Gassed defense or...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I've already seen and am preparing to see many more posts about how the defense was gassed. The hot field temperature didn't help any but we have seen this defense basically "gassed" early in the 2nd half of 3 straight games. Today, Tennessee had the ball for 31:42. An NFL game has 60 minutes of play in regulation. Tennessee had the ball a little over half the game. Going into any game, you have to count on roughly a 50/50 split of possession time. Why are they coming up so gassed so early? If the offense had the ball for 40 out of 60 then they might not be gassed. Is it conditioning?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":e2sftl6b said:
I've already seen and am preparing to see many more posts about how the defense was gassed. The hot field temperature didn't help any but we have seen this defense basically "gassed" early in the 2nd half of 3 straight games. Today, Tennessee had the ball for 31:42. An NFL game has 60 minutes of play in regulation. Tennessee had the ball a little over half the game. Going into any game, you have to count on roughly a 50/50 split of possession time. Why are they coming up so gassed so early? If the offense had the ball for 40 out of 60 then they might not be gassed. Is it conditioning?

I believe TOP was 20:10 in favor of Tennessee in the first half.

As bad as the entire team was the offense needs to be able to give the defense rest or this will continue to be the outcome.

Russell Wilson has been pretty horrible with scripted plays for the first 3 weeks and he was bad again in the first half.

At this point it's hard to see this team as a super bowl contender right now.

SeaChickN

Reaction score
I honestly think a lot of teams saw what made us successful a few years ago and have mimicked it, on both offense and defense. Add to that that they have a ton of tape on us now and know how to beat us. And we haven't adjusted.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I want to blame the offense for causing them to be gassed but....we dominated time of possession against the Niners early, and we were still gassed

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Our D is getting older and not able to recoup from the increasing time on the field.

It's how we used to beat other teams back in the Beast days.

Now it's being done to us.

We are a team on the decline. Been that way for a while.

It's getting tougher for some in here to deny that anymore.

The reboot button is going to get pushed in 2018...

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":ltkcjzfx said:
I want to blame the offense for causing them to be gassed but....we dominated time of possession against the Niners early, and we were still gassed

Nice that you noticed, the defense needs to get their act together and get their _____ in shape

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":2jfn1r5r said:
Scorpion05":2jfn1r5r said:

Nice that you noticed, the defense needs to get their act together and get their _____ in shape
I don't think it's being PUP, I think it's more mental. Rah rah aside, it must suck to see 5 or 6 straight 3 and outs. The other guys are playing an elite defense. The other teams' d's aren't that good yet every 2 minutes of play our d gets out there and the pound starts again. Ground hog day.

After a while, what's the point?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For a top defense, they have too many penalties on that side of the ball. That keeps drives alive and leads into them being gassed at the end too. It's just not on the offense but the offensive woes don't help.

saviva

Reaction score
The whole team is off -
the O Line was decent in the beginning, but the dropped passes and RW's errant passes meant stalled drives
the Defense was decent in the beginning, but Sherma's penalty and his followup meant Ten got a very fav. distance
Special teams was lucky to survive without their top two players

I don't see us winning many if they don't complement each other.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":24dju8lx said:
lacenterhawk":24dju8lx said:
Scorpion05":24dju8lx said:

I don't think it's being PUP, I think it's more mental. Rah rah aside, it must suck to see 5 or 6 straight 3 and outs. The other guys are playing an elite defense. The other teams' d's aren't that good yet every 2 minutes of play our d gets out there and the pound starts again. Ground hog day.

After a while, what's the point?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Really, Titans front 7 is extremely good. What game did you just watch. :34853_doh:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I lay a huge part of the blame on the heat. Reminded me of the hot San Diego game last year.

Seahawks have always done bad in 90+ degree heat. As soon as I saw the temperature was over 100 degrees on the field, I knew the Hawks were going to lose. They practice and play in nice, cooler weather for the majority of the year. When they play against a team that did training camp in 90 degree heat with humidity, they are not ready for it like that team is.

Their Defense was dominant in the first half and you could start to see them get worn down as the game went on. It just is not physically possible to put forth as much effort in pushing and blocking and running in that heat for 2+ hours.

The thing that concerns me is that we've given up a huge play in every game so far this year. Week 1, the huge TD pass to Nelson. In Week 2, the huge runs by Hyde. Multiple big plays in Week 3. That is most concerning to me. A Pete Carroll Defense does not give up plays like that and we've seen it 3 weeks in a row.

2_0_6

Reaction score
For some reason this team plays like crap in hot temps and on grass. Double whammy on both today. There was holes opening up for Tennessee in the second half big enough for my 38 year old frame through.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":bijdiwa6 said:
oldhawkfan":bijdiwa6 said:

I believe TOP was 20:10 in favor of Tennessee in the first half.

As bad as the entire team was the offense needs to be able to give the defense rest or this will continue to be the outcome.

Russell Wilson has been pretty horrible with scripted plays for the first 3 weeks and he was bad again in the first half.

At this point it's hard to see this team as a super bowl contender right now.

I've had a few drinks and don't want to get banned, but even entertaining the idea that the defense was tired to START THE SECOND HALF, might be the most laughably ridiculous hypothesis I've ever heard in my life.

djb28

Reaction score
On a positive note, It is early and we can catch fire. The team does have heart and showed that they aren't just laying down to die. They made a nice comeback but you can not let the defense play an entire game in the first half. It is unacceptable. The penalties are disgusting. They need to get their heads straight and cut down on this. There is so much talent here.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
djb28":33j7ig6o said:
On a positive note, It is early and we can catch fire. The team does have heart and showed that they aren't just laying down to die. They made a nice comeback but you can not let the defense play an entire game in the first half. It is unacceptable. The penalties are disgusting. They need to get their heads straight and cut down on this. There is so much talent here.

They might catch fire but it might not be the kind of fire you're hoping for...

DumpsterFire2

pottyp

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1ym4b9tj said:
For some reason this team plays like crap in hot temps and on grass. Double whammy on both today. There was holes opening up for Tennessee in the second half big enough for my 38 year old frame through.

Think the reason is pretty straightforward: its hard to be effective in the double whammy of 90-100 degree heat and high humidity if you aren't acclimated to it. pnw hawks aren't: they perennially struggle in early season games in hot climes. i'd add that if you took a few seattleites to hotlanta and asked them to put in a few hours labor outside mid august, they might have similar results.

blkhwk

Reaction score
SeaChickN":1xcsi0ec said:
I honestly think a lot of teams saw what made us successful a few years ago and have mimicked it, on both offense and defense. Add to that that they have a ton of tape on us now and know how to beat us. And we haven't adjusted.

I think this is it! The 'Hawks have not adjusted or evolved much. In the early Carroll years, they played no huddle with TJack because it was what was keeping 'em in games.....on defense we had the "Bandit" that used all the DB's when the LB's were not athletic enough. Since 12-13, it has been the "this is who we are and this is what we do" ...... In reality, its this is what I am, and this is how I want it to be.

Evolve or die!