What does it take to turn this around?

saviva

Reaction score
Unfortunately no quick fixes - we can't get pro bowl o linemen. Not a good idea to change coaching staff mid season...

How about next year?
Some ideas:
Get young on the defense. Let go of some of the pricier defensive personnel and use the money on offense.
Get some talent on the O Line. Be ready to pay for them
Coaching staff has to change - make the best use of the talent and not just stick to the philosophy (Carroll) when we don't have the right personnel
Most important - Do a honest postmortem of the last 3 seasons and learn from it.

Thoughts?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
I am not going to give this offense a mulligan. They put up yardage and points after TEN went prevent defense. December 10, 2012 the Ravens fired Cam Cameron and went on to win the SB. We need to follow Suit with bevell. The playcalling AFTER having success running the ball was puke worthy. 3 straight passes after Carson rips 5-7 yarders?

Optimus25

Reaction score
ludakrishna":cs8ym7vc said:
I am not going to give this offense a mulligan. They put up yardage and points after TEN went prevent defense. December 10, 2012 the Ravens fired Cam Cameron and went on to win the SB. We need to follow Suit with bevell. The playcalling AFTER having success running the ball was puke worthy. 3 straight passes after Carson rips 5-7 yarders?

Truth. Please send a message one damn time Pete.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ludakrishna":4v4le0w3 said:

You have no reason to call that bad play-calling except your own preferences and perceptions on what good play-calling is.

Bevell's errors lay elsewhere, and truthfully, they weren't a problem either this week or last. You're seeing what you want to see.

inda2o6

Reaction score
Use the money freed up next season from losing luke & Jimmy to freeagency on O-Lineman & hire new OC and OL coach. Bench the RT, admit he was a draft reach & a mistake. Get comp pick from losing Jimmy, trade that for more picks, draft more defensive players and tall WR. Trade out of the 1st round and hope a good lineman doesnt get drafted before we can get him. Hope mcdowell is healthy enough to play, in case we lose sheldon to free agency. Don't call 3 pass plays in a row at the 5 yrd line, when you have a bulldozer for a rb. Re-sign reese to play fullback this season. Cut Jeremy Lane saves more money, next year. :177692: I sold my GM hat on craigslist, so i can't make these things happen... :sarcasm_on:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
OL.. even a somewhat functional one.

Will keep the O on the field
Will tire the D out
Will allow 3 to be more flexible in what he does.
Will allow 3 to pass more effectively
Will give the opposing offense less time to score points so we don't have to score more points.
and on
and on and on....

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
I'm actually feeling more optimistic after today's loss than last week's win. The Hawks faced a stronger opponent on the road in rough conditions and the offense (eventually) actually looked solid. The defensive breakdowns were uncharacteristic and may not have had more to do with the heat than anything, so I'm not too worried.

With that said, the offense has to find a way to get their rhythm earlier. You're not going to win against the best teams with your offense only waking up for the second half of the game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I haven't quit caring.

But I quit expecting as much.

So the answer to your question is weaker opponents and better weather.

The problem is that we just are a good team now, not a great one. We might still win the division but likely not.

And considering how the Seahawks are put together, it is only homerism that would still expect us to do well in the playoffs.

We are like a crappier version of the the Steelers were, a team that ruled with defense, lost some players and then put it all on the offenses shoulders - only to still be considered a 'threat' but not really do much again.

The sound you are hearing is the sound of the SB window slamming shut. Without a great OC to potentially offset the aging of our defense, without good draft picks to offset the great years we got from Scott's influence on the draft, and with the ridiculous number of bad contracts we keep giving FOs....we don't really have much to offer as a SB threat.

Wilson is going to figure this out too. The love the League gave Wilson as 'The Next Big Thing' is going to go to other guys. Wilson is going to be a dangerous scrambling QB that can put up big #s and is hard to tackle but isn't a guy that will carry a team. (Think McNabb) but a lot of that will be because he has an OC holding him back.

We won't turn this around. Pete won't can his average OC. He will still cling to the delusion we can run with a barely effective OL, and Cable will continue to push for guys that are 'mean and nasty' instead of just capable.

We will win some games, and with our easy schedule probably look like we are getting better. But it will only be weaker opponents and once we play good teams we will get exposed and outcoached again.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":j3xkcbuk said:
ludakrishna":j3xkcbuk said:

You have no reason to call that bad play-calling except your own preferences and perceptions on what good play-calling is.

Bevell's errors lay elsewhere, and truthfully, they weren't a problem either this week or last. You're seeing what you want to see.

