Out Coached....

pmedic920

Reaction score
I've been a big supporter of our coaching staff.
I'm very appreciative of what the current FO has done for the Seahawks.

But I'm finally convinced that we (the Seahawks) are being out coached on multiple levels.

I've admitted before, and I'll do it again now, I'm not an Xs & Os expert.

I'm at best a "cheerleader" type fan but I can even see that the current system won't work moving forward.

I think there is too much tape available, I think the other teams have figured us out.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I know that something needs to change if we want to remain a contender.

The Titans have grown, they are certainly an "up and comer" but they aren't a better team than the Seahawks are. They don't have more talent.

I think we are being out coached.

Sure there are many that have been saying the same thing for a long time, I'm just going on the record here for myself.

Not saying anybody needs to be fired, I'm saying that the Seahawks need to start doing something different if they want to "be there" in the end.

It's my humble opinion.
YMMV

NJlargent

Reaction score
This is a good post and change is definitely needed.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Need a change of philosophy for sure. This team is regressing fast...and should not be...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
This has been the case for some time.

The whole team feels stale - played out.

Agree - changes are needed and if rumors are true, after this season changes are a coming...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seahawks have lost a lot of good coaches in the last 2-3 years. I think it's starting to show. The replacements are just not as good as the guys we had in here at the beginning of the Pete Carrol era when he could hand pick the best of the best available.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pmedic920":23x80uxi said:
I've been a big supporter of our coaching staff.
I'm very appreciative of what the current FO has done for the Seahawks.

But I'm finally convinced that we (the Seahawks) are being out coached on multiple levels.

I've admitted before, and I'll do it again now, I'm not an Xs & Os expert.

I'm at best a "cheerleader" type fan but I can even see that the current system won't work moving forward.

I think there is too much tape available, I think the other teams have figured us out.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I know that something needs to change if we want to remain a contender.

The Titans have grown, they are certainly an "up and comer" but they aren't a better team than the Seahawks are. They don't have more talent.

I think we are being out coached.

Sure there are many that have been saying the same thing for a long time, I'm just going on the record here for myself.

Not saying anybody needs to be fired, I'm saying that the Seahawks need to start doing something different if they want to "be there" in the end.

It's my humble opinion.
YMMV

Watch out Pmedic...you may get called out for being critical of the team and coaches :)

I can't disagree with your opinion though. Good post.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bevell and Cable couldn't out coach Paul Wulff and Tyrone Willingham.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3oguh9sn said:
Seahawks have lost a lot of good coaches in the last 2-3 years. I think it's starting to show. The replacements are just not as good as the guys we had in here at the beginning of the Pete Carrol era when he could hand pick the best of the best available.
That's half of it. They've also retained the bad coaches, that's the other half of it.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
I've watched a few games where I felt our coaches got whipped up a bit. This wasn't one of them. This is a game where our front 7 got their hind ends spanked like tantrum throwing toddlers.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mariota, during his end of game interview, stated that the coaches made adjustments and it was very evident in the second half. Seemed like all we did was just react and changed to a hurry up offense.

We don't go down by 3 scores in the 3 quarter I wonder if we even do that.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":28mmth1l said:
I've watched a few games where I felt our coaches got whipped up a bit. This wasn't one of them. This is a game where our front 7 got their hind ends spanked like tantrum throwing toddlers.

I agree. Nice post. :2thumbs:

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I agree, the product is stale...the days of we'll just keep it vanilla and our superior talent will keep us winning are over...teams know what we do well and where we struggle, they've adapted so either we adapt to their adaptation or we die...and losses and barely eeked out wins over bad teams are piling up, we're slowly dying. It's time for the coaching staff to earn it's paycheck

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Good post. I respect your opinion. I don't agree with a lot of what you said, but respect the way you put it.

I don't think we are being outcoached, I just don't think we have that many good players on offense, particularly the offensive line At the end of the day, it comes down to the players.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
I just don't see the adjustments during the game from the coaching staff. Needs to change somehow.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Just a thought and observation...me not being an X's and O's guru either....but from what I understand, the difficulty of our OL to perform seems to be difficulty in picking up the zone blocking scheme? Again, as much as I understand (which I learn more and more everytime I think I get it), the zone blocking scheme seems to require quicker agile players (oftentimes meaning smaller guys) and a more coordinated effort by the whole line. A power scheme is more direct (I think) requiring coordination, but not as specific as zone blocking.

A power blocking scheme works better for more instinctive running backs, and from what I think I see from Carson is an ability to at least try to make something out of nothing....i.e. an instinctive back. Maybe Rawls is the same.

We won't go to it of course with our current coaching staff and philosophy, but it really makes me wonder sometimes if we did. Maybe it won't make a lick of difference one way or another!

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vh37ern0 said:
HawkFan72":vh37ern0 said:
That's half of it. They've also retained the bad coaches, that's the other half of it.

:lol:

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Mjolnir":33tdfq1f said:
Just a thought and observation...me not being an X's and O's guru either....but from what I understand, the difficulty of our OL to perform seems to be difficulty in picking up the zone blocking scheme? Again, as much as I understand (which I learn more and more everytime I think I get it), the zone blocking scheme seems to require quicker agile players (oftentimes meaning smaller guys) and a more coordinated effort by the whole line. A power scheme is more direct (I think) requiring coordination, but not as specific as zone blocking.

A power blocking scheme works better for more instinctive running backs, and from what I think I see from Carson is an ability to at least try to make something out of nothing....i.e. an instinctive back. Maybe Rawls is the same.

We won't go to it of course with our current coaching staff and philosophy, but it really makes me wonder sometimes if we did. Maybe it won't make a lick of difference one way or another!

Do you feel like our difficulty in blocking is purely in the run game? Because zone blocking has diddly squat to do with pass protection. Movement/athleticism is paramount in zone, strength/ability to physically dominate your opponent is the ticket in a more traditional drive blocking set. Pass protection is unaffected either way.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfish":233knlyh said:
I just don't see the adjustments during the game from the coaching staff. Needs to change somehow.

What is strange is that the Seahawks used to be one of the league's best at halftime adjustments. Now it seems they make very few. I wonder if one of the former assistant coaches/coordinators were the ones who really were good at that stuff.