Michael Bennett (not political)

seabowl

Reaction score
For many years Michael has been a very good player for us however I believe he is now on the downside of his career. How many times can he jump offsides and in key situations? It's to the point of being absolutely ridiculous. This has been going on for years with him and I was able to live with it when his play was at a different level but not anymore.

Also is it me or does he look much heavier than in the past?

Whatever the case his production and penalties are to the point of, IMO, time to look for his replacement after the year is over as long as it makes financial sense.

Thoughts?

IrishNW

Reaction score
I think he has a bum knee and its catching up with him finally

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He's always jumped off sides, or one year he would be totally lined up off sides.. on consecutive plays as I recall.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He works best as a rotation player. He has played a ton of snaps for this team but I think they need to start limiting the amount of snaps he gets so he can do the most damage on passing downs. He only played around 550 snaps during the 2013 season since then he has been on the field for over 800 every season. He is a smaller lineman so that has to take a toll.

brains123

Reaction score
These offside are driving me mad! I love Bennett though, I'm not ready to write him off yet.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
He was a great player who was penalty-prone.

Now he's devolved into a solid player who is penalty and bad attitude-prone.

Rumors are he is also one of the main locker room snipers against certain other players including the one who happens to have the biggest contract.

He was great in his day but perhaps that day has passed.

Now he might be more poison than positive.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It was a mistake to give him and Chancellor those contract extensions imo.

We need players on the south side of 30 who are hungry to win and prove themselves, opposed to older players who are basically being rewarded for past performances.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jerhawk":rorlxagk said:

We need players on the south side of 30 who are hungry to win and prove themselves, opposed to older players who are basically being rewarded for past performances.

Seems to be Pete's MO and we're paying for it.

I get keeping great talent but both Bennett and Kam are not the players they were a few seasons ago and Bennett in particular has apparently become poison behind the scenes and that poison has spread. He also seems to be carrying a bit of extra weight this season which you never saw from him before.

If so is that weight due to injury? Attitude? Or perhaps both?

massari

Reaction score
Can't see how he's declined yet, but I've always been for trading guys who still have a lot of value for high draft picks once they've hit a certain age...was hoping they'd deal Bennett/Sherman/Avril and possibly Kam this past off season for high picks then use the money to sign younger free agents.

RussB

Reaction score
Shouldnt have resigned him , should have given nice contracts to whitworth and TJ lang and we would have a good O line right now instead of a distraction.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RussB":cijfqbqw said:
Shouldnt have resigned him , should have given nice contracts to whitworth and TJ lang and we would have a good O line right now instead of a distraction.
TJ Lang wasn't coming here regardless. He wanted to play at home.

RussB

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3lgtab4v said:
RussB":3lgtab4v said:
TJ Lang wasn't coming here regardless. He wanted to play at home.
I think if they gave him a significant offer that was bigger than detroit theres a strong chance he would have came to seattle. If not they should have gotten whitworth he was up for grabs, rams got him and look at them now, hes a big difference maker.

stizz19

Reaction score
massari":48iczofk said:
Can't see how he's declined yet, but I've always been for trading guys who still have a lot of value for high draft picks once they've hit a certain age...was hoping they'd deal Bennett/Sherman/Avril and possibly Kam this past off season for high picks then use the money to sign younger free agents.

So instead of a 10-13 win season you wanted a 5-7 win season? Wow do you know anything about football?

massari

Reaction score
stizz19":3kbajaq6 said:
massari":3kbajaq6 said:

So instead of a 10-13 win season you wanted a 5-7 win season? Wow do you know anything about football?
tenor.gif

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
brains123":z11yfacr said:
These offside are driving me mad! I love Bennett though, I'm not ready to write him off yet.

Great avatar pic dude! And welcome to the forum.

I think Bennett still is capable of playing at a high level, but the moments will be fewer due to age and wear/tear. His trade value could return a decent player but I don't see JS making in-season moves with any starters.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Y'all realize Martellus Bennett was with the Pats all last year, right? He talks plenty and stayed with them through their superbowl win. So the whole Belichick would've cut him for speaking out idea is probably not true.

What's this about Bennett talking smack about Russ? During the summer he was very protective of Russ after those stories came out. There's even a thread here full of people scoffing at Bennett saying the team "couldn't win a game without Russ."

Josea16

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2m0v7yzh said:

Big time. Hope both among few other veterans are playing somewhere else next year. It's time for at least a partial housecleaning.

Burnplant

Reaction score
I've lurked this forum for years, and signed up some years ago but rarely post.

This is some real ignorant stuff out here today.

Clark and Avril jump offsides too, it's a style we have and has paid dividends when things are working.

They are timing the snap and when it works, it's awesome and gives an advantage...when it doesn't, it's a penalty. It's been this way for years.

Stuff is not working right now. But lack of effort or even being effective should not be pointed at Bennett.

If you've ever watched Seahawks football you would know that even in our best years September was scrape-by to garbage games. Not saying we will pull out of like we have in the past, maybe this year we don't, but calling for our best and dedicated players heads? Go root for laundry like the Pats...it is more successful and I suspect certain people here would rather root for Brady anyway. just pull the trigger. no one will miss you.

Bennett still plays at a decently high level, has never bashed Russ and I'm not even going to pretend why some of you simpletons are singling him out.

I