Smash mouth running backs and dominant defense

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
I always hear people attribute the success of the back to back Superbowl teams to The Legion of Doom OR Marshawn but I never hear anyone bring up the fact that Marshawn's clock eating is what allowed the D to be so good as a result of their energy being preserved.

Beast's positive impact on the D became more evident today when today's team couldn't hold onto the ball when it was on offense and as a result, our D looked worn down. Since Beast's departure, our D (in addition to the team, in general) has been on a decline and I think it's due to not having someone who can eat up the clock.

Is this correlation between smash mouth RBs and a dominant D assumed or did I just make a break through? :lol:

Jump to 1:30 to hear Beast talk about it:

[youtube]SuMthBslu_0[/youtube]

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lynch is a HOF quality RB.

Of COURSE, he helped the defense.

We don't have a HOF runningback we can throw at a team behind a mediocre line.

RussB

Reaction score
Running the ball is VERY important to the success of a team. Especially one with a good defense, it keeps the defense of the feild, chews clock and holds leads, and beats the opposing defense down. If you look at it a good running game is a very instrumental part of success with great defenses.

Denver had a pretty good running game when they won it in 2015, falcons have a good one and is a big part of why their offense is so dangerous, even though panthers didnt win superbowl 50, their running game controlled games they played and got them to the SB. If the seahawks are going to win another superbowl, they need to make a few trades, pick up some linemen and start to control the line of scrimmage or else its going to be a waste of a defense that is capable of so much more.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":3l72uafr said:
I always hear people attribute the success of the back to back Superbowl teams to The Legion of Doom OR Marshawn but I never hear anyone bring up the fact that Marshawn's clock eating is what allowed the D to be so good as a result of their energy being preserved.

Beast's positive impact on the D became more evident today when today's team couldn't hold onto the ball when it was on offense and as a result, our D looked worn down. Since Beast's departure, our D (in addition to the team, in general) has been on a decline and I think it's due to not having someone who can eat up the clock.

Is this correlation between smash mouth RBs and a dominant D assumed or did I just make a break through? :lol:

Jump to 1:30 to hear Beast talk about it:

[youtube]SuMthBslu_0[/youtube]

Actually I've brought it up many times.

It's why I'm a HOF poster and a crucial link to what is really going on with this team...

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
RussB":1gue6vg0 said:
Running the ball is VERY important to the success of a team. Especially one with a good defense, it keeps the defense of the feild, chews clock and holds leads, and beats the opposing defense down. If you look at it a good running game is a very instrumental part of success with great defenses.

Denver had a pretty good running game when they won it in 2015, falcons have a good one and is a big part of why their offense is so dangerous, even though panthers didnt win superbowl 50, their running game controlled games they played and got them to the SB. If the seahawks are going to win another superbowl, they need to make a few trades, pick up some linemen and start to control the line of scrimmage or else its going to be a waste of a defense that is capable of so much more.

Good post, I agree. The line is the most important part of a football team now days outside of the QB.