BS
The opening drive of the second half is what THIS offense COULD be when good play calling and use of personnel are utilized. Unfortunately, IT WORKED and therefore Bevell quit doing it. He is a complete moron.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Aside from coaching changes mid season, we're going to need patience. We just need to hope that Cable can somehow get this o line to be below average, opposed to terrible.

On defense, replace Lane with Griffin and Wilhoite with Garvin or Alexander.

Scheme wise on offense, it's quite obvious this offense can only perform in hurry up/desperation situations. Pete needs to release the leash on Wilson and let him ball. Allow him to play up tempo and loose, that's when he's at his best.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ctq5gov said:
ludakrishna":2ctq5gov said:

After CJ and Carson pick up 2 1st downs running, our next play on 1st down? Russ gets immediate pressure (empty backfield). 2nd down? Playaction to Jimmy who is running parallel to the Line of scrimmage. 3rd down? Scramble drill...instead of throwing to what looked to be an open CJ, Wilson did his usual Hero Ball pass to Richardson which got deflected. The Titans couldn't stop us from running that drive and we completely abandon it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They turn it around just about every year after slow starts. Need to run the damn ball more and keep that D fresh.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Either get rid of Cable or Bevell.. and build the offense for whoever you keep. Let go of some aged vets on defense I don’t know who necessarily but we need younger people now on defense. I notice the biggest issue on defense is, some of the guys aren’t getting anytime to learn anything. Make the CBS rotate like our line. Or Become situational, these younger guys How many CBs have we gone through who either get cut or we don’t even see?

Lane sucks his speed doesn’t matter being made off glass, Sherman is great but imo is now more of a situational player, and gets burned easily (then tantrums happen) Kams slow or looks to have lost a step (opinion) Earls well.. the dude is a stud. Bennett, well he got his “raise” or extension and has now become “comfortable” and our defensive version of Okung. Does good when he’s not committing a penalty, but commits more penalties than he does good.

1st paragraph I feel would help. The 2nd goes I feel is where some issues might be but overall kind of a rant as well Lol

Seymour

Reaction score
It cannot ever be turned around if the serious flaw with oline talent evaluation goes uncorrected. The only hope would be pure luck in getting quality players, and even then they could get released like we saw happen last year to Evans.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ludakrishna":bxser5fm said:
MontanaHawk05":bxser5fm said:
ludakrishna":bxser5fm said:

After CJ and Carson pick up 2 1st downs running, our next play on 1st down? Russ gets immediate pressure (empty backfield). 2nd down? Playaction to Jimmy who is running parallel to the Line of scrimmage. 3rd down? Scramble drill...instead of throwing to what looked to be an open CJ, Wilson did his usual Hero Ball pass to Richardson which got deflected. The Titans couldn't stop us from running that drive and we completely abandon it.

So you're blaming 1) pass protection, 2) Wilson's decision-making and maybe play design, 3) Wilson's decision making.

You're saying there are several things contributing to the offensive problems. THAT I would agree with. I wouldn't say play-calling is the problem there.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28oti2lq said:
ludakrishna":28oti2lq said:
MontanaHawk05":28oti2lq said:
ludakrishna":28oti2lq said:

So you're blaming 1) pass protection, 2) Wilson's decision-making and maybe play design, 3) Wilson's decision making.

You're saying there are several things contributing to the offensive problems. THAT I would agree with. I wouldn't say play-calling is the problem there.

Were we running a no huddle? No. It was plays being called by Bevell. 1.) I'll give it to you. Although, why stop running until the defense can show that they can stop you? 2.) Wrong. There was only one receiver on the side RW rolled out to after PA. Jimmy was 1yd behind LOS on that side. Again, Bevell called the play, not RW. Should he take a sack? What other decision could he have made? 3.) 3rd and 11. I dont expect this to be converted due to the terrible play calls on 1st and 2nd down. Atleast we didnt have a Mack Strong FB draw ....

themunn

Reaction score
ludakrishna":5udb19ca said:

You don't go prevent D in the third quarter... with 14 minutes to go it was a 10 point game (following the failed 2pt conversion), having already scored 3 TDs by that point. We then drove up the field and if not for an intentional grounding we could have had it back to a one score game with 7 minutes to go - plenty of time.

The final scoring drive was prevent yes, but on the three scoring drives they certainly weren't (hell, on the third TD we converted successive 20+ yard passes to get the TD, isn't that exactly what prevent D is supposed to stop?)

StoneCold

Reaction score
How's about we wait to the year is over to decide how the year went?