positive can do mentality, but he needs to run to playside with constantly looking to modify the call.

sdog1981

Reaction score
RussB":bcv90ult said:
Rawls is pretty overrated, everyone crowned him too quick

Starting to look that way. In 2015 he had 830 yards in 7 starts so I can see where the hype train started.

themunn

Reaction score
Lynch was the same when he first arrived, averaged about 3.5 YPC through his first 18 games with us. In his first 6 games with Tom Cable as coach he ran for 263 yards on 74 carries (3.6 YPC - though around 1/6th of those yards came on 1 run, he was 3 YPC for the rest).

Once he settled down and trusted the scheme... well you know the rest.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
RussB":jwbc2b6h said:
Rawls is pretty overrated, everyone crowned him too quick

Agreed. To be the man that can carry the running game, you need a couple consecutive quality seasons, injuries or not.

I'm eagerly curious to see if Carson will be the man as I predict.