0-16 on Opening Drives

Seymour

Reaction score
Heard this on the way to work. In the last 16 games we are 0-16 in a game opening TD drives.

Talk about a team hell bent on imposing it's outdated will whether it is working or not. :roll:

This is epic stubborn failure, and it's not getting better. Pete--Cable--Bevell have destroyed a very good team, and now the D is failing as well. This isn't just about opening drives. It continues much of the 1st half...game after game.

Cntrl--Alt--Del

Don't get me wrong, this game was on the D, but still this problem on offense is ripping the team in half. They do not play as a team any longer, they play as several individual units standing on the same side of the field.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Has the RW/PC era of Seahawks football ever seen the team very successful on its opening drive (or even the opening quarter)?

Wonder if there are accompanying stats to go with 0-16 to see if the issue has always been there or is new.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Funny part is the first drive is generally scripted and most teams come out firing for at least the first drive. Seahawks just love to punt.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Last week they should have had a TD if not for the Prosise drop. So it's not all bad playcalling or schemes.

But yeah, it is a troubling trend that they always start so slow.

Optimus25

Reaction score
HawkFan72":w7053f9c said:
Last week they should have had a TD if not for the Prosise drop. So it's not all bad playcalling or schemes.

I'd accept this post in the same regard at 1-15.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Optimus25":14cbl4r4 said:
HawkFan72":14cbl4r4 said:

I'd accept this post in the same regard at 1-15.

A drop is 1 play. There are still 3 more downs to move forward and score.

You cannot selectively say this drop should not count. You have to do the same with every other "sure thing" play like dropped interceptions, wind blowing field goals, penalties that give the other team the 1st down, rain and wet balls, on and on.

Also....nobody in the NFL catches 100% of "catchable" balls thrown to them. NOBODY, yet people want to count these as 100% catches when it fits their narrative.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
It may not be bad scheme, but with the talent we have, i'd call it lack of coaching. Position coaching not drilling till basics are automatic, coordinators for not holding position coaches and players to task. Head coach not holding coordinators, position coaches, and players to task.

Whether we debate scheme or not, it's coaching the players up. But a 0/16 could be looked at as though a scheme change could make coaching easier. We can see that Russ isn't ready to throw until about the third series, and scheme is dependant on qa more dominate performance out of the gate.

ducks41468

Reaction score
It all goes back to the staff's extreme risk aversion. They take a wait-and-see approach on offense early in the game, at least until they fall behind by multiple scores. It makes no sense because's there's no concept of second mover advantage in football, but that seems to be how the coaches play it.

mikeak

Reaction score
As I posted a week or so ago

We were ranked 22nd last year in either getting a first down or a TD for a drive..... We were the 22nd team and yet we made the playoffs

Our offensive ineptitude is not 3 games - it was all of last season plus this year

adeltaY

Reaction score
They also had an excellent opening drive capped off with a TD to Graham @ ATL in the divisional round. Then the team fell apart :/

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3kdsqbx7 said:
Has the RW/PC era of Seahawks football ever seen the team very successful on its opening drive (or even the opening quarter)?

Wonder if there are accompanying stats to go with 0-16 to see if the issue has always been there or is new.

I went and looked at the data on the opening drive since it was easy to quickly go through it to see if a touchdown was scored on the opening drive (note: an error here or there is possible since I quickly ran through):

2016 - 0 Regular Season (Reg) // 1 Playoff (Play)
2015 - 4 Reg // 0 Play
2014 - 3 Reg // 0 Play
2013 - 2 Reg // 0 Play (including Super Bowl)
2012 - 5 Reg // 0 Play
2011 - 5 Reg // <DNQ for Playoffs>
2010 - 4 Reg // 0 Play

I didn't parse it out for any scoring in the first quarter, but this team generally doesn't score in the first quarter under Carroll. Any kind of score only occurs about half the time if my perceived observation running through it is correct. Weird how the only playoff game they scored a touchdown in the opening drive was was against Atlanta last year